Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
I find it amazing how tourism blames governments, not the actual virus, for their woes. Would they rather we let it rip in those early days with the extra deaths we would have endured, just to keep them ( and cafe owners) happy. It's a fine line.
Fact is that Western Australia experienced the least disruption to the tourism industry of any Australian state or territory, partly due to having fewer restrictions on movement, but also because the closed state border meant that more Western Australians were holidaying in their own state. Opening up their border to allow vaccinated interstate AFL supporters to attend the AFL Grand Final just added to the wins for the WA Tourism sector.

Listening to facts and logic rather than the vocal idiot minority of FreeDum campaigners has proved to be critical to governments surviving the pandemic crisis.

The Victorian Government of Dan Andrews rightly deserved to be struggling to get another term in government. And then the Liberals put their support behind the anti-vax cookers. Idiocy - and now the Vic Libs are tearing themselves apart as the RWNJs reckon they can take control. This is not just bad for the Liberals but bad for democracy where an intelligent and strong opposition is vital to good government.

Last edited:

Mikey13G

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2018
The People's Republic of Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fact is that Western Australia experienced the least disruption to the tourism industry of any Australian state or territory, partly due to having fewer restrictions on movement, but also because the closed state border meant that more Western Australians were holidaying in their own state. Opening up their border to allow vaccinated interstate AFL supporters to attend the AFL Grand Final just added to the wins for the WA Tourism sector.

Listening to facts and logic rather than the vocal idiot minority of FreeDum campaigners has proved to be critical to governments surviving the pandemic crisis.

The Victorian Government of Dan Andrews rightly deserved to be struggling to get another term in government. And then the Liberals put their support behind the anti-vax cookers. Idiocy - and now the Vic Libs are tearing themselves apart as the RWNJs reckon they can take control. This is not just bad for the Liberals but bad for democracy where an intelligent and strong opposition is vital to good government.
Trust Festerz to defend the extreme measures of the hermit state 🙄

I'm guessing you also supported the decision to purchase 111 million RAT tests for a state with a population of less than 3 million people...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/eco...d/news-story/2f86c916cf8daa7f58ab44227c28e082

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The housing shortage and its continued disastrous trend is not only fuelled by the potential intake a large number of migrants, but also by trends in general occupancy, for those of us who are already here.
Graphically the trends in housing occupancy tell a story:
houshold occupancy city vs all else 010623.jpg

At the beginning of the GFC - around 2008 - occupancy values increased from a low of about 2.52to around 2.6 in the aftermath of the GFC (LHS plot).
That makes sense as people financially panicked in the period of the GFC. Elevated values appeared sustained for quite a while.

Make no mistake, the first decimal point in these data is important. For example a change of 0.1 in say, an occupancy of 2.5 is a [0.1/2.5] or about a 4% change. That make a difference when rental availability sits at about 1%.

Around mid 2022 occupancy had again dropped overall to around the same value as pre-GFC (blue curve; LHS plot). So in some ways this reflects a regaining of confidence in people returning to lower household numbers. People moving out and occupying accommodation that would be sorely needed in the future.

The RHS plot addresses the problem with housing occupancy in a different way, by comparing single households with average household size.
The influence of the Covid era is evident in the RHS plot above. Draw a horizontal line at about 25.5% single person households, and the red and blue plots (RHS plot) are almost mirror images of each other.
At the onset of the Covid time frame single households retreated, seemingly as people sought emotional comfort in having other people around them. But beyond mid 2021 the % of single household spiked up as people grew comfortable with living with Covid, while average household size commensurately spiked down.
This trend is exactly what was not required in the era of a rental crisis.

Last edited:

Mikey13G

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2018
The People's Republic of Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Minimum wage to increase by 5.75% :The Fair Work Commission has ruled the minimum wage will increase by 5.75% from July 1. The Fair Work Commission has also decided that award rates of pay will be increased by 5.75 per cent, effective from July 1. The decision will affect about one quarter of all Australian employees.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Minimum wage to increase by 5.75% :The Fair Work Commission has ruled the minimum wage will increase by 5.75% from July 1. The Fair Work Commission has also decided that award rates of pay will be increased by 5.75 per cent, effective from July 1. The decision will affect about one quarter of all Australian employees.

News.com.au running with MASSIVE CASH BOOST as the headline lol.

Here ya go minimum wage folks, an increase below inflation, when your rent has gone up 30% and your groceries have gone up 50%. Enjoy your MASSIVE CASH BOOST

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The threats of unemployment rising and interest rates going up has a real ‘listen here you little shits’ vibe

For most people wages will go up by negligible amounts while the costs of necessities skyrockets every year.

7% inflation? Not even close to a real reflection of real world increases

My rent was increased by 21%, we refused and moved (and that comes with a lot of costs)
So the increase in rent when we found a new place was about a 16% rise.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The threats of unemployment rising and interest rates going up has a real ‘listen here you little shits’ vibe

For most people wages will go up by negligible amounts while the costs of necessities skyrockets every year.

7% inflation? Not even close to a real reflection of real world increases

My rent was increased by 21%, we refused and moved (and that comes with a lot of costs)
So the increase in rent when we found a new place was about a 16% rise.

Power bills up by 25% due to wholesale costs.
Admittedly it's come back down to an extent but fuel costs went up about 50%.
Blatant profiteering on groceries. Some things understandable, some items have gone up by more than 100% in a year.

7% would be lovely.

And the RBA method to fix that is make sure your mortgage repayments also go up by 50%.

Class warfare going on, they really are trying to make it a two tier economy.

Blatant profiteering on groceries.

Little side anecdote...

I do my grocery shopping via the Coles app and they sent me some "Half Price Specials" one of which was a 1L bottle of EV Olive Oil. I followed the link and the price said it was $14 so I assumed that this was the full price and the special price would be $7. Wrong. The full price was $28. For a 1L bottle of basic brand Olive Oil.

Now we're usually in the habit of buying a 4L can of OO as it's much more economical, but there's no way that a litre bottle of oil was anywhere near $28 pre covid days. It wasn't that long ago you'd pay that price for the large 4L tins.

The other thing I've noticed is smaller, more regular purchases, things like butter or cheese, have had a price hike that is in some cases, almost double what it would have been 3 years ago.

Not a lot of money for each purchase, but over time, that adds up to a significant amount across your groceries for a year, and a mind-bogglingly massive amount of additional profit for Colesworth.

I'm normally one to say, this is just inflation, it will sort itself out the other way over time, but I can't fathom how they can justify the size of the increases that we're seeing. It's unprecedented in my adult life.

I tend to just buy the cheap Woolies bread unless I'm splurging for proper bakery bread, because all the in between stuff tastes like s**t IMO. Over the course of one week, a loaf of that bread went from $1.40 to $2.40.

I'm lucky enough that to me $100 or so a year makes little difference, but a lot of people aren't so lucky, and a lot of those people are probably the same people who would buy that bread, and now still have little choice but to buy it as there's no cheaper option available.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Little side anecdote...

I do my grocery shopping via the Coles app and they sent me some "Half Price Specials" one of which was a 1L bottle of EV Olive Oil. I followed the link and the price said it was $14 so I assumed that this was the full price and the special price would be $7. Wrong. The full price was $28. For a 1L bottle of basic brand Olive Oil.

Now we're usually in the habit of buying a 4L can of OO as it's much more economical, but there's no way that a litre bottle of oil was anywhere near $28 pre covid days. It wasn't that long ago you'd pay that price for the large 4L tins.

The other thing I've noticed is smaller, more regular purchases, things like butter or cheese, have had a price hike that is in some cases, almost double what it would have been 3 years ago.

Not a lot of money for each purchase, but over time, that adds up to a significant amount across your groceries for a year, and a mind-bogglingly massive amount of additional profit for Colesworth.

I'm normally one to say, this is just inflation, it will sort itself out the other way over time, but I can't fathom how they can justify the size of the increases that we're seeing. It's unprecedented in my adult life.

Sometimes I feel like I'm in Zimbabwe and i walk into the shop then turn around for an extra wheelbarrow full of cash to be able to afford cheese.

Literally every shitty brand went to like $30/kg what feels like overnight. Sometimes I can spot unbranded blocks of NZ cheddar at $9.99 /kg. Tastes pretty good too.

Olive oil is mad. Must have been some major olive shortage we didn't hear about....

Oh you want to buy some dishwasher detergent? That'll be 120% more than it was 2 years ago thanks.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I tend to just buy the cheap Woolies bread unless I'm splurging for proper bakery bread, because all the in between stuff tastes like s**t IMO. Over the course of one week, a loaf of that bread went from $1.40 to $2.40.

I'm lucky enough that to me $100 or so a year makes little difference, but a lot of people aren't so lucky, and a lot of those people are probably the same people who would buy that bread, and now still have little choice but to buy it as there's no cheaper option available.

I've been eating some absolute garbage lately lol. Because it's too expensive to buy fresh meat and veggies. Got 3 sticks of frozen garlic bread at the discount store for $3.60. feels like being a student again. Mixed frozen veggies are the go to add some sort of nutrition to things.

Mi-goreng still cheap compared to other things but has about doubled in price. Right now I'm addicted to the curry-mee that you can get at Asian grocery stores. Absolutely delish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's similar to what I've seen. They've targeted the high frequency consumables, the things that everyone buys on a weekly basis. Small amounts on a massive scale, each and every week. Nice business model if you can set it up.

We've just gone back to making our own bread again. Takes a bit of time but is a *load cheaper and the product is much, much better.

Mi-goreng still cheap compared to other things but has about doubled in price. Right now I'm addicted to the curry-mee that you can get at Asian grocery stores. Absolutely delish

With three teenagers in the house, we pretty much fuel the whole shebang with instant noods.

I've found that padding out the occasional Mi-Goreng pack with these works pretty well.

6989187.jpg

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I don’t know if it’s just Sydney or what but since I’ve been here I’ve noticed veal schnittys go for about $120 a kilo at butcher’s and that seems unreal to me. What’s veal code for gold plated diamonds?
Veal schnitzel cuts at my local butcher are $40/kg (Angus Beef Topside Schnitzel's selling for $17/kg) so someone's having a lend selling them for $120 unless there's a shortage of calves in NSW.

Jimmy95

Cancelled
Apr 17, 2023
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A significant portion of the inflation problem is brought on by pure corporate greed in raising prices way above the increased costs incurred.

The Government's covid response of flooding the economy with cash hasn't helped either.

Back in past eras such as the 1930s depression, people would hunt and fish during tough times. Now we're slaves to supermarket chain price gauging.

Watching some Australian history on the ABC, people in the late 40s and 50s would literally build their own houses with generic building plans provided by architects.

Times have changed a lot.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It’s a pretty common price here in Sydney.
Your post prompted me to look at the Aust Meat and Livestock Market Report. It makes surprisingly interesting reading:

Three points in particular:

- good rainfall and favourable seasonal conditions seen last year will ensure that there will be solid supply of both young and slaughter weight cattle over the next two years, regardless of seasonal outcomes.

- Southern Australia will continue to drive increases in cattle numbers, particularly New South Wales, with supply improvements also expected from southern Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria to different extents.

- the availability of skilled and unskilled workers to manage the increased supply of cattle in 2023 will be the major issue affecting the red meat industry. The processing sector’s ability to process cattle will determine production levels and therefore exports in 2023.

So the issue affecting meat prices is not the lack of supply of cattle but the lack of skilled and unskilled workers to process it.

The labour supply issue is common across a lot of sectors atm after covid resulted 2-3 years of net zero migration. . It's having a major impact on rising prices - including Shnitty's in Sydney.

Which is why the government is under pressure to increase skilled migration.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Your post prompted me to look at the Aust Meat and Livestock Market Report. It makes surprisingly interesting reading:

Three points in particular:

- good rainfall and favourable seasonal conditions seen last year will ensure that there will be solid supply of both young and slaughter weight cattle over the next two years, regardless of seasonal outcomes.

- Southern Australia will continue to drive increases in cattle numbers, particularly New South Wales, with supply improvements also expected from southern Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria to different extents.

- the availability of skilled and unskilled workers to manage the increased supply of cattle in 2023 will be the major issue affecting the red meat industry. The processing sector’s ability to process cattle will determine production levels and therefore exports in 2023.

So the issue affecting meat prices is not the lack of supply of cattle but the lack of skilled and unskilled workers to process it.

The labour supply issue is common across a lot of sectors atm after covid resulted 2-3 years of net zero migration. . It's having a major impact on rising prices - including Shnitty's in Sydney.

Which is why the government is under pressure to increase skilled migration.

Clearly it calls for Robbie Gray to return to his original vocation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back