Society/Culture Domestic Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever experienced domestic violence/consistent emotional abuse?

I have. It's not fun.

Thanks for telling me that my experiences were insignificant though.
Awwww, do you want a hug?

I'm sorry I don't have any sympathy for you sweetie, but what makes you think your experiences are any more significant than the stories on the website I linked?

I'm sorry I don't have any sympathy for you sweetie, but what makes you think your experiences are any more significant than the stories on the website I linked?
So you only have sympathy for women?

You sound kinda sexist to be honest.

I think it's pretty obvious that you're nothing more than a troll, because I know you wouldn't have the guts to say the same thing to a girl that recounted the same experience.

Well, it kind of is, when you consider about 50 women will be killed this year from their male partners, and you know, **** ALL men killed by women this year.

You are disturbing me with your flippancy in the face of the murder of children and men by women. What is your sick agenda? Tell the many fathers who have had their kids killed by their mums that the violence used on their children was insignificant. Tell the loved ones of the men murdered by female partners that their deaths are insignificant. Your attitude absolutely disgusts me.

You are a troll but you are also a sickening low life. You mock a man who has experienced domestic violence and prove everything I have said with your one sick comment. You truly do not give a stuff about men and their pain.

s**t comment, and part of the problem.
It's that kind of crap that makes men hide it, and could potentially end up suicidal.

You are disturbing me with your flippancy in the face of the murder of children and men by women. What is your sick agenda? Tell the many fathers who have had their kids killed by their mums that the violence used on their children was insignificant. Tell the loved ones of the men murdered by female partners that their deaths are insignificant. Your attitude absolutely disgusts me.
Think of all the people who have been helped by WhiteRibbon...
Tell them that they were helped by scum.
Tell the women that have lost kids and been almost beaten to death, that WhiteRibbon is a disgusting organisation.

s**t comment, and part of the problem.
It's that kind of crap that makes men hide it, and could potentially end up suicidal.

Think of all the people who have been helped by WhiteRibbon...
Tell them that they were helped by scum.
Tell the women that have lost kids and been almost beaten to death, that WhiteRibbon is a disgusting organisation.

If I saw an accident on the street and two people were trapped in a burning car, and a rescuer jumped in and pulled out the woman but decided to leave the man to burn you would not find me patting them on the back. Clearly the funding for women has helped and that is good-what disgusts me is that this empathy and support is not extended to men. It is not hard to understand for any compassionate person. I will add that any organization that asks men to swear an oath that they will not harm women is every bit as bigoted and sickening as a government which would ask all of its black citizens to swear an oath that they will not rob, kill or rape. Do you get it?

If I saw an accident on the street and two people were trapped in a burning car, and a rescuer jumped in and pulled out the woman but decided to leave the man to burn you would not find me patting them on the back. Clearly the funding for women has helped and that is good-what disgusts me is that this empathy and support is not extended to men. It is not hard to understand for any compassionate person. I will add that any organization that asks men to swear an oath that they will not harm women is every bit as bigoted and sickening as a government which would ask all of its black citizens to swear an oath that they will not rob, kill or rape. Do you get it?
I think you could make some good points if you just eased up on the hyperbole.
Saying that men swearing an oath not to harm women is sickening... is just a ridiculous comment.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son and daughter.

But let's look at a hypothetical.
Someone else has 1 son and 1 daughter.
The daughter is attacked 3 times, the son is attacked once.
Should the care and resources still be split 50:50?

I think you could make some good points if you just eased up on the hyperbole.
Saying that men swearing an oath not to harm women is sickening... is just a ridiculous comment.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son and daughter.

But let's look at a hypothetical.
Someone else has 1 son and 1 daughter.
The daughter is attacked 3 times, the son is attacked once.
Should the care and resources still be split 50:50?

Thank you for your sympathy.

Your point is mistaken. Care and resources should be given to each individual on a needs basis. The funding for men is nowhere near the ratio which tells us one third of all victims of DV are male. Many believe this is understated due to the shame men feel. You can see why given the crap written to Herculez09 on this thread. I have never said it should be a 50/50 split. May I ask if you read my suicide analogy and whether you would support the same approach as DV being used but with men being the sole focus rather than women?

How can you not see the bigotry in asking men and only men to swear an oath that they won't hit or harm women? The deeply embedded inference is that men would be inclined to beat the women in their lives if they didn't bind themselves by taking a public oath. That is the whole point of an oath. You take a public oath because it places more pressure on you to fulfil it.

If there is nothing wrong with this oath taking initiative and people really believe it works, why have White Ribbon not asked all mothers to swear an oath that they will not beat or kill their kids? Mums are the most likely to kill their kids. Well? How do you think such a suggestion would go down with mums and women in general.

I could give endless analogies. How about I ask the boys in my class to swear an oath that they will not cheat when we do any tests. The girls are not asked to take any oath. What is the implication? Boys are prone to cheat and girls are honest and trustworthy. A bigoted , stereotyping of an entire gender.

Last edited:
Thank you for your sympathy.
Your point is mistaken. Care and resources should be given to each individual on a needs basis. The funding for men is nowhere near the ratio which tells us one third of all victims of DV are male. Many believe this is understated due to the shame men feel. You can see why given the crap written to Herculaez09 on this thread. I have never said it should be a 50/50 split. May I ask if you read my suicide analogy and whether you would support the same approach as DV being used but with men being the sole focus rather than women?
Women aren't the sole focus. You keep making these claims, and people keep showing that you are wrong or at least exaggerating.

Increase funding for male victims of DV, 100%
We don't need to attack or bring down support for female victims of DV to do it though.

Turning it into a male vs female thing, especially in domestic violence cases, will never go well... because our attitudes are still outdated, in which absurdly there is still a belief by some that men can't be victims of domestic violence... Or even that it's funny.

Let's work on pushing for acceptance of male victims. Rather than pushing against feminism and female victims.

Women aren't the sole focus. You keep making these claims, and people keep showing that you are wrong or at least exaggerating.

We don't need to attack or bring down support for female victims of DV to do it though.

Turning it into a male vs female thing, especially in domestic violence cases, will never go well... because our attitudes are still outdated, in which absurdly there is still a belief by some that men can't be victims of domestic violence... Or even that it's funny.

Let's work on pushing for acceptance of male victims. Rather than pushing against feminism and female victims.[/QUOTE]
!

But it is feminism which creates the divide and the invisibility of male victims-not me! I am just pointing it out

But it is feminism which creates the divide and the invisibility of male victims-not me! I am just pointing it out!
No it isn't. Feminism doesn't hide men... feminism focuses on raising awareness for women...

You are doing the same thing as those idiots that claim to be feminists, while trying to hurt men.

I'm a feminist, because I want equality for women. That doesn't mean I want inequality for men...

It isn't one or the other.

Let's work on pushing for acceptance of male victims. Rather than pushing against feminism and female victims.
Name me one campaign on DV funded by the government which presents males as victims and females as perpetrators-a tv ad-radio ad, billboard-anything.
Tell me where the word men appears in this famous slogan. Australia says no to violence against women.
Women and children are the focus in all of the campaigns which affect public consciousness on the issue.

Name me one campaign on DV funded by the government which presents males as victims and females as perpetrators-a tv ad-radio ad, billboard-anything.
Tell me where the word men appears in this famous slogan. Australia says no to violence against women.
Women and children are the focus in all of the campaigns which affect public consciousness on the issue.
Ok, if I can find a single one, will that change your world view?
Or will one then not be enough, cos it's just one... and then I need 5, and then more and more?

If I find a single one... will that change your world view?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have said more needs to be done for men and that it's unbalanced... I've said it in this thread...
I've also talked about the problem with our society in not accepting men as victims the same way we accept women...
Again, your hyperbole is getting in the way of actual discussion.

But I do note that you won't change your mind even if I provide evidence.

And you've got me. I don't have a nose on my face... how did you know?
That was such a vicious burn, I'm going to have to have a cup of tea and a lay down.
Wow. That was my lame attempt at humor. I have never met you so I thought I would not be too presumptuous. It just goes to show how things can be misinterpreted.

Didn't I reply to it, when I pointed out that it's ridiculous that you find it sickening??

I see the inference you are trying to make. But like so many of your points, it's condemnation for what hasn't been said.
It's like saying that WhiteRibbon is racist, because it only cares about women in Australia... not Uganda...

It is nothing like saying White Ribbon is racist because it only cares about women in Australia. We live in Australia so clearly our main focus is on the people who live here. What would be racist is if our police force said they were very concerned about white Australian victims of crime -a far more apt comparison to what they actually say at White RIbbon.

Please think it through. You can condemn a group or gender by not saying something just as easily as you can by saying something. My example of the boys and girls in my classroom demonstrates this very clearly. How can you pretend you don't see it?

If my son and daughter approach me with poems they have written and after reading them both, I turn to my daughter and say,
"that is the most beautiful poem I have read-you are a true poet." I read my son's poem and simply hand it back to him.

Are you seriously suggesting that because I did not say anything derogatory to my son with regards to his poem that he would have no right to feel aggrieved?

Are you suggesting that because a woman dies in a family violence incident once every six days as opposed to a man dying from a DV incident once every ten days that this is a justification for there being no mention of male victims in campaigns and no funding or support?
Get your hand off it. Men aren't dying from domestic violence in Australia every ten days

I have already dealt with your absurd logic with regard to the numbers of victims by referencing our approach to suicide. The gap between male and female victims is far bigger than the gender gap in domestic violence.
Are you saying all male suicides are due to domestic violence?

(FYI Beyondblue- who do receive federal government funding- have several campaigns targeted at preventing mental health issues in men?)

Again-the simple difference between you and me is that I care about all victims of domestic violence and want all of them to be supported. You on the other hand are twisting yourself inside out in order to justify the complete absence of support for males.
Support is there. There aren't as many programs as there are for women, because men are more often than not the perpetrators, not the victims.

So you only have sympathy for women?
I know you wouldn't have the guts to say the same thing to a girl that recounted the same experience.
You're right, I wouldn't say that to a woman: that's because men who suffer intimate partner violence in heterosexual relationships rarely suffer to the same extent that women do.

Also, apologies if I offended you. My comment was out of line.

Get your hand off it. Men aren't dying from domestic violence in Australia every ten days
From earlier stats - in NSW there were about 6 per year. Another 25? or so were killed by their abuse victim.

80-100 women were being killed.

From earlier stats - in NSW there were about 6 per year. Another 25? or so were killed by their abuse victim.

80-100 women were being killed.
Stats I saw from the AIC said approximately 12 men a year die from domestic violence.

In any case, I don't see how arguing about how men are also the victims of violence is relevant to a thread about Feminism.

I've provided plenty of evidence to show that it does. What's wrong with the various articles? What makes you doubt them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reality. Words mean nothing if they are not supported with action. The clue to what feminists are about is in the very word. When has a feminist group ever lobbied the government to start providing shelters for men who are abused? When have they expressed deep concern about the ever decreasing representation of males graduating at our universities? When have they ever raised millions of dollars for male specific health issues? When have feminists ever called for more diversity in ditch digging, roof tiling and deep sea fishing and asked for quotas to achieve a more equitable gender balance? When have feminists ever condemned the term "toxic masculinity"? When have feminists ever protested about the huge discrepancy in jail time for men when committing the same crime as women? I could go on.

Any time a man or woman attempts to advocate for men on any issue it is feminists who oppose them, belittle them and call such advocates women haters.
There is zero evidence to support your contention that feminists support men.

80-100 women were being killed.[/QUOTE
I just posted a link to a clip in which two people-one from the Australian Institute of Criminology says that from 2010 to 2012, 75 men died in family violence incidents and 121 women.
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE80Na_XR3c

Last edited:
You're right, I wouldn't say that to a woman: that's because men who suffer intimate partner violence in heterosexual relationships rarely suffer to the same extent that women do.

Also, apologies if I offended you. My comment was out of line.

Apology accepted.

But your comment is frighteningly ignorant. Men are brutally assaulted by female partners and they carry the scars for life if it doesn't kill them. How can you make such a wild generalization? Men are human. They bleed and feel pain. Women are not fragile petals. If an aggressive woman picks up a knife and attacks a gentle natured man she will kill or seriously wound him. I mentioned the lack of empathy for male victims and was attacked for saying it. You have proven my point. Having a penis makes a man's injuries or emotional trauma somehow less worthy of our compassion. it is unbelievable.

Get your hand off it. Men aren't dying from domestic violence in Australia every ten days[/QUOTE

Tell Dr. Samantha Bricknell from the Institute of Criminology and Dr Terry Goldsworthy from The Criminology Department at Bond University to "get their hands off it."

Listen to the short clip below and educate yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE80Na_XR3c

Instead of attacking feminism, MRAs would be better served by actually addressing the issues that men face. Unfortunately, my experience is that they prefer to attack feminism.
My experiences exactly.

I've never met a Men's Rights Advocate who didn't have an agenda against feminism.
But your comment is frighteningly ignorant. Men are brutally assaulted by female partners and they carry the scars for life if it doesn't kill them. How can you make such a wild generalization? Men are human. They bleed and feel pain. Women are not fragile petals
Perhaps I underestimated how many men are being abused by their partners. However I stand by my assertion that women suffer more than men. Women are not physically capable of abusing their partners in the same way that men are and even if they were, the same statistics show that women are more likely to suffer from domestic violence than men.

I'm not saying violence against men isn't an issue, I'm just saying that gender equality is also an issue.

Name me one campaign on DV funded by the government which presents males as victims and females as perpetrators-a tv ad-radio ad, billboard-anything. Tell me where the word men appears in this famous slogan. Australia says no to violence against women.

These guys are perpetual idiots if they can't understand that most of us don't want to stop women funding, but introduce male funding and a focus on "anyone can be the victim, and perpetrator of DV". Stop the moronic witch hunt against fathers when they are shown demonstrable stats that say the mothers abuse their kids at a higher rate (physical abuse, not sexual, granted).

That when a campaign literally says "Australia says no to violence against women", and the systems are geared to responding to a male call as though he is a perp? It's patent discrimination based on gender against your innocent sons, nephews, cousins, fathers, uncles; all male relatives, and you should be disgusted. Should. That is when they even have the guts to step up and admit a woman has done this heinous acts towards them, in a culture that screams for them to shut up and deal with it? My god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back