Tertiary and Continuing Doing Medicine/Science Based Courses

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Decided against doing any science subjects in VCE because I had four ordinary teachers from year seven to year ten, and while I don't blame them entirely, they definitely turned me off since and weren't a big help. Three were new to the school (and were clueless about discipline and focusing on helping the struggling) and one was just ordinary who left at year's end.

Anyway, even though right now I don't see myself wanting to do something related to medicine or science, if by some chance in the future I decide I want to do medicine for example, am I able to somehow?

Graduate entry places do not necessarily have to have had a science/health based undergraduate degree, but this is the norm.

You can't do a degree in tiddlywinks and expect to get in however, as despite the increase in places, the number of quality applicants still far exceeds the number of spots.

The GAMSAT includes a test of science knowledge, which I suppose doesn't have to be learnt at university.

Chemistry and a somewhat advanced form of Maths are the usual pre-requisites for undergraduate places.

Decided against doing any science subjects in VCE because I had four ordinary teachers from year seven to year ten, and while I don't blame them entirely, they definitely turned me off since and weren't a big help. Three were new to the school (and were clueless about discipline and focusing on helping the struggling) and one was just ordinary who left at year's end.

Anyway, even though right now I don't see myself wanting to do something related to medicine or science, if by some chance in the future I decide I want to do medicine for example, am I able to somehow?

All depends on the prerequisites for the course. Something like medicine would have a science backed prerequisite if going straight from high school. If going as a mature aged student then it would all depend on past studies and any relevant work history.

So you want to do medicine and science but have s**t teaches or it just doesn't interest you now but you might change your mind?

Either way the best bit I reckon for uni is to do something you enjoy but that gives you a specific skill set that will make you highly employable within the field or give you the skills to be able to launch a business or income yourself. Personally I don't think generalist degrees like: Arts, Commerce (unless it is tied to accountancy), History etc achieve this. Worst advice students are told is if you are not sure do something generalist. Pfffft. Sure way to end up in debt and unemployable. If unsure work and defer if you even want to go to uni.

Every 2nd person goes to uni and has skills so it is no guarantee. Think of it more as a head start and a great chance to launch young provided you have the right skill.

There's a few people in my post-grad medicine course that come from non-science backgrounds, but they do have to work harder to keep up. Definitely do-able though.

The tough thing about coming from a non-science background is that half the GAMSAT is set at first year knowledge of chemistry and biology and year 12 physics. But it is definitely possible to study for the GAMSAT without having done a science course, just will require a lot of work. However if you come from something like an arts background, the other half of the GAMSAT is very artsy.

All depends on the prerequisites for the course. Something like medicine would have a science backed prerequisite if going straight from high school. If going as a mature aged student then it would all depend on past studies and any relevant work history.

So you want to do medicine and science but have s**t teaches or it just doesn't interest you now but you might change your mind?

Either way the best bit I reckon for uni is to do something you enjoy but that gives you a specific skill set that will make you highly employable within the field or give you the skills to be able to launch a business or income yourself. Personally I don't think generalist degrees like: Arts, Commerce (unless it is tied to accountancy), History etc achieve this. Worst advice students are told is if you are not sure do something generalist. Pfffft. Sure way to end up in debt and unemployable. If unsure work and defer if you even want to go to uni.

Every 2nd person goes to uni and has skills so it is no guarantee. Think of it more as a head start and a great chance to launch young provided you have the right skill.

Well said!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back