Dom Sheed 'on the verge of greatness'

porttoport

All Australian
Feb 27, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
His kicking has become a real weapon - which is a real turnaround from what we were expecting post-draft

Reminds me a lot of Mark Nicoski’s kick actually

Hits his kicks low and hard with a lot of penetration - but sometimes pokes at the mid range kick and is more inconsistent

Was Judd the last goal a game midfielder we’ve had? Embley?

Yes Judd was and Sheed goes at about a goal for every two games

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

WillieNillie

All Australian
Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember a interview with Judd and he was asked, what is the most underrated skill in the game and he said balance. Balance creates your strength, agility and speed

Sheeds game transformed when he composed himself and did things with his feet on the ground, and essentially focused on his balance. His biggest failures were his running kicks which would always hit the grass, now he slows down before he kicks and hits the man, his very painful around the body Piddis like bombs to nowhere, now he balances himself and uses strength to free himself to get a cleaner disposal.

I think the coaches who worked with him deserve alot of praise for his turnaround as well as the man himself who changed his game and fixed his flaws, as opposed to sooked and moaned about it like a few players will do

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Shueys 24 from 25 isn't a goal a game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
When was your last post in your own board?
Screenshot_20190614-174358_Samsung Internet.jpg

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry for intrusion... I posted earlier somewhere in the WCE threads that I'd back Sheed for Brownlow this year @ 251-1, plus a few bets for Top 3 and Top 5 finish.

He looked great today against the Bombers... Goal kicking midfielder always helps in voting.

I haven't followed him that closely this year, so I am just wondering how you guy's think he's tracking for Brownlow this year?

Blokes like Gaff, Yeo and Shuey can be a bit more flashier with their running, but I think Sheed with his high possession and goal kicking might elevate his brownlow polling.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Career best for disposals tonight. To me I see 36 being a bit of the norm for him in the future. Bit like Gaff.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Sorry for intrusion... I posted earlier somewhere in the WCE threads that I'd back Sheed for Brownlow this year @ 251-1, plus a few bets for Top 3 and Top 5 finish.

He looked great today against the Bombers... Goal kicking midfielder always helps in voting.

I haven't followed him that closely this year, so I am just wondering how you guy's think he's tracking for Brownlow this year?

Blokes like Gaff, Yeo and Shuey can be a bit more flashier with their running, but I think Sheed with his high possession and goal kicking might elevate his brownlow polling.
He is smashing it . Its not just his possessions and goals . His hands in close are elite with finding a player after a clearance and if given time to use his left foot it is like a lazer .
He will poll well imo after all the publicly from the GF

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
He is smashing it . Its not just his possessions and goals . His hands in close are elite with finding a player after a clearance and if given time to use his left foot it is like a lazer .
He will poll well imo after all the publicly from the GF
I knew at the start of the year he was gonna break-out. Yeah, the GF performance certainly helps his profile. AFL Brownlow Predictor only has him on 7 votes so far (excluding tonight's arguably BoG performance). I'm hoping for a Matt Pridis style surprise win, although that may have not been a surprise to WCE supporters.

Must admit, I always thought he'd turn into your main engine.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Career best for disposals tonight. To me I see 36 being a bit of the norm for him in the future. Bit like Gaff.

So much more damaging than Gaff though, both by hand and off his left.
Plus he is extraordinary around the stoppages. Just seems to have a sixth sense as to what is happening around him.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I knew at the start of the year he was gonna break-out. Yeah, the GF performance certainly helps his profile. AFL Brownlow Predictor only has him on 7 votes so far (excluding tonight's arguably BoG performance). I'm hoping for a Matt Pridis style surprise win, although that may have not been a surprise to WCE supporters.

Outside of his defensive ability he should be seen in the top echelon of midfielders in the competition going ahead.
Sheed is a footballer's footballer.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Outside of his defensive ability he should be seen in the top echelon of midfielders in the competition going ahead.
Sheed is a footballer's footballer.
Yeah, he'd work well with the likes of TK if you can land him. Either that or Coniglio. Could set you up for 4-5 years ahead easily.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So what are we thinking, anywhere between 8 to 14 votes so far this year for young Sheed!?

Just curious how you've voted in the MVP so far this year also, I haven't back-tracked...

Apr 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

After this game I have Gaff on 13 and Sheed on 12. He could be in the mix but probably needs everything to go right, when we've won there has been a lot of even performances.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
So what are we thinking, anywhere between 8 to 14 votes so far this year for young Sheed!?

Just curious how you've voted in the MVP so far this year also, I haven't back-tracked...
It's hard to see it. Yeo didn't poll as well as he should have last season. He'll get more recognition this year. Shuey will poll well and so will Gaff. will be extremely hard for him to win it.

Our mids will steal too many votes of each other. Also see Hurn polling decently.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
After this game I have Gaff on 13 and Sheed on 12. He could be in the mix but probably needs everything to go right, when we've won there has been a lot of even performances.
Yeah, Gaff has the flashy outside run, which helps his cause, but he's not kicking many goals at all... Typically its the goal-kicking mids that poll best, right in Sheed's favour.

But yeah, a lot would have to go right for him to win, but my Top 5 and Top 10 Bet could be right in the hunt - @ 34-1 and 15-1

Back