Travel Domestic Travel in AUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends entirely on what you're interested in/who you're going with. Obviously a heap of great beaches if you just want to lounge in the sun, Surfers is great too if you want entertainment, have kids, want a central place with access to all that stuff and the big high rise accomodations. Broadbeach is close to SF but is probably a bit more laid back and less of the stigma of SF. Plenty of other nice coastal spots travelling down that coastline.

Plenty of golf courses around within short access.

You can go more inland if you want but I feel like people go North for the weather and water so might defeat the point of being on the GC. Still heaps of nice scenery, mountains, smaller regional towns, etc.

There's various fishing charters around. Depending on when you're up there, you might be able to catch an AFL/NRL game, or other sporting events.

Lots to do for many demographics depending on what you like.

Spit tomorrow.
Unsure after that.

In Surfers for a few days .
Skydeck and few others things look ok there.

Not keen and fishing or golf.

Goings to cats v suns game.

Don't have a car.

Some day tours look interesting..

Wildlife sanctuary looks ok.

i would catch a bus down the gc hwy (can get one that goes right to cooly, look on maps for exact route numbers, buses are usually quiet too outside of school kids.

i would say go to burleigh, grab some food and or a drink around james st/connor st area, walk around the burleigh headland.
another good stop would be around coolangatta way, beach walk here, plenty of food and drink with all the shops, go to point danger, even be touristy and get a photo with one leg in each state lol

whale watching tours by boat can be good ? if you have young kids, do aqua duck or super duck maybe?

yeh wildlife sanctuary is close to me, thats always good. tey have shows at different times of the day, maybe see if that info is online or call them, partc if you wanna do a half day only. if you do go there, its a 5 min walk to the currumbin surfclub as you probably know, always good spot for a quick drink or coffee as its right on the water

so yeh, a few things. i dont venture north of mermaid or miami - miami has some good eye candy, but then again, so do all the beaches and beach walks

Anyone have any views between Cairns, Port Douglas and Palm Cove? Whether to split 7-10 days up between them or do them all 3-4 nights each on the one winter getaway.

Haven't been that far up.

But the bloke said on the plane the taxi and uber was expensive to go up the road 20 mins .

Transport on sunny coast and gold coast on paper seems better.

Prob depends on what things you like to do .

Watch for the snakes

Anyone have any views between Cairns, Port Douglas and Palm Cove? Whether to split 7-10 days up between them or do them all 3-4 nights each on the one winter getaway.

Cairns is rubbish, get out asap. Port Douglas is really beautiful & chill.

The reef trips out of Cairns to Fitzroy Island are cheaper than the trips out of Port Douglas, but the Port Douglas tours were much better value for money. Don’t bother with learning to deep dive - it’s expensive and the lack of time means you just und up limiting what you see. Yeah, they got to see “under” the reef in about a 5m x 5m area - but I scuba’d probably a 100m x 100m area really thoroughly.

Depends on the budget, but Port Douglas and Palm Cove are much better to stay in for longer. Went up last month and spent one night in Cairns, that was one night too many. Feels very dirty and a bit grim when you compare it to the locations up north. I stayed in Trinity Beach for a few nights and that was really beautiful if you want a more local feel.

Palm Cove is expensive but there's a lot of access to bars/nightlife as well as places to dine. Beautiful location and beach as well.

Port Douglas is unreal, could easily spend a week there. Mossman is close by, and there's plenty of trails to go on walks. I'm not even a walking/nature person, but going to Port Douglas really changed that.

Would recommend a hire car, Ubers and shuttles are inconvenient and relatively expensive. Public transport is solid in the Cairns area, but pretty average and sporadic anywhere else, including Palm Cove and Trinity Beach.

And yes, watch for snakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold coast .

Southport ❌.
Only main beach and tedder av worth looking at.Also where the driverless bus is.
The spit alright too.

Surfers paradise.
Lots of Massage rooms and escape rooms places lol.
Home of the GC is bit gritty.
But everything' runs though the place Inc tours ,tourist things to do .
Hop on off ferrys are good to see places .
Holy moly quiet cheesy but fun mini golf place .
Aqua duck prob better if you had kids thought the hop of ferry was better.
HOTA art gallery with cafe on the roof, great spot for a coffee and snaps .
Had early/late breakfast lunch at one place heard yelling and stuff asked what's all thst about it was Karen cafe ..therescacKarens diner lol..
MS the ground better in person than it looks on telly .
Sufers beach is quiet busy the beach all around the coast is pretty good .
Cavill av quiet Gritty bit dirty.
Saw a homeless guy in bikinis ( thought Trevor Phillips from gta5).r
Smashed out walk from sea world to the spit .

Palm beach .

Less busy than surfers .
Less high buildings etc.
Doggy beach area quiet good.

Piss easy to get about light rail and buses.

Mrs picked the hotels .
The one in SP was top notch .

One in Palm beach I felt I was in witness protection or on the run from the mop.

Only regret not doing much on the south GC .

Billy ray

Gold coast .

Southport ❌.
Only main beach and tedder av worth looking at.Also where the driverless bus is.
The spit alright too.

Surfers paradise.
Lots of Massage rooms and escape rooms places lol.
Home of the GC is bit gritty.
But everything' runs though the place Inc tours ,tourist things to do .
Hop on off ferrys are good to see places .
Holy moly quiet cheesy but fun mini golf place .
Aqua duck prob better if you had kids thought the hop of ferry was better.
HOTA art gallery with cafe on the roof, great spot for a coffee and snaps .
Had early/late breakfast lunch at one place heard yelling and stuff asked what's all thst about it was Karen cafe ..therescacKarens diner lol..
MS the ground better in person than it looks on telly .
Sufers beach is quiet busy the beach all around the coast is pretty good .
Cavill av quiet Gritty bit dirty.
Saw a homeless guy in bikinis ( thought Trevor Phillips from gta5).r
Smashed out walk from sea world to the spit .

Palm beach .

Less busy than surfers .
Less high buildings etc.
Doggy beach area quiet good.

Piss easy to get about light rail and buses.

Mrs picked the hotels .
The one in SP was top notch .

One in Palm beach I felt I was in witness protection or on the run from the mop.

Only regret not doing much on the south GC .

Billy ray
Yeh next time you or anyone heads up, avoid north of broadbeach. Tours and the like do hotel pickups or just head up a few hours earlier.

Yeh next time you or anyone heads up, avoid north of broadbeach. Tours and the like do hotel pickups or just head up a few hours earlier.

Yeah.

I didn't not like it up there.
Expect Southport totally dive .

Just would of liked a few days down South.

And some hinterland action .

We were off to Tassie.
But changed plans .

Off to WA.
Instead.

I wanna see abit more of my state.
Wilson prom high up there.
Heaps of coastal VIC towns I want to do as easy weekend trips. Might try and do Warnambool before daylight savings ends.

In Merimbula atm (from melb) and the nsw south coast is worth a visit. Beaches are awsome ie Merimbula and Tathra, and the kids loved bermagui blue pool. Definatly a summer destination not sure what it would be like in winter

The convo in regard to cairns, we go to trinity / palm cove every year, cairns city is ok to visit but wouldn’t want to stay there. Just to swim at the warm beach whilst it’s 10 in Melbourne is worth the visit. You will need a hire car…

In Merimbula atm (from melb) and the nsw south coast is worth a visit. Beaches are awsome ie Merimbula and Tathra, and the kids loved bermagui blue pool. Definatly a summer destination not sure what it would be like in winter

The convo in regard to cairns, we go to trinity / palm cove every year, cairns city is ok to visit but wouldn’t want to stay there. Just to swim at the warm beach whilst it’s 10 in Melbourne is worth the visit. You will need a hire car…

It's a good spot there.
NSW South coast is good .

Would be good if more people posted in this thread.
I'm interested in places esp the places I haven't been ...yet.

We just got back from Perth.

Perth very clean city very easy to get around Perth has a train from the Airport and 5 free cat buses so easy to get to your hotel etc.
If you don't want to walk about get the cat buses to see the city.
Some areas of Perth a very nice but there are some dodgy parts as well esp William st near the fast food and bus stops even duing the day time.
Sunsets are good in Perth , Optus looks good at night time all lit up.
If feeling adventurous take the zip line.
Cruises on the river are good.
Margo river area good.
Day trips to pinnacles or wave rock or pink lake etc.
Don't need to pack pants or jackets 30+ every day .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1678014932196.jpg
    FB_IMG_1678014932196.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 39
I’m travelling to broken hill end of April, and coming back via sth australia, thinking of 5 nights around the sth end of flinders ranges ie Quorn then down to the Clare valley are back via mt gambier, might be lucky to squeez a bit more in.
Anyone have any suggestions of that area ?

Clare Valley is lovely, probably my favourite wine region in Australia. They have a nice flat bike path that follows the old rail line and goes past most of the best wineries. Would definitely recommend a couple of days there if you're a fan of the vino.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back