Society/Culture Domestic Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn.

I knew opening this thread that it would be a piece of s**t.

It's so much worse than I anticipated. So many attempts to claim victim status by prescious w***ers whose mothers apparently didn't love them enough.

If men can't understand the institutional advantage we are given, we aren't qualified to comment on gender issues such as family violence.

Potential post of the year IMO.

I don’t know what else to say either.

From the post above, it’s like talking to a brick wall. Zero acknowledgement of the terror inflicted on someone in their own home.

There isn't many people who would condone the violence, assault, murder of someone else.

The point some people make about articles like this, is they only focus on females who are murdered, with not a mention of males who are murdered, as a comparison.

Surely the argument and conversation should be about violence, assault and murder, without being gender specific?

This can't be looked at from just the female perspective which is exactly a big part of why there is a general resistance to dealing with this issue. While males still make up something along the lines of 64% of victims of murder and there is very little being done to deal with the issues around males being victims of domestic violence you can clearly understand why there is a large disinterest in all engaging in this issue.
Yes, men are affected too, but the discrepancy is significant. You are once again just playing this off as a non-gender issue when all the evidence point to a giant difference between the genders.

72,000 women, 34,000 children and 9,000 men sought homelessness services in 2016–17 due to family/domestic violence
1 woman a week and 1 man a month were killed by a current or former partner in the 2 years from 2012–13 to 2013–14
2,800 women and 560 men were hospitalised in 2014–15 after being assaulted by a spouse or partner
1 in 6 (1.5 million) women and 1 in 9 (992,000) men were physically and/or sexually abused before the age of 15

https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/dom...l-violence-in-australia-2018/contents/summary

Please do some research. The Government and every organisation isn't doing campaigns for domestic violence against women because they hate men... It really boggles the mind and does make me angry that people are some how trying to say "yeah but what about men". Domestic violence is a problem for all genders and children. Everyone acknowledges that. However women are affected more and that's a typical gender line between masculinity and femininity.

There isn't many people who would condone the violence, assault, murder of someone else.

The point some people make about articles like this, is they only focus on females who are murdered, with not a mention of males who are murdered, as a comparison.

Surely the argument and conversation should be about violence, assault and murder, without being gender specific?

6 women, 5 days.

Last edited:
I don't know what to say about this, so I will just post the article.

It's a major issue for our society and we don't seem to be successful in addressing it.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/li...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1539038531

This is one of many issues we are failing to address and will always fail to eradicate. Mums killing their babies and children is an ongoing issue too. Men killing themselves at a rate of around 45 males a week is another one. Drug and alcohol abuse and driving while under the influence are others. Gambling addiction is another. One of these issues gets far more coverage and funding than any other.

Domestic violence will always be with us just as bullying will always be present wherever humans gather. The reason campaigns fail is because they try to pretend that the problem is simply attributable to toxic masculinity rather than a complex range of things. Mental health, drug and alcohol addiction, mutual partner violence , poor education, financial stress and other factor all contribute to this problem. Until our government and media stop blaming men and stop believing that telling men to stop being violent will solve the issue we will make no progress. A tiny portion of our society die in domestic conflicts. Men are generally more powerful and aggressive than women so even when abuse is reciprocal the likely outcome is a badly injured or even dead woman. To think these ridiculous advertisements which smear all men by saying we are all responsible would change one volatile, drug addicted or mentally ill man from being violent in a heated exchange with his wife or partner is insane.

An honest wholistic approach to the issue would be far more likely to succeed in at least reducing current rates of family violence but the whole issue is ideologically driven so that will never happen.

6 women, 5 days.

I remember a few years ago around 13 children were killed by their mums in a two week period and no-one-not one person called for a campaign to tell mums to stop abusing and murdering their kids. Eight of them were murdered by one mum who's name has now slipped from all memory as the media stopped writing about her almost as soon as the crime was committed. Why does this happen if we are passionate about all victims of family violence rather than a specific subset?

I've said this many times before-the rate of suicide of men is four times that of women. Would you be happy if the government decided to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into prevention of male suicide and gave nothing to prevent female suicide and then justified it by saying more men are dying by their own hand?

es, men are affected too, but the discrepancy is significant. You are once again just playing this off as a non-gender issue when all the evidence point to a giant difference between the genders.

I've said this many times before-the rate of suicide of men is four times that of women. Would you be happy if the government decided to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into prevention of male suicide and gave nothing to prevent female suicide and then justified it by saying more men are dying by their own hand? The difference between the genders in domestic violence is less than the difference between the genders in suicide.

I've said this many times before-the rate of suicide of men is four times that of women. Would you be happy if the government decided to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into prevention of male suicide and gave nothing to prevent female suicide and then justified it by saying more men are dying by their own hand? The difference between the genders in domestic violence is less than the difference between the genders in suicide.
Yes, yes I would.

I remember a few years ago around 13 children were killed by their mums in a two week period and no-one-not one person called for a campaign to tell mums to stop abusing and murdering their kids. Eight of them were murdered by one mum who's name has now slipped from all memory as the media stopped writing about her almost as soon as the crime was committed. Why does this happen if we are passionate about all victims of family violence rather than a specific subset?

I've said this many times before-the rate of suicide of men is four times that of women. Would you be happy if the government decided to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into prevention of male suicide and gave nothing to prevent female suicide and then justified it by saying more men are dying by their own hand?

well yes. Statistically men are more likely to commit suicide. so * yes. Pour resources and funding into reducing this.

This is one of many issues we are failing to address and will always fail to eradicate. Mums killing their babies and children is an ongoing issue too. Men killing themselves at a rate of around 45 males a week is another one. Drug and alcohol abuse and driving while under the influence are others. Gambling addiction is another. One of these issues gets far more coverage and funding than any other.

Domestic violence will always be with us just as bullying will always be present wherever humans gather. The reason campaigns fail is because they try to pretend that the problem is simply attributable to toxic masculinity rather than a complex range of things. Mental health, drug and alcohol addiction, mutual partner violence , poor education, financial stress and other factor all contribute to this problem. Until our government and media stop blaming men and stop believing that telling men to stop being violent will solve the issue we will make no progress. A tiny portion of our society die in domestic conflicts. Men are generally more powerful and aggressive than women so even when abuse is reciprocal the likely outcome is a badly injured or even dead woman. To think these ridiculous advertisements which smear all men by saying we are all responsible would change one volatile, drug addicted or mentally ill man from being violent in a heated exchange with his wife or partner is insane.

An honest wholistic approach to the issue would be far more likely to succeed in at least reducing current rates of family violence but the whole issue is ideologically driven so that will never happen.

more women were killed this week than young men killed by coward punches, yet we have an entire city in Australia effectively locked out of establishments to curb violence from alcohol and reduce violence

Sick of these ******* excuses.

Yes, yes I would.
I think that would be a terrible decision. So you think the fact that 600 women kill themselves every year is of no consequence because over 2000 men die every year? Why not try to help prevent the suicide of people! Hundreds of men and children have been killed by women in family violence incidents during the past decade but they are rarely if ever mentioned when the subject is discussed and the issue of female abuse has never been featured in advertising campaigns even though a third of all victims are male and half of the children murdered are killed by their mums. It is a national disgrace the way the issue has been hijacked by feminists who simply want to hammer home the message that all men are inherently dangerous and predatory or at the least responsible for the behavior of a tiny minority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more women were killed this week than young men killed by coward punches, yet we have an entire city in Australia effectively locked out of establishments to curb violence from alcohol and reduce violence

If you are trying to convey the idea that our society cares more about the lives of men than it does women you are very misguided. The two issues are entirely different and the way they can be controlled or the chances of violence diminished are entirely different. Drunkenness in public places can be controlled. Can you tell me how a government controls what goes on behind closed doors in millions of individual homes each night? Public behavior in large groups can be controlled by an alcohol ban or higher rate of police on the streets. I hate this false equivalence.

I remember this statement by a writer once and it stayed with me because what he predicted has happened on numerous occasions. He said if a woman was attacked and had her genitals mutilated their would be a media meltdown, outrage and candle light vigils. Then he said, if a man was attacked and had his genitals hacked off he would be the butt of jokes on radio stations and in pubs within 24 hours. This has happened on multiple occasions both here in Australia and America. That, is the perfect indication of whose lives we value in our society.

well yes. Statistically men are more likely to commit suicide. so **** yes. Pour resources and funding into reducing this.
So why don't they? Julia Gillard is the chair of Beyond Blue. Did you know she gave a speech early this year about the scourge of suicide in our country and she never mentioned the word men once in her entire speech? You would think such an accomplishment would be impossible given the statistics we all know, but she managed it. Yet when she was PM she launched a domestic violence funding initiative which was called the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and Their Children. She gave hundreds of millions of dollars to supporting women and half a million to support phone services for men. She only spoke about women and children in her speech launching this initiative even though she knows women are responsible for the deaths of at least half the children who die and a substantial number of men too. It is incomprehensible that this women could be so gender specific when speaking about family violence and so gender neutral when speaking about an issue which overwhelmingly affects men. It's not a mistake or oversight. It is very deliberate.

I think that would be a terrible decision. So you think the fact that 600 women kill themselves every year is of no consequence because over 2000 men die every year? Why not try to help prevent the suicide of people! Hundreds of men and children have been killed by women in family violence incidents during the past decade but they are rarely if ever mentioned when the subject is discussed and the issue of female abuse has never been featured in advertising campaigns even though a third of all victims are male and half of the children murdered are killed by their mums. It is a national disgrace the way the issue has been hijacked by feminists who simply want to hammer home the message that all men are inherently dangerous and predatory or at the least responsible for the behavior of a tiny minority.
Why? The reasons that a bunch of male men might kill themselves could be and probably are hugely different to why a female might kill herself. You can't just throw a generic line at both, you have to go deeper and clearly it is affecting young men more. No one wants suicide at all, but you need to decrease the numbers and as such targeting men with more help and money is the obvious way to go.

You seem to be along the lines of thinking that everyone thinks it's only the women being abused. Not many people think that, and there are many ad campaigns out to show that.

The terrific irony however is that once people make the same sort of statements about someone who is female like Clementine Ford as an example, they are suddenly sexist and a rude male pig etc etc etc. This hypocrisy is amazing since these feminists often have no issue throwing such barbs towards men and apparently are wanting equality.
We know you don’t understand but you don’t seem to know it.

If you are trying to convey the idea that our society cares more about the lives of men than it does women you are very misguided. The two issues are entirely different and the way they can be controlled or the chances of violence diminished are entirely different. Drunkenness in public places can be controlled. Can you tell me how a government controls what goes on behind closed doors in millions of individual homes each night? Public behavior in large groups can be controlled by an alcohol ban or higher rate of police on the streets. I hate this false equivalence.

I remember this statement by a writer once and it stayed with me because what he predicted has happened on numerous occasions. He said if a woman was attacked and had her genitals mutilated their would be a media meltdown, outrage and candle light vigils. Then he said, if a man was attacked and had his genitals hacked off he would be the butt of jokes on radio stations and in pubs within 24 hours. This has happened on multiple occasions both here in Australia and America. That, is the perfect indication of whose lives we value in our society.
Here is one way: as soon as police arrive at a call out for domestic violence, arrest the male.

This has been shown to save lives in jurisdictions where it is in place. And that’s the important thing isn’t it?

Why? The reasons that a bunch of male men might kill themselves could be and probably are hugely different to why a female might kill herself. You can't just throw a generic line at both, you have to go deeper and clearly it is affecting young men more. No one wants suicide at all, but you need to decrease the numbers and as such targeting men with more help and money is the obvious way to go.

You seem to be along the lines of thinking that everyone thinks it's only the women being abused. Not many people think that, and there are many ad campaigns out to show that.
Link me to them. I've never seen an ad with a woman beating a man or a woman abusing or threatening a child.
Of course reasons for suicide may differ according to gender-how does that make any difference to the allocation of funding to meet those specific needs?

Link me to them. I've never seen an ad with a woman beating a man or a woman abusing or threatening a child.
Of course reasons for suicide may differ according to gender-how does that make any difference to the allocation of funding to meet those specific needs?
I have, but I've been in the UK for the last 16 months so I don't really have much knowledge of Australian TV at the moment but there is one over here for violence against men.

I also told you the reason for allocation of funding. If you choose to ignore it, that is not my problem.

We know you don’t understand but you don’t seem to know it.
We know you don't understand
Here is one way: as soon as police arrive at a call out for domestic violence, arrest the male.

This has been shown to save lives in jurisdictions where it is in place. And that’s the important thing isn’t it?
Have you got proof of this? Cause it seems pretty illogical that if police turned up to a scene where a male was clearly assaulted for example they should arrest him.

What you say doesn't happen in countries like the US.

I don't know what to say about this, so I will just post the article.

It's a major issue for our society and we don't seem to be successful in addressing it.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/li...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1539038531
That case in Wollongong was particularly unsettling.

It's a worldwide issue though - not just 'our society'. If you want to get an idea of how the human species operates, read this:

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/10/03/inenglish/1538568010_930565.html

Every year. more males are victim of violence in society than females. Why are you selecting another group that has a lower rate of violence against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back