Domestic coffee machines

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering if anyone had any experience/advice with domestic super-auto machines?

I'm thinking about getting a new one for home (have a Krups manual machine that has crapped itself...).

Am looking at possibly spending the money for a super-auto because I dont reckon the wife will be bothered using a manual or semi-auto.

Reviews vary, with a lot saying "coffee is crap", or "coffee is too cold".

Has anyone had/used one they have been happy with?

Possible looking at a Saeco Primea as I may be able to get a good deal on one.

I don't have a suitable answer to this, but hope someone else can add something because I too have been looking at one of these for a while.

I have a Saeco - It's about 3 years old and I can honestly say we're pretty happy with it. Ours has a nozzle for frothing so it is not one of those autofrothing ones, but the steam generated is more than adequate. A good coffee machine is only as good as the coffee you put in it though. Tend to use Rio Coffee as they sell it at the shop next to my work.

It really just depends on how much you are willing to spend. You simply get what you pay for. I stayed with a friend in Holland recently who had a machine that cost more than my car, and spent more on his beans than I do on steak. The coffee was as good as anywhere in Europe, some of the best coffee I've ever had.

I have a cheapo $100 machine back home that does the trick, but is nothing special. A Krups too BTW. This guy's machine was a Gaggia IIRC?

I have a De Longi - Magnifico (RRP $1,500 thereabouts). The 1st version. It's a fully automatic cappucino machine. After setting it up you just follow its instructions. Good temperature coffees. Good machine and can't fault it. Fairly easy to clean etc. There has been a 2nd version come out and another one called the Prima Donna (???) that is more expensive ($2,000+).

By fully automatic, does it mean it's like a coffee machine in the pokies?

Load a cup under and hit your preferred style of coffee?

I've been working in a bistro for 18 months now, and have come to love drinking coffee I make at work.

I'd love to get one for home for when I grow up and get a real job, I'd like a manual(i think?) one. I enjoy frothing the milk and pouring it all myself, there's a knack, and i've become very good at it.

Am I looking at $1500+?

thanks.

I've been working in a bistro for 18 months now, and have come to love drinking coffee I make at work.

I'd love to get one for home for when I grow up and get a real job, I'd like a manual(i think?) one. I enjoy frothing the milk and pouring it all myself, there's a knack, and i've become very good at it.

Am I looking at $1500+?

thanks.

You can get one for as little as $100. Obviously, the more you spend the better machine you'll get. I've just got a cheap one and it still makes a pretty good coffee.

Am I looking at $1500+?

thanks.

Not for the manual ones.

As for the fully auto ones, from what i saw one day on t.v, it grinds the beans, takes the water, makes a great cup, froths the milk and you end up with a magnificent looking coffee, all at the touch of a button

My two cents.

Automatic machines are quick and easy but IMHO prone to failure, especially the grinding mechanism. I have a Delonghi and it is crap.

My suggestion and what I will do shortly, is to buy a manual coffee machine and a seperate grinder.

It all depends on how far you want to go. If you are really fussy and want coffee like you would have at the better cafes in Melbourne then IMHO an automatic won't cut it. If you want a quick and easy nice coffee then go the automatic route. Just dont get upset when you have to take it in for repairs.

Manual machines are by in large very simple and reliable

I would choose from

Sunbeam EM6910 $799
http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pcid=8079&pid=1136

Saeco Via Venezia. around $425

I had one for years and it was great
http://www.saeco.com/en/products/household-manual-machines/2/manual/0/via-venezia-espresso/1/via-venezia-espresso.html

Rancilio Silvia around $800
http://www.coffeeco.com.au/Espressopage.html

For Coffee Grinders

Rancilio Coffee Grinder around $450
http://www.coffeeco.com.au/Espressopage.html

Sunbeam Conical Burr Grinder $219. Guys I work with swear by this grinder
http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pcid=8079&pid=1120

They are some very expensive grinders. No need at all to spend that sort of money unless you're opening up a cafe and plan on making 300 cups of coffee a day.

The Sunbeam isn't that expensive. You could pair the Sunbeam grinder and the Via Venezia for around $650. Cheaper than an automatic and a much better coffee .

The Sunbeam isn't that expensive. You could pair the Sunbeam grinder and the Via Venezia for around $650. Cheaper than an automatic and a much better coffee .
You can get a good grinder for $60. I really don't know what quadrupling the price actually gets you...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as above:rolleyes:

also had a friend with a top of the line Gagia
He wasnt happy
Cold coffee

I prefer to go to a coffee shop so does my mate with the Gagia

We had a de Longhi magnifica for ages and made beautiful coffee together (auto grind and clean, froth your own milk) with no problems, not grinding issues- nothing... just upgraded to a de longhi magnifica pronto a month ago (all of the above plus put the milk jug in, press a button et voila! perfectly fluffy cappuccino with capacity to adjust the amount of froth from cap to latte.) Coffee temp PERFECTO! Absolutely brilliant. Hubby takes his coffee to work with him rather than buy a muzz buzz on the way. We get coffee beans usually italian grocer or gloria jeans store.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back