Dom Tyson 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson has a tonne of improvement in him.

And I'd take him over anyone on St. Kilda's list.

That game last year at the G was some of the worst football I'd ever seen. We were in s**t form and we pantsed the Saints. It was a wonderful day out!

Last edited:

That game last year at the G was some of the worst football I'd ever seen. We were in s**t form and we pants the Saints. It was a wonderful day out!

This is just pure bias. I’d take multiple Saints players over Dom. Players also don’t really improve their disposal a whole lot this far into their career.

I don’t think Tyson is a hack but I do think he is a player who could easily be replaced by someone like Brayshaw. Farm Boy basjcally just repeated what some of our posters have said but because he supports the saints he gets flamed, grow up melb board.

This is just pure bias. I’d take multiple Saints players over Dom. Players also don’t really improve their disposal a whole lot this far into their career.
Tyson doesn't need to improve his disposal, he just needs to fix whatever it was that went wrong with it last year. He was Top 10 in turnovers and clangers last season; pretty sure he was nowhere near it previously.

Tyson's best is as good as any midfielder on St. Kilda's list, but for whatever reason he had a crappy 2016 but then so did half our list.

Happy to cop an omelette on the face but I expect Tyson to have a killer 2018.

Tyson makes every 22 in the league, its not even a debate for mine.
Not every one for mine (Sydney and GWS the two queries) but it's around side structure as opposed to talent.

I don’t think Tyson is a hack but I do think he is a player who could easily be replaced by someone like Brayshaw. Farm Boy basjcally just repeated what some of our posters have said but because he supports the saints he gets flamed, grow up melb board.
https://tenor.com/view/ted-bundy-serial-killer-smile-gif-5136607

Not every one for mine (Sydney and GWS the two queries) but it's around side structure as opposed to talent.
I think he gets a game over Matt De Boer

That game last year at the G was some of the worst football I'd ever seen. We were in s**t form and we pantsed the Saints. It was a wonderful day out!

That's a bit of a joke mate. Steven Ross Gresham Carlisle Roberton just to name a few.
Tyson doesn't need to improve his disposal, he just needs to fix whatever it was that went wrong with it last year. He was Top 10 in turnovers and clangers last season; pretty sure he was nowhere near it previously.

Tyson's best is as good as any midfielder on St. Kilda's list, but for whatever reason he had a crappy 2016 but then so did half our list.

Happy to cop an omelette on the face but I expect Tyson to have a killer 2018.

His disposal by foot has been crap since he walked into the club supporters just didn't notice it because he was the Shiny new toy who kicked goals.
Tyson is just a good average AFL midfielder and he will never be any more than that. Best he can hope for is to be a consistent back up to the center square starting pair of Oliver and Viney and to not let up on our hopeful dominance.

At the start of the season ANB was well behind Tyson in the pecking order, now if I'm picking a side ANBs pressure and running ability without the ball combined with his ability to connect midfield to attack makes him a much more important player. Every year hopefully we will find more players to compliment our inside players and that pushes Tyson further down the best 22.

That's a bit of a joke mate. Steven Ross Gresham Carlisle Roberton just to name a few.
Ross & Steven's best seasons are similar to Tyson statistically. Perhaps they stand out more because they're playing in an abysmal midfield. Whereas Tyson is playing alongside future hall of fame legends like Oliver and Viney.

I'll admit my own bias- I'm a huge fan of Tyson's and his hair and not a fan at all of anything red white and black- but I'm still backing him for a great season. We'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross & Steven's best seasons are similar to Tyson statistically. Perhaps they stand out more because they're playing in an abysmal midfield. Whereas Tyson is playing alongside future hall of fame legends like Oliver and Viney.

I'll admit my own bias- I'm a huge fan of Tyson's and his hair and not a fan at all of anything red white and black- but I'm still backing him for a great season. We'll see.

Mate that's like comparing Olivers disposal count with Dustys and concluding they are similar level players because they aren't even close yet.

Ross was AA squad worthy and stiff to miss the team while Steven has been the saint best for years and should have been an AA. I don't like the saints but their best midfielder isn't below our 4th or 5th best.
Tyson needs to work on his defensive pressure and try and emulate Grigg at Richmond.

Mate that's like comparing Olivers disposal count with Dustys and concluding they are similar level players because they aren't even close yet.

Ross was AA squad worthy and stiff to miss the team while Steven has been the saint best for years and should have been an AA. I don't like the saints but their best midfielder isn't below our 4th or 5th best.
Tyson needs to work on his defensive pressure and try and emulate Grigg at Richmond.
Find it hard to believe Ross and Steven were close to AA when Oliver couldn't even make the team.

I don't watch the Saints, I hate them with a passion, and you're clearly more knowledgeable than I am here. All the same, I stand by my original uneducated and biased assessment. :)

Last edited:
Find it hard to believe Ross and Steven were close to AA when Oliver couldn't even make the team.

I don't watch the Saints, I hate them with a passion, and you're clearly more knowledgeable than I am here. All the same, I stand by with my original uneducated and biased assessment. :)
Steven shouldn’t have been close to AA last year. In general he’s a very good player but 2017 didn’t go well for him. I think Topkent meant generally in his case, rather than specifically suggesting Steven was unlucky to miss selection in 2017.

For what it’s worth though, I have an undoubtedly unreasonable bias against the Saints so agree with you fully with no reservations and no desire to apply any reasonable analysis. I stand by your assessment also.

I feel he is copping some unfair critism.
Bloke is walkup best 22

Maybe wont be as good as we expected a few years ago, but still a bloody good player.

His down years have coincided when he has been injured

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Steven shouldn’t have been close to AA last year. In general he’s a very good player but 2017 didn’t go well for him. I think Topkent meant generally in his case, rather than specifically suggesting Steven was unlucky to miss selection in 2017.

For what it’s worth though, I have an undoubtedly unreasonable bias against the Saints so agree with you fully with no reservations and no desire to apply any reasonable analysis. I stand by your assessment also.
The fact Oliver was not in the AA squad was absolutely disgraceful. I hate St Kilda with a passion, and Steven and Ross are nowhere near as good as Oliver.

I feel he is copping some unfair critism.
Bloke is walkup best 22

Maybe wont be as good as we expected a few years ago, but still a bloody good player.

His down years have coincided when he has been injured

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
100% agree mate.

Let's allow the St Kilda bloke to tell us on our own board that he wouldn't even get a gig for them though!

Tyson gets a game over Shiel, Coniglio, and Hopper if the finals series were anything to go by.

GWS can't win a fking clearance and Tyson can do just that. They've got some lovely marks up forward and some nice footskills but overall they've got an inexperienced defence, a midfield that can't get into the nitty gritty side of a footy match and too many lumbering talls.

On talent I'm sure the aforementioned trio of Giants mids are superior to Tyson but the problem is they don't play to their talent, they need to dig in and get dirty like Tyson will.

Tyson gets a game over Shiel, Coniglio, and Hopper if the finals series were anything to go by.

GWS can't win a fking clearance and Tyson can do just that. They've got some lovely marks up forward and some nice footskills but overall they've got an inexperienced defence, a midfield that can't get into the nitty gritty side of a footy match and too many lumbering talls.

On talent I'm sure the aforementioned trio of Giants mids are superior to Tyson but the problem is they don't play to their talent, they need to dig in and get dirty like Tyson will.

Not even a chance Tyson gets in over Coniglio and Shiel lol. Over Hopper yep but Tyson has the same issue as all the GWS players which isn't surprising where he came from. He's not good enough 2 ways.

Not even a chance Tyson gets in over Coniglio and Shiel lol. Over Hopper yep but Tyson has the same issue as all the GWS players which isn't surprising where he came from. He's not good enough 2 ways.
Yeah I'd have to be in agreeance with this, Tyson is a fair way off those guys. He has the ability to reach a very high level next year, but I think it'll come down to remaining injury free and being fully fit. I'd also like to see him be a bit more urgent with his approach.

Tyson makes every 22 in the league, its not even a debate for mine.

Nah :D

Just going purely off speculation and nothing concrete, but wouldn't be surprised if he seeks a trade at the end of the year. Can't see him getting into the side without injury, and whilst I'm happy to have him as depth he would be in the top 3 mids at a few clubs.

Dom is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's an AFL standard inside mid, but good luck getting a guernsey ahead of Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca and Jones. You could make a case he's better than Harmes, but the latter is good overhead and can move forward. Harmes rarely gets caught holding the ball while Tyson often does. I'd also say Harmes is a better kick, albeit not a great one.

Dom can ONLY play inside mid. On the wing? Nope, not skilled enough. Up forward? Don't make me laugh.

He's a VERY handy depth player at present and I suspect the club would be keen to keep him (an injury list like this is rare). But I wouldn't hold a grudge if Dom wanted to go to a s**t team and be a gun inside mid for them.

I've always wondered, was he actually a better player in 2014 or have others caught up to him? I certainly remember him kicking more goals, but I think he's more or less the same player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back