Dom Sheed's Grand Final Winner - The Most clutch in AFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree on BTs call, listen to his tone on DeGoeys early 4th q goal, it should have been that.

There’s no doubt that commentators, particularly Bruce, practice what they will say at the final siren for either result during the week and on the day of the game, it’d be grouse to see some of the scrapped scripts that were written such as Collingwood 2018, St Kilda 2010 (or 09) and Fremantle 2013.

There’s no doubt that commentators, particularly Bruce, practice what they will say at the final siren for either result during the week and on the day of the game, it’d be grouse to see some of the scrapped scripts that were written such as Collingwood 2018, St Kilda 2010 (or 09) and Fremantle 2013.
Yeah, would be neat. Like how there were apparently a bunch of ready made speeches to be made if Apollo 11 had failed.

Anyway, I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone's said it deep in page 5, but I don't think it was *that* clutch. Let me elaborate. Clutch would've been straight in front from 35 metres out. Sheed was on an awful angle, and in that sense, there was much less pressure to get it, as no one would've blamed him if he missed.

The obvious sporting analogy is, say, needing a boundary off the last ball to win, vs needing a single. Take a big swing, miss that boundary- well, yeah it sucks but you're not going to go down as a historical villain. Miss the single and you're toast! Same with Sheed

Yeah, would be neat. Like how there were apparently a bunch of ready made speeches to be made if Apollo 11 had failed.

Anyway, I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone's said it deep in page 5, but I don't think it was *that* clutch. Let me elaborate. Clutch would've been straight in front from 35 metres out. Sheed was on an awful angle, and in that sense, there was much less pressure to get it, as no one would've blamed him if he missed.

The obvious sporting analogy is, say, needing a boundary off the last ball to win, vs needing a single. Take a big swing, miss that boundary- well, yeah it sucks but you're not going to go down as a historical villain. Miss the single and you're toast! Same with Sheed

So technically none of the shots in the linked video were clutch because nobody really thought they would score them or at least it would have been very forgivable had they if missed giving the degree of difficulty?

I think "clutch" is succeeded when all the pressure is on you and the odds are stacked against you in a game defining ('season defining' in this instance) moment and you produce something extraordinary.

A set shot 40m out straight in front to win the GF is no where near as "clutch"...it just has pressure attached because of the circumstance, but one that any AFL footballer with any bit of mental fortitude should nail.

Last edited:

So technically none of the shots in the linked video were clutch because nobody really thought they would score them or at least it would have been very forgivable had they if missed giving the degree of difficulty?

I think "clutch" is succeeded when all the pressure is on you and the odds are stacked against you in a game defining ('season defining' in this instance) moment and you produce something extraordinary.

A set shot 40m out straight in front to win the GF is no where near as "clutch"...it just has pressure attached because of the circumstance, but one that any AFL footballer with any bit of mental fortitude should nail.

I disagree. A set shot 40m out to win a gf is the very definition of clutch. Clutch means holding your nerve and nailing it under pressure. Like a 1m putt to win the Masters.
Sheed’s Was extra clutch given the degree of difficulty.

I disagree. A set shot 40m out to win a gf is the very definition of clutch. Clutch means holding your nerve and nailing it under pressure. Like a 1m putt to win the Masters.
Sheed’s Was extra clutch given the degree of difficulty.
So extra wax clutch should win then surely if there was to be an ultimate battle of "clutch" as it required the same mental focus and resilience but required a better execution because it was more difficult.

exactly, by his logic none of ronaldo`s free kick goals are any good...or lebrons 3pt shots any good, because they practice those routines over and over. In fact wtf would be impressive???

Ronaldo passing it to Lebron who takes a one hander and kicks a goal from 10m out when any score will do it, in a preliminary final.

Imagine being the opposition and having to watch a goal like that end your GF hopes. Heartbreaker!

I could easily name 1000 better clutch moments in AFL history if we're considering all Finals games or any game that's season ending.

Not taking anything away from Dom Sheeds moment (which I myself consider extremely average) but this thread goes to show how much of a factor recent events muddle with appropriate rankings.
Full of s**t pal. Sheed was clutch AF.

I liked BT's call actually, especially compared to many of the radio commentators. He was the only one to get appropriate excited by Ryan's contested mark in the lead up.

Bruce was a bit flat when the final siren approached, almost like he rehearsed more for Collingwood winning.
I quite liked Tim Lane's call: 'The old fashioned shot at goal ... the goal umpire DOESN'T MOVE!' The surprise in his voice, along with the supporters' roar, captures the gravity of the moment.

It's a shame it was the unmarketable Sheed that kicked it, media would have gone ballistic if it was a household name with a modicum of personality who kicked it.

Doesnt change the fact that it was an absolute A1 cracking goal, just happened to be kicked by Mr Vanilla himself.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be the most clutch moment. Can’t think of any better example from my club over the years, closest ones being:

1. Chris Grant’s left foot set shot to sink essendon’s perfect season in 2000. But then again that was in the home and away.

2. Jack Macrae’s prelim winner in 2016. For mine this is the closest, a high pressure set shot from not a noted goal kicker. Years of club history riding on it, and a grand final spot on the line. But that wasn’t a grand final.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/unforgettable-we-rank-the-10-most-memorable-gf-goals

Interesting Malceski's only got number 7

10. Tom Boyd (Western Bulldogs) – 2016
9. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) – 2015
8. Darren Jarman (Adelaide) – 1997
7. Nick Malceski (Sydney) – 2012
6. Peter Daicos (Collingwood) – 1990
5. Jason Akermanis (Brisbane) – 2002
4. Adam Hunter (West Coast) – 2006
3. Michael Long (Essendon) - 1993
2. Paul Chapman (Geelong) – 2009
1. Dom Sheed (West Coast) – 2018

Also:

With the eyes of a nation on his back, Sheed delivered the kick of a lifetime. With less than two minutes remaining and tight in the right forward pocket, Sheed kicked straight to put the Eagles in front for the first time since the four-minute mark of the opening term.

Once again afl.com.au fails to properly fact check something.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/unforgettable-we-rank-the-10-most-memorable-gf-goals

Adam Hunter's goal is only great because of Chick. Nothing to do with Hunter

Adam Hunter's goal is only great because of Chick. Nothing to do with Hunter

You could make the same arguement against Chapman's goal based on that, Scarlett's kick is what makes that play

Boyd stiff.

Boyd stiff.

Should definitely be above Hodge at the very least.

I would also rate Issac Smith's long bomb vs Fremantle above Hodge personally as it was pretty much the final nail in the coffin in a low scoring game.

Well the AFL web site must have seen this thread. Article today ranking too 10 GF goals of all time.

Sheed's is ranked #1.

Poll running with Sheed leading.
Not quite “of all time”. The site states since 1990.
If you wanted for all time, then these astonishing last quarter GF goals would have to be in the mix.
1979 - Harmes at (over) the boundary over to Sheldon. Blues win flag by 5 points
1977- Dunne goals in the last minute to tie the scores.
1970 - Jesaulenko from miles out & rolls it through to win the flag from being 44 points down
1964 - Crompton goals with two minutes left for his only goal of the year. Dees win by 4 points.
1947- Fred Stafford snaps a goal from the boundary with only 40 seconds left. Blues win it by 1 point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back