juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Car and motorhome rental is getting out of hand, and even accommodation. I just saw a listing for a very and I mean very basic hotel at over $300pn despite regular rates at $110.

Who here would pay $450 per day for a standard motor home. Just looked it up and for 7 days minimum, everything around $3000 - $3300

7 days car rental would be $700 add to accommodation and it comes to no more than $2100. I get supply and demand and the fact that the rental industry went stupid offloading assets during 2020 but surely nobody is dumb enough to spend that sort of money. So big question: Why are prices this high?

18 months ago the rate for rental cars was $40ish per day. Now they're about $110ish per day.

It's definitely getting to the point that I'd just hire the cheapest car and sleep in it
Where on earth and what car are you paying $110 a day for? Maybe if you rock up to the airport and ask for a car that day. I just paid $750 for 10 days in QLD for a SUV and that was only because I left it it until 2 weeks out to book.

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
Where on earth and what car are you paying $110 a day for? Maybe if you rock up to the airport and ask for a car that day. I just paid $750 for 10 days in QLD for a SUV and that was only because I left it it until 2 weeks out to book.
in tassie they cost a fortune. During the school holidays they cost a fortune.

RobbieGray17

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tell me this is acceptable. What moron would pay this money for a MH. Car rental isn't much you can do anything about unless you were renting long enough to risk buying and selling a car. Wouldn't recommend.

Cr1.JPG

Cr2.JPG

CR3.JPG

Mr1.JPG

Ihateyoutube*******comments.JPG

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tell me this is acceptable. What moron would pay this money for a MH. Car rental isn't much you can do anything about unless you were renting long enough to risk buying and selling a car. Wouldn't recommend.

View attachment 1139581
View attachment 1139583
View attachment 1139584
View attachment 1139585
View attachment 1139593
Yeh the top one obviously inflated booking 2 days out. I dong know enough about MH rental. If you book a car far enough in advance you can get a third of that price. Same with flights, if you can plan ahead you save.

RobbieGray17

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeh the top one obviously inflated booking 2 days out. I dong know enough about MH rental. If you book a car far enough in advance you can get a third of that price. Same with flights, if you can plan ahead you save.
Unfortunately I do not have that luxury. I wish I did, I really do. The amount of money I've lost in the past trying to plan in advance is painful. You can see car rental agencies are cashing in on Covid by offering big discounts if you pay in advance rather than at the desk. I detest hotels not refunding money or providing credit for a future visit during a period of high occupancy but yet they're happy to double dip by relisting the room.

I'm very reluctant to support hotels that refuse to offer future credit upon cancellations.

I just looked up Brisbane for this weekend and it's $80per day for a MH/CV What the fu** is up with Perth?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad