Recommitted Dom Sheed [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm an Eagles fan but can see Sheed being the victim of a cap squeeze. Unless Shuey & Gaff are scaling down in their salaries as they get older, the pressure of Yeo & Kelly will start to pinch and Sheed might find an offer elsewhere too good to refuse.
history suggests Eagles list management is as professional as any.
We're about to lose Hurn and Kennedy. Hutchings probably in his last year too. How much space does that create?

If there was any squeeze, Redden at 30-31 would be the casualty before Sheed, surely.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let’s look at the midfield of the Eagles.

Sheuy, Yeo, Kelly , Gaff and possibly Redden are better than Sheed.

Sheed is good as a secondary midfield but would struggle as a primary midfielder.

Secondary midfielder has a limited market.

Nobody is going to pay overs for him.

West123

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2009
Flying High
AFL Club
West Coast

Sheed is good as a secondary midfield but would struggle as a primary midfielder.

St.Kilda are paying overs for Brad Crouch. If Sheed could run around doing whatever he wanted on a losing side he'd have Crouch covered by a mile.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
waste of time posting this.

Dom Sheed won't leave. Will always be remembered for that match winning goal in that 2018 grand final.

Ironic though isn't it? West coast traded pick 6 and 42 to Collingwood for picks 11, 31 and 49.

Yep that pick 11 ended up as Dom Sheed.
It was pick 44 not pick 42, to be technical. That pick 44 ended up being traded to Sydney for Jesse White, which Sydney used to draft Aliir Aliir.

Collingwood used pick 6 on Matt Scharenberg. Not a draft that Collingwood fans will want to be reminded of I don't think.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I would argue that Sheed is very close to being as good as Yeo and Kelly. Kelly is a secondary midfielder as well. He enjoyed that luxury at Geelong as well behind Selwood, Dangerfield and also had Duncan to compliment him there. Very few people would consider Redden ahead of Sheed. That is no disrepect to Redden, who is a good footballer.

As you say, if Sheed is not going to get overs then West Coast should have no problem keeping him.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I would argue that Sheed is very close to being as good as Yeo and Kelly. Kelly is a secondary midfielder as well. He enjoyed that luxury at Geelong as well behind Selwood, Dangerfield and also had Duncan to compliment him there. Very few people would consider Redden ahead of Sheed. That is no disrepect to Redden, who is a good footballer.

As you say, if Sheed is not going to get overs then West Coast should have no problem keeping him.

Yeo (especially Yeo) and Kelly are a cut above Dom Sheed - both AA midfielders, proven match winners and big game players.

Dom is comparable to Redden, probably a bit ahead of him as it currently stands but comparable in terms of their best footy.

Short of a serious upturn in the next 2 years, he’s the kind of guy who is a rock solid, consistent, ‘career footballer’ who will play 200+ games and be remembered fondly ala Michael Braun.

That all said, I doubt he leaves WCE - he’ll get decent contract offer and sign with minimal fuss.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Yeo (especially Yeo) and Kelly are a cut above Dom Sheed - both AA midfielders, proven match winners and big game players.

Dom is comparable to Redden, probably a bit ahead of him as it currently stands but comparable in terms of their best footy.

Short of a serious upturn in the next 2 years, he’s the kind of guy who is a rock solid, consistent, ‘career footballer’ who will play 200+ games and be remembered fondly ala Michael Braun.

That all said, I doubt he leaves WCE - he’ll get decent contract offer and sign with minimal fuss.
Shuey is not an AA midfielder and Matt Crouch is, so I tend to ignore that stat a bit.

A lot of what you have said is fair enough, but Sheed is a better player than Redden. I would more compare Redden to Michael Braun, the only difference being that Redden has not played his whole career at WCE.

Yes, he will re-sign at WCE with no issue. Redden may not though. Sheed will be the number 1 priority with a couple of others before Redden.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
E5045FD5-6383-4BC8-8617-3D734FEA5BCC.jpeg

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

You could be forgiven for making that assumption, but in a midfield without Yeo and Shuey in the first 2 rounds, and an underperforming Redden and Gaff, Sheed recorded 34 and 26 disposals, 11 and 9 clearances, averaged 15 contested possessions. I think he's reached the point in his career when he can definitely operate as one of the primary mids. Another 24 touches, 7 clearances and 11 contested possessions on the weekend with Shuey back in as well.

Yep so he re-signed 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back