Dom Sheed 'on the verge of greatness'

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
The beauty of our midfield now is that one week Gaff could play on ball while Redden/Sheed spend on the outside. Then the following week Redden/sSheed feed the rest of our mids.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
His last 3 weeks have been great. It took some time but our coached made the right call with him and Gaff.

Also one of least assuming stoppage beasts in the comp. Just isn't nuggety or built like a brick s**t house but gets it done at the coal face. His hands in tight are bloody elite.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually thought he got pushed off it a lot late in the Adelaide game. When the whips were cracking it was Shuey, Yeo and Redden who got it done against the big bodies of Greenwood and Ellis-Yolmen. Sheed was very good for the first three quarters though

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
verge.jpg

His kicking has become a real weapon - which is a real turnaround from what we were expecting post-draft

Reminds me a lot of Mark Nicoski’s kick actually

Hits his kicks low and hard with a lot of penetration - but sometimes pokes at the mid range kick and is more inconsistent

Was Judd the last goal a game midfielder we’ve had? Embley?

His last 3 weeks have been great. It took some time but our coached made the right call with him and Gaff.

You don't think Marsdens ommission and our midfield balance being corrected had something to do with it?

Sheed is having a statistically comparable year to tim kelly atm with non of the recognition .

If he played for a victorian team he would be lauded for his season so far .

VFL media determined to pump up Kelly's value as much as possible before he comes out of contract.

VFL media determined to pump up Kelly's value as much as possible before he comes out of contract.
Also, most of them are lazy when it comes to clubs they haven't an interest in.
Much easier just to rock up and say "he's kicked a big goal before".

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
His kicking has become a real weapon - which is a real turnaround from what we were expecting post-draft

Reminds me a lot of Mark Nicoski’s kick actually

Hits his kicks low and hard with a lot of penetration - but sometimes pokes at the mid range kick and is more inconsistent

Was Judd the last goal a game midfielder we’ve had? Embley?

Shuey in 2015 was the last. Kick 24 goals that year.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Still hate seeing opponents run past him with no pressure, doesn't have a quick first few steps.
More of a rolls Royce than a ferrari .

But look at guys like bont , cripps pendlebury. Non are quick at all .

What sheed does have going for him is great hands in close and a lethal left foot when he gets space on the outside .

If he could lift his tackle numbers to 3-4 a game he would be getting into elite A grade territory

Atm averaging 28 disposals 12 contested 6 clearances 6 marks 4 i50s and a goal a game .

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
One the most complete games I have seen him play on the weekend.

Was great in tight and worked hard offensive, and actually laid 4 or 5 tackles as well

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

What sheed does have going for him is great hands in close and a lethal left foot when he gets space on the outside .

If he could lift his tackle numbers to 3-4 a game he would be getting into elite A grade territory

Atm averaging 28 disposals 12 contested 6 clearances 6 marks 4 i50s and a goal a game .

Great numbers by Sheed. I think he can still go up a notch yet too.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually thought he got pushed off it a lot late in the Adelaide game. When the whips were cracking it was Shuey, Yeo and Redden who got it done against the big bodies of Greenwood and Ellis-Yolmen. Sheed was very good for the first three quarters though
10 disposals and 8 of them were contested in the 3rd qt. He helped sark our revival. Still not a complete 4 qt player but a lot better than he was in 2018. Once his tank improves his tank he's gonna be scary and maybe in the convo for a Brownlow.

At one stage i was scared he was gonna be a Tom Mitchell type scenario, where he would move for better opportunity and just kill it at another club. So glad we have got thing right now.

Reminiscence

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Charlotte Hornets

He has terrific hands in close now which makes him an excellent inside-outside midfielder.
One of the biggest improvements has actually come at how much cleaner at the first bite of the cherry he is this year, which is why his contested disposals and clearances are up. 2-3 times a game there would be times he wouldn't be clean and simply get bumped off the ball or tackled to a standstill.
There's a lot more consistency in his pickup of the ball after hitting the ground and is far less fumbly in close.
He's always had good hands in the contest. He now has great hands.

Sheed's always shown glimpses of this, but none probably speak to it better than this passage at 4:03 in the Grand Final.

His handball is ridiculously quick under immense pressure, one clean grab; a bit off Shuey but few other players if any on our list could of pulled that handball of that quickly.

Nice glimpses here in Eagle Review; Timestamp 4:38 & just after and at 4:41

I doubt no one would have blinked if he won the GF and walked away with the Norm Smith Medal as well.
Isn't the sexiest player, but has become one of our classiest in close.

It's a credit to him how with his limitations he's able to make these marginal gains on certain traits to make him a true A-grade player.

Last edited:

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
He has terrific hands in close now which makes him an excellent inside-outside midfielder.
One of the biggest improvements has actually come at how much cleaner at the first bite of the cherry he is this year, which is why his contested disposals and clearances are up. 2-3 times a game there would be times he wouldn't be clean and simply get bumped off the ball or tackled to a standstill.
There's a lot more consistency in his pickup of the ball after hitting the ground and is far less fumbly in close.
He's always had good hands in the contest. He now has great hands.

Sheed's always shown glimpses of this, but none probably speak to it better than this passage at 4:03 in the Grand Final.

His handball is ridiculously quick under immense pressure, one clean grab; a bit off Shuey but few other players if any on our list could of pulled that handball of that quickly.

Nice glimpses here in Eagle Review; Timestamp 4:38 & just after and at 4:41

I doubt no one would have blinked if he won the GF and walked away with the Norm Smith Medal as well.
Isn't the sexiest player, but has become one of our classiest in close.

It's a credit to him how with his limitations he's able to make these marginal gains on certain traits to make him a true A-grade player.

I want to buy a time machine and go back to 2014 and laugh at my self for being pissed off that we traded down for Sheed and overlooking talent like Aish/Freeman(lol).

Back