BARRY%20Dominic.png

Number: 33
Height: 183 cm
Weight: 70 kg
DOB: 7/3/1994
Club: North Ballarat Rebels
State: Northern Territory
Debut: NA

Dominic Barry joins the club after Melbourne traded two of their first three picks in the 2012 AFL Draft to secure him, along with Jesse Hogan through the minidraft. Barry is an outside midfielder with good skills and fantastic aerobic ability, and managed to finish extremely well in the draft combine, recording a 14.2 beep test (equal ninth best), 10:09 in the 3 km trial (third), 27 out of 30 in the kicking test (equal seventh), 84 cm in the running vertical jump (equal tenth) and 25.19 seconds in the repeat sprint (equal ninth).

He also averaged 18 disposals, 4.6 marks and 1 goal per game throughout the national championships for Northern Territory.

Welcome to the club, Dom! :thumbsu:

Club Profile

Demonwiki

Welcome lad!! Just reward for hard work.

Not too many combine attendees put together such high calibre performance in all facets of testing. He'll go allright i reckon..

Went to St Pats and saw a bit of Dom. Is an exciting player, fast and solid skills. Is as outside as they come and defiantly wont go for the hard ball, but it's not like that a big deal for his position. In the biggest game St Pats played this year, the herald sun shield final, I had him third best on behind Nick Rippon and Jake Neade, played a rippa game.

Really small, needs to put on 10-15kg. Was a boarder with Taggert and McDonald so he should have no problem fitting in. If he was in the draft I'd rate him between 50-70. Reminds me of a smaller version of Andrew Embley, a true wingman/hff.

Hopefully he has a good career at Melbourne :thumbsu:

MFC: Pre-season update: Grimes to Tapscott

33. Dominic Barry
Like our other first-year players, Dom has been eased into the program. Due to his light frame, he needs to put on some kilograms, but having said that, we’ve been really impressed with what we’ve seen already. He has been a smooth-mover in the training sessions.

– Brian Royal

For the record, Dom Barry is 67kg's according to Mark Neeld.

Thought that might interest some... especially Trav 20 ;)

Yeah, I know he's said that, but the club website, as well as AFL.Com have him listed at 78 kg.

Whatever he is, he'll get stronger and is a very exciting talent. My only query will be how he physically competes against men, and that is more a mindset than a physical issue.

Yeah, I know he's said that, but the club website, as well as AFL.Com have him listed at 78 kg.

Whatever he is, he'll get stronger and is a very exciting talent. My only query will be how he physically competes against men, and that is more a mindset than a physical issue.

I agree - for the record I think the club website would have just taken the AFL websites listing until they update all the players.

He's certainly very light - not that it matters too much, Neeld wouldn't have specifically asked for him over a highly rated player like Jed Anderson (also a GWS zone trade) if he thought he was soft.

The Age: Dom's brave new world
DOM Barry understands exactly how hard it can be to move between worlds, to leave the middle of the country for any city and be expected to somehow cope. To live unstructured days in one life, and the opposite in the other. To speak two or three languages, and be different things to different groups of people. He knows because he wasn't able to do it. Not at his first try, anyway.

Barry grew up in Alice Springs, so last week's indigenous camp took the Melbourne recruit home. But every second week he and his family would drive five hours to Fregon, the central desert community where his mother grew up and where most of her family still lives. Since then he has lived in the Melbourne suburbs, as a 14-year-old on a tennis scholarship who felt alone, and wanted to go home. He's been to boarding school in Ballarat, started playing football and become much happier there. Both experiences meant that when he arrived at Melbourne last October, he felt comfortable, relaxed and ready to give it a go.
Another great piece from Emma Quayle. Looks like he's comfortable in Melbourne now, too.

A year down the track, what are the expectations for this guy? I think he was given a contract extension to 2016 so the club must see some potential, but what do we realistically hope to see from him in 2015?

A year down the track, what are the expectations for this guy? I think he was given a contract extension to 2016 so the club must see some potential, but what do we realistically hope to see from him in 2015?
Hopefully adds a few kilos and can play on a wing/flank. Has some pace and polished skills which we really need but too skinny at the moment to be fully effective. If he can get 10 games next year he'll have done well I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back