Dom Sheed's Grand Final Winner - The Most clutch in AFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheed has a laconic look, even in congestion. Lopes around and can take his time swinging onto the left.

These traits clearly come in handy. Casually slotting it through; was like taking a shot after training.

I don't have an hour to refer them all to you. Just watch more Grand Finals
LOL.
Here's a challenge for you. Name ONE moment that was more clutch than Dom Sheed's. Just one.
Out of all the dozens of moments that you, and only you, know about and the rest of us are too feeble to remember, name one of them.
Go.

LOL.
Here's a challenge for you. Name ONE moment that was more clutch than Dom Sheed's. Just one.
Out of all the dozens of moments that you, and only you, know about and the rest of us are too feeble to remember, name one of them.
Go.

From that angle, at that stage of the game with the premiership cup resting on his boot, ****en balls of steel.

The campaigner nailed the most clutch shot in AFL history. Come to think of it, one of the most clutch shots not just in AFL history, but sporting history.
One that I'd have to rate as possibly on par, would be Buckenara's shot after the siren in the 1987 PF. 40m out, siren sounded, a GF berth hingeing on the outcome. It's arguably as clutch as Sheed's.

Prelim final. Scores level. Has a shot from 10m out, any score will do. Nope.

NEXT!

Lol no way. You were going to dismiss anything I responded with. That moment is 100x more clutch than Dom Sheed will ever be.

Plus what makes that moment so much more clutch is the North player (Crowleys dad) was on Ablett all game. One 0.5 second lapse of concentration and it cost them the game. Dom Sheeds was just some routine kick and this is a ridiculous thread. I could easily name 100 better.

Dom Sheeds was an average set shot there was nothing clutch about it. It was a rather low intensity moment of play also. Both sides hardly fought that game given how close the scores were and what was at stake.

I could easily name 1000 better clutch moments in AFL history if we're considering all Finals games or any game that's season ending.

Not taking anything away from Dom Sheeds moment (which I myself consider extremely average) but this thread goes to show how much of a factor recent events muddle with appropriate rankings.

Dom Sheeds was an average set shot there was nothing clutch about it. It was a rather low intensity moment of play also. Both sides hardly fought that game given how close the scores were and what was at stake.

Lol, please...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They very definition of clutch.

Yeah I'm not disputing it wasn't clutch. I'm just saying it was an incredibly standard set shot under no pressure. And that there's a 1000 better clutch moments. It's not even as clutch as Varcoes 2011 goal, or even as clutch as the even better Sydney Grand Final clutch moment than the Sydney clutch moment I posted above.

C'mon this thread is a certain troll. He marked the ball as a loose man and got a set shot 30 meters out. Any B grader in his place would've done the same thing.

I’d probably agree with the OP... but... when talking “clutch”, it’s generally when the pressure to kick the goal is unimaginable, and the consequences life-changing.

I think the fact it was such a difficult angle helped. Sheed could reasonably be expected to miss it - most shots from there would miss. If he had, and Collingwood won? I don’t think Sheed would’ve been blamed for one second. It wouldn’t be remembered much.

The pressure from a very long distance or an impossible angle is less. It’s all upside, the opportunity to be a hero. Like goalkeepers in a penalty shootout. They’re not supposed to succeed.

Same situation, 30 metres out, directly in front? THAT is pressure. That would be clutch. Like the kicker in a penalty shootout.

In that situation most people could be thinking “* what if I miss this...”, not “if I kick this I’ll be a hero”.

Clutch shots, maybe top ten, but clutch moments, Leo Barry farts in Dom Shreds general direction.

A PF is not and will never be more clutch than the dying minutes in a GF.

Lol you're making me laugh man. That Ablett moment will forever be more clutch than Dom Sheeds goal. Just watch them both it's like chalk and cheese. Even if it was for 4pts or an AFL-X trophy.

I’d probably agree with the OP... but... when talking “clutch”, it’s generally when the pressure to kick the goal is unimaginable, and the consequences life-changing.

I think the fact it was such a difficult angle helped. Sheed could reasonably be expected to miss it - most shots from there would miss. If he had, and Collingwood won? I don’t think Sheed would’ve been blamed for one second. It wouldn’t be remembered much.

The pressure from a very long distance or an impossible angle is less. It’s all upside, the opportunity to be a hero. Like goalkeepers in a penalty shootout. They’re not supposed to succeed.

Same situation, 30 metres out, directly in front? THAT is pressure. That would be clutch. Like the kicker in a penalty shootout.

In that situation most people could be thinking “**** what if I miss this...”, not “if I kick this I’ll be a hero”.
A well-reasoned, well-argued response to the OP premise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back