Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Research shows that it's not just age but education, gender and socio economic status that influence voting patterns:

• Females were less likely to vote for the Coalition compared to males, but the largest difference in voting patterns by gender was for the Greens (22.5 per cent of females voted for the Greens compared to 16.4 per cent of males).
  • Young Australians were more likely to have voted for Labor and substantially more likely to vote for the Greens.
  • Coalition voters tended to be older, non-Indigenous, with low education, living outside of capital cities and with a household income that puts them outside of the bottom income quintile.
  • Labor voters tended to have high levels of education and lived in capital cities.
  • Greens voters tended to be female, young, born in Australia or another English-speaking country and without a trade qualification.
And probably more importantly given recent Federal and State election results, the Federal Coalition's continuing reluctance to promote gender diversity in its ranks is seen as a huge concern going forward.

OR as Liberal Party campaign strategist Tony Barry said after yet another devastating Liberal Party defeat, this time in the Victorian election:

"We need to position ourselves to appeal to a wider range of voters and not just somewhere between The Australia Club and Sky After Dark..."

Last edited:

I think it's a given that most individuals become more politically conservative as they age. The Libs will rebrand for the next generation of people that don't want what the alternative offers.

Still waiting for this to happen. I think it's a myth these days, may have been true in the past.

One of my friends used to be a lib voter in his 20s, now 40 and switched sides and is green/left.

Everyone I know I was at uni with 10 years ago are pretty much in professional careers now, and not one of them have remotely changed their views to support the right.

The lib voting demographic is very much the older generation or rural people voting for the nats.

Still waiting for this to happen. I think it's a myth these days, may have been true in the past.

One of my friends used to be a lib voter in his 20s, now 40 and switched sides and is green/left.

Everyone I know I was at uni with 10 years ago are pretty much in professional careers now, and not one of them have remotely changed their views to support the right.

The lib voting demographic is very much the older generation or rural people voting for the nats.

Okay, Antony.

Cant you just tell he was destined for greater things?
Or perhaps a jockey.

Julia Banks drilling, without anaesthetic, into the LNP psyche.

It's the fact that, by embracing the religious perverts, the LNP have forgotten the drift away from religion within Australia. Old, white Pentacostal codgers are out of favour.
Screenshot_20221129-180856_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's the fact that, by embracing the religious perverts, the LNP have forgotten the drift away from religion within Australia. Old, white Pentacostal codgers are out of favour.
View attachment 1566453
This shows that about 55% of people are still religious. That's a majority.

View attachment 1566453
They sure know how to put even more people off religion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm an old campaigner who comes from an era where men were men and women were glad of it (that's obviously a joke :)), but regarding the differences of opinion on the use, or overuse of rainbow flags I sometimes struggle to see the relevance of some of the current tv advertisements.

Blokes adopting babies and women buying engagement rings I get, but the one where two girls are stuck in traffic, the driver decides to chomp on some chewing gum and the passenger reads that as a signal to jump her and play some tongue hockey, not quite so much.

In a real life heavy traffic situation I suspect that :rainbow: or no :rainbow: there would be plenty of other drivers offering them advice that may not fit the narrative of that ad, and if two heterosexuals were involved they would cop just as much similar `advice'.

Interesting graphs on voting trends from the ANU study referenced earlier which backs your claim that the 'as you age you vote conservative' is overly simplistic and illusory.

The sad fact for the Coalition that as people age they are no longer shifting their votes to the conservative side of politics as they once did. And less than 1 in 4 voters under the age of 40 voted for the coalition at the 2022 Federal election.

The sad fact for Labor is that while they are much more successful at getting an increasing share of young AND older voters than they once did, the writing is on the wall for their overall vote as younger voters desert them for the Greens in massive numbers.

And almost one in three voters cast their ballot for minor parties or independent candidates in the 2022 federal election, the highest number in almost 100 years.

FjLIMrQaUAEczEm

Last edited:
Reading through the ANU report released today and you were spot on.

"The assumption that Millennials will shift to the right as they age has not been borne out... through processes of generational replacement, the electorate is moving to the left and becoming more progressive in a range of policy areas."

Change your name to Antony mate.

Reading through the ANU report released today and you were spot on.

"The assumption that Millennials will shift to the right as they age has not been borne out... through processes of generational replacement, the electorate is moving to the left and becoming more progressive in a range of policy areas."

Change your name to Antony mate.

How old are millennial? 25-30? That's not old enough to move to the right.

Have a couple of kids who reach teenage years, struggle to pay off a mortgage for 15-20 years and then most will move to the right of centre. That doesn't mean hard right.

How old are millennial? 25-30? That's not old enough to move to the right.

Have a couple of kids who reach teenage years, struggle to pay off a mortgage for 15-20 years and then most will move to the right of centre. That doesn't mean hard right.
1980- 1994, so the oldest millennials are pushing into their 40s

1980- 1994, so the oldest millennials are pushing into their 40s
Given Yanks make these boxes to stick people in, the dates we are talking about will be January 1981 - Reagan's inauguration to January 1997 - Clinton's 2nd inauguration.

Stating you have a religion on a census and actually being religious are two different things.
Reluctant to comment on religion per se (apart from the loony stuff) as it is something so many people hold as being central to who they are, even in 2022 - mostly in principle rather than practice.

But, yeah, reckon the % of the Australian population who have religion at the centre of their life (as opposed to say sending their kids to a religious school and the like) would be pretty small and falling.

Have no issues with religious association at all. Just keep it out of politics/policy and don't give religious businesses automatic tax exempt status or subsidies would be my main concerns.

Last edited:
Reluctant to comment on religion per se (apart from the loony stuff) as it is something so many people hold as being central to who they are, even in 2022 - in principle rather than practice.

But, yeah, reckon the % of the Australian population who have religion at the centre of their life (as opposed to say sending their kids to a religious school and the like) would be pretty small and falling.

Have no issues with religious association at all. Just keep it out of politics/policy and don't give religious businesses automatic tax exempt status or subsidies would be my main concerns.
Case in point, my parents used to always put down a religion because they were Christened. They didn’t attend church though and didn’t really believe in God.
I have no issues with religion either, apart from the hate filled ones and Government infiltration.
A party trying to bring extreme religious ideology into law, I would be totally against as would my parents have been.

Case in point, my parents used to always put down a religion because they were Christened. They didn’t attend church though and didn’t really believe in God.
I have no issues with religion either, apart from the hate filled ones and Government infiltration.
A party trying to bring extreme religious ideology into law, I would be totally against as would my parents have been.

Yeah my folks did the same. Filled in the census as church of England despite not being religious in the slightest. It's just what they were raised as. In terms of beliefs agnostic at best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back