Travel Domestic Travel in AUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Car and motorhome rental is getting out of hand, and even accommodation. I just saw a listing for a very and I mean very basic hotel at over $300pn despite regular rates at $110.

Who here would pay $450 per day for a standard motor home. Just looked it up and for 7 days minimum, everything around $3000 - $3300

7 days car rental would be $700 add to accommodation and it comes to no more than $2100. I get supply and demand and the fact that the rental industry went stupid offloading assets during 2020 but surely nobody is dumb enough to spend that sort of money. So big question: Why are prices this high?

18 months ago the rate for rental cars was $40ish per day. Now they're about $110ish per day.

It's definitely getting to the point that I'd just hire the cheapest car and sleep in it
Where on earth and what car are you paying $110 a day for? Maybe if you rock up to the airport and ask for a car that day. I just paid $750 for 10 days in QLD for a SUV and that was only because I left it it until 2 weeks out to book.

Where on earth and what car are you paying $110 a day for? Maybe if you rock up to the airport and ask for a car that day. I just paid $750 for 10 days in QLD for a SUV and that was only because I left it it until 2 weeks out to book.
Tell me this is acceptable. What moron would pay this money for a MH. Car rental isn't much you can do anything about unless you were renting long enough to risk buying and selling a car. Wouldn't recommend.

Cr1.JPG
Cr2.JPG
CR3.JPG
Mr1.JPG
Ihateyoutube*******comments.JPG

Tell me this is acceptable. What moron would pay this money for a MH. Car rental isn't much you can do anything about unless you were renting long enough to risk buying and selling a car. Wouldn't recommend.

View attachment 1139581
View attachment 1139583
View attachment 1139584
View attachment 1139585
View attachment 1139593
Yeh the top one obviously inflated booking 2 days out. I dong know enough about MH rental. If you book a car far enough in advance you can get a third of that price. Same with flights, if you can plan ahead you save.

Yeh the top one obviously inflated booking 2 days out. I dong know enough about MH rental. If you book a car far enough in advance you can get a third of that price. Same with flights, if you can plan ahead you save.
Unfortunately I do not have that luxury. I wish I did, I really do. The amount of money I've lost in the past trying to plan in advance is painful. You can see car rental agencies are cashing in on Covid by offering big discounts if you pay in advance rather than at the desk. I detest hotels not refunding money or providing credit for a future visit during a period of high occupancy but yet they're happy to double dip by relisting the room.

I'm very reluctant to support hotels that refuse to offer future credit upon cancellations.

I just looked up Brisbane for this weekend and it's $80per day for a MH/CV What the * is up with Perth?

Last edited:
I'm one of those who've bitten the bullet during COVID and decided I'm not going straight back to the job and the life that I hated.

I'm going to see all of these places - after being kicked out of my rental so the could sell it, and me being reluctant to sign up to a 12-month lease on a place sight-unseen, I fixed up the car, I bought the Jayco pop top and a couple of weeks ago jumped on the road.

Unfortunately I've had a bunch of life admin to do in that time so I haven't actually left Melbourne, but given I was evicted and I'm "moving" I don't think I should have any problems getting out of Melbourne on Tuesday.

I'm kind of hoping that I might fall in love with a sleepy (cheap) beach side town somewhere in the country where I just do a s**t kicker job and live a simpler life.

I'm one of those who've bitten the bullet during COVID and decided I'm not going straight back to the job and the life that I hated.

I'm going to see all of these places - after being kicked out of my rental so the could sell it, and me being reluctant to sign up to a 12-month lease on a place sight-unseen, I fixed up the car, I bought the Jayco pop top and a couple of weeks ago jumped on the road.

That's awesome. Have you left yet, or still in Melbs?

Re. travel within Aus, i'm just looking forward to getting down the Great Ocean Road. It's been too long (over 5 years) since I last went. My mum is from Kennett River, so I suggested we all go (me, mum dad + aunty + uncle) stay there for a night, then onto Apollo Bay for a few nights.

/also suggested we stay at the pole house. Would freaken love to do that one day.

Unfortunately I've had a bunch of life admin to do in that time so I haven't actually left Melbourne, but given I was evicted and I'm "moving" I don't think I should have any problems getting out of Melbourne on Tuesday.

I'm kind of hoping that I might fall in love with a sleepy (cheap) beach side town somewhere in the country where I just do a sh*t kicker job and live a simpler life.

Very envious, keep us updated mate

FWIW If you're planning a longish MH trip, it's surprising how much you can save by just reversing the direction.
I planned a MH trip in WA a couple of years ago and travelling Broome to Perth was about 50% of the quote for the same dates & duration for Perth to Broome.

FWIW If you're planning a longish MH trip, it's surprising how much you can save by just reversing the direction.
I planned a MH trip in WA a couple of years ago and travelling Broome to Perth was about 50% of the quote for the same dates & duration for Perth to Broome.
I've had similar experiences with a "different drop off/ one way" fee for car rental, e.g. picking up from Sunshine Coast Airport and dropping off at Gold Coast Airport for example, play around with the direction and provider if you can, sometimes they've quoted me hundreds of dollars for a one way fee, other times not at all, different providers will have different car requirements so that is also a factor beyond cheapest rate, if you are dropping off in a different location.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently on a 16 day Tasmanian road trip. A couple of days accomodation had to be rebooked due to the Covid scare down here but everything is going just great. Found plenty of awesome spots to relax and take in the sights

Anyone got hints for a 30s male traveling solo to the NT and to WA as soon as the borders open? I have never been to either and I am keen to check out some sights and night life and if there is anything I should avoid wasting money on.
Go to Katherine gorge

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Hi folks. Heading to Gold Coast for a 40th January. Spending about 5 days up there and am looking at getting out of Gold Coast at least three. Just me and the wife. Thinking:

a) Sunshine Coast- eg Noosa, or a friend of mine recommended Alexandra Headlands.

b) just south of the border toward Byron- Kingscliffe, Brunswick Heads etc.

Mindful will be school holidays. Have been to GC, Byron and Noosa before, but a while back, and we’ll have a car for day trips. Any recommendations from those who know the area well? Thanks in advance.

Hi folks. Heading to Gold Coast for a 40th January. Spending about 5 days up there and am looking at getting out of Gold Coast at least three. Just me and the wife. Thinking:

a) Sunshine Coast- eg Noosa, or a friend of mine recommended Alexandra Headlands.

b) just south of the border toward Byron- Kingscliffe, Brunswick Heads etc.

Mindful will be school holidays. Have been to GC, Byron and Noosa before, but a while back, and we’ll have a car for day trips. Any recommendations from those who know the area well? Thanks in advance.
ok where you staying for the nights you have booked?
what time you get in on day 1 and what time you leave on day 5?
are you fully vacc'd (dont have to answer but this may affect (depending on whats going on) your ability to go south to NSW (which hopefully you can as thats god's own country

ok where you staying for the nights you have booked?
what time you get in on day 1 and what time you leave on day 5?
are you fully vacc'd (dont have to answer but this may affect (depending on whats going on) your ability to go south to NSW (which hopefully you can as thats god's own country
Fully vaxxed, will be staying GC night of 21 Jan for party and flying back to Adelaide on 25th. Looking for 3 nights elsewhere.

Fully vaxxed, will be staying GC night of 21 Jan for party and flying back to Adelaide on 25th. Looking for 3 nights elsewhere.
ok cool. i dont want to be pedantic, but where on GC you saying, what suburb. surfers?( Shell heheheh) broadbeach? burleigh?

noosa is nice but quite north (top end of the sunny coast) so longer drive - check out caloundra and alexandria heads that are south end of sunny coast and are closer to the goldie (less driving).

the southern gold coast is where i am and so much better than central/northern parts of the coast IMHO. check out tallebudgera creek, currumbin creek, and kirra through to the border (coolangatta, rainbow bay etc).

northern nsw is amazing . kingscliff, cudgen creek, cabarita beach,hastings point and down to brunswick heads. all stunning

but depends on what you are looking for. feel free to ask questions and run things past me you are looking at and i can tell you more.

ok cool. i dont want to be pedantic, but where on GC you saying, what suburb. surfers?( Shell heheheh) broadbeach? burleigh?

noosa is nice but quite north (top end of the sunny coast) so longer drive - check out caloundra and alexandria heads that are south end of sunny coast and are closer to the goldie (less driving).

the southern gold coast is where i am and so much better than central/northern parts of the coast IMHO. check out tallebudgera creek, currumbin creek, and kirra through to the border (coolangatta, rainbow bay etc).

northern nsw is amazing . kingscliff, cudgen creek, cabarita beach,hastings point and down to brunswick heads. all stunning

but depends on what you are looking for. feel free to ask questions and run things past me you are looking at and i can tell you more.
Appreciate the effort mate. Staying Burleigh. I guess we could stay 4 nights there and day trip down to those places you mentioned. Or you reckon we’re better off basing ourselves down there? It’s not far I guess.

It’s those latter places you mentioned that interest me. Probably looking for something a bit more scenic and laid back than GC/SC.

Appreciate the effort mate. Staying Burleigh. I guess we could stay 4 nights there and day trip down to those places you mentioned. Or you reckon we’re better off basing ourselves down there? It’s not far I guess.

It’s those latter places you mentioned that interest me. Probably looking for something a bit more scenic and laid back than GC/SC.
ok, burleigh is nice, walk around the headland (hopefully path is open) = its 15 min walk and you get to talle creek mouth.
dont even nother going into surfers unless you really have to - if something there is on your list, let me know what it is and i'll be honest yay or nay.
broadbeach isnt much better.

day trips to the places in nsw is easy - if you check out driving times from say burleigh beach to brunswick heads, its not that bad.

sunny coast is a bit further, bypassing northern GC, brisbane and then onwards. i have done the up and back in a day and its too much, onl get 4 hours or so before turning around, but going up to say caloundra early one day and back late the next day fills 2 days at a good pace, but car driving will be about 4+ hours or so (2+ each way depending on traffic).

do some googling, make a list or shoot me messages on anything at any stage, im always on here.
maybe you will stay and can join the SUNS

ok, burleigh is nice, walk around the headland (hopefully path is open) = its 15 min walk and you get to talle creek mouth.
dont even nother going into surfers unless you really have to - if something there is on your list, let me know what it is and i'll be honest yay or nay.
broadbeach isnt much better.

day trips to the places in nsw is easy - if you check out driving times from say burleigh beach to brunswick heads, its not that bad.

sunny coast is a bit further, bypassing northern GC, brisbane and then onwards. i have done the up and back in a day and its too much, onl get 4 hours or so before turning around, but going up to say caloundra early one day and back late the next day fills 2 days at a good pace, but car driving will be about 4+ hours or so (2+ each way depending on traffic).

do some googling, make a list or shoot me messages on anything at any stage, im always on here.
maybe you will stay and can join the SUNS
Thanks again mate. If there was one of those northern NSW towns you’d pick to stay (good accommodation, amenities etc), would you have a preference?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back