Teams Dolphins

Remove this Banner Ad

The QRL team have made the Grand Final.
Unfortunately couldn't get over the line but it's clear that Redcliffe already has quite a bit of talent on their books and you'd expect some of those players to make the jump into their NRL team next year. It's a lot like Port Adelaide when they won the SANFL Premiership in 1996 and then made the jump into the AFL in 1997 where they brought in players from that '96 SANFL premiership team like Warren Tredrea, Peter Burgoyne, Darren Mead and Michael Wilson.

It's an interesting list build from the Dolphins to date. They've definitely prioritised Queenslanders (as you would expect) but there's a decent amount of talent from other areas as well:

Queensland (12)
  • JJ Collins (Tweed Heads/QRL)
  • Trai Fuller (Redcliffe/QRL)
  • Tom Gilbert (North Queensland)
  • Harrison Graham (Wynnum-Manly/QRL)
  • Cody Hunter (Redcliffe/QRL)
  • Ryan Jackson (Wynnum-Manly/QRL)
  • Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne)
  • Brenko Lee (Brisbane)
  • Edrick Lee (Newcastle)
  • Anthony Milford (Newcastle)
  • Jarrod Wallace (Gold Coast)
  • Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (North Queensland)
New South Wales (10)
  • Euan Aitken (NZ Warriors)
  • Jack Bostock (St George)
  • Robert Jennings (Penrith)
  • Isaiya Katoa (Penrith)
  • Jeremy Marshall-King (Canterbury)
  • Mark Nicholls (South Sydney)
  • Sean O'Sullivan (Penrith)
  • Michael Roberts (Northern Rivers/CRL)
  • Ray Stone (Parramatta)
  • Mason Teague (Penrith)
New Zealand (8)
  • Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne)
  • Kenny Bromwich (Melbourne)
  • Herman Ess'ese (Gold Coast)
  • Jamayne Isaako (Gold Coast)
  • Connelly Lemuelu (North Queensland)
  • Kodi Nikorima (South Sydney)
  • Valynce Te Whare (Redcliffe/QRL)
  • Setu Tu (Redcliffe/QRL)
Papua New Guinea (1)
  • Jeremiah Simibiken (Redcliffe/QRL)

They've certainly targeted Penrith's depth as well with four signings from their reserves/U19s teams. Smart list management to target the depth of the deepest region of rugby league talent in the country. Good mix of Redcliffe players in there as well with five from their 2022 QRL list. Perhaps most interesting is the amount of QRL players they've signed with nearly a third of their list coming from that competition and most being Queenslanders but I'm guessing this is very intentional as they intend to sign Cameron Munster next year as their massive Queensland signing.

Last edited:

Dolphins official home jersey leaked. So ugly :( I saw literally 50 better fan-made ideas over the course of this year 😡

Legit, you have to be kidding me.
1664766737856.png

I also saw hundreds of better fan made options too. That is horrible.

How do the people they pay a lot of money to come up with this, have this as their recommendation and design?

Legit, you have to be kidding me.
View attachment 1524836

I also saw hundreds of better fan made options too. That is horrible.

How do the people they pay a lot of money to come up with this, have this as their recommendation and design?
Reckon it's only a matter of time before they change both the "The" name and the jersey. Like someone said in that article i posted....Redcliffe have done everything wrong as an expansion team, a lesson in what not to do fpr future expansion teams.

Reckon the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants also tho match the Dolphins lame effort.

It's unique or different to other clubs, so in that sense it's working as intended.

Still reckon the gold should've been used more sparingly. Nothing wrong with say an all-red jersey with a bit of gold here and there -- collar, sleeves, a stripe on the shoulder. But a whole almost equal share of gold to the red does make it look too candy-like.

They really should've just used the Heritage jersey as the main home jersey. It's classical, traditional, and does have a bit of gold here and there.

Anyway, it is what it is, I am sure no one will care once the Dolphins start winning

Imo tho.....I'm imagining the Home jersey could've been say all red with a thin white stripe between two thin gold stripes along the shoulders/sleeves, kinda harking to the heritage. Gold collar, gold trim on sleeves, gold numbers. White shorts with a thin red stripe between two thin gold stripes. Red socks with a thin white stripe between two thin gold stripes at the top.

So for Away, the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've got it back to front. If anything, the "heritage" is iconic and classical, has meaning. Also, uses gold as a trim as it should've been. And the "home" is actually more akin to a gimmicky over-colorful "alternate" jersey.

Hopefully, Dolphins Corporate hear the people and make the change before the season begins.

No doubt imo the heritage will outsell the vanilla coke.

It's unique or different to other clubs, so in that sense it's working as intended.

Still reckon the gold should've been used more sparingly. Nothing wrong with say an all-red jersey with a bit of gold here and there -- collar, sleeves, a stripe on the shoulder. But a whole almost equal share of gold to the red does make it look too candy-like.

They really should've just used the Heritage jersey as the main home jersey. It's classical, traditional, and does have a bit of gold here and there.

Anyway, it is what it is, I am sure no one will care once the Dolphins start winning
Seemed like the public hated it. Going to be hard for them to compete with the classic Broncos maroon jersey but as you pointed out, if they start winning then people will stop caring. Although I'm not overly confident that they'll win a lot of games with the squad they've assembled to date...

Seemed like the public hated it. Going to be hard for them to compete with the classic Broncos maroon jersey but as you pointed out, if they start winning then people will stop caring. Although I'm not overly confident that they'll win a lot of games with the squad they've assembled to date...
The Wayne Bennett factor will instantly make this average squad at best play above their weight class. Not sure where, but anywhere from 14th to 9th placed finish seems realistic, especially given the number of other teams in quite a lot of disarray.

The Wayne Bennett factor will instantly make this average squad at best play above their weight class. Not sure where, but anywhere from 14th to 9th placed finish seems realistic, especially given the number of other teams in quite a lot of disarray.
I would guess around 12th. 6-8 wins feels like a realistic goal next year.

Obviously it's great to see NRL clubs and companies partnering on social and other initiatives, but my attention was drawn to the player on the far left who looks to be wearing an "away" version of the heritage jersey. And the player on the far right could be wearing the "home" version of the heritage.

Interesting that apparently theres a home and an away heritage jersey.

Especially as the Dolphins have already released a home and away kit as well.

The RL expansion thread is locked so posting this here....

------

The Dolphins should be the fourth and final NRL team in Queensland, according to the game’s top coaches.

The Sunshine State has been snubbed in the expansion debate following News Corp’s 2023 NRL Coaches’ Survey.

The Dolphins, based at Redcliffe, will become the NRL’s 17th team this season after securing the first expansion licence since the Gold Coast Titans in 2007.

But they should be the last in Queensland if the NRL decides to expand again in the coming years to create an 18-team competition, as planned.

A resounding 52 per cent of coaches surveyed believe the NRL should launch a Perth team if expansion goes ahead again.

That was the leading response, with 22 per cent believing the game should not expand any time soon.

A second New Zealand team to join the Auckland-based Warriors came in with 14 per cent of the vote while the Central Coast, North Sydney and Pacific each received four per cent.

Interestingly, Queensland was snubbed in the debate despite boasting less than 25 per cent of teams in the NRL and being a rugby league-mad state.

The Dolphins will join the Titans, Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys this year.

A third Brisbane team has been mooted as a potential expansion club to give the Broncos a genuine inner-city rival, given the Dolphins are based on the outskirts of Brisbane.

The Dolphins beat the Jets and Firehawks bids for the 17th licence when it was awarded in late 2021. The Ipswich/western corridor remains a heartland region for rugby league and is a growing area that has the potential to provide rugby league with increased crowds and boost television ratings.

But the NRL’s coaches do not believe that is the best scenario, with some pointing out to a lack of depth in playing ranks following the introduction of the Dolphins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back