Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also if the FL want North to consider relocating, they might deny them PPs to "encourage" them.

Tasmania do not want a relocated team. We do not want to relocate. I think the AFL really liked James Brayshaw's plan to play 8 games in Tasmania, guaranteed games in Melbourne and have a Collingwood-like number of games interstate. It would have been able to take the economic base that exists and enhance it with whatever Tasmania has to offer. From a pure numbers perspective it looks like a great idea but footy isn't just about balance sheets.

AFL has been proactively helping to establish supporter base growth, they acquired Docklands prematurely, if they wanted to push us in the direction of soft-forcing of relocation they wouldn't have done the things they do with us behind the scenes.

At the end of the day, the AFL should just allocate all the broadcasting revenue to the clubs (approximately 50% of the AFL's revenue), they can fund the rest from the other sources of revenue. If clubs can't survive off that then they can pack it up or make other alternatives themselves. An 18th split of the existing broadcasting rights would be more than $23m a year per club, it would be significantly more than what clubs get from the AFL. They retain too much of the money.

Tasmania do not want a relocated team. We do not want to relocate. I think the AFL really liked James Brayshaw's plan to play 8 games in Tasmania, guaranteed games in Melbourne and have a Collingwood-like number of games interstate. It would have been able to take the economic base that exists and enhance it with whatever Tasmania has to offer. From a pure numbers perspective it looks like a great idea but footy isn't just about balance sheets.

AFL has been proactively helping to establish supporter base growth, they acquired Docklands prematurely, if they wanted to push us in the direction of soft-forcing of relocation they wouldn't have done the things they do with us behind the scenes.

At the end of the day, the AFL should just allocate all the broadcasting revenue to the clubs (approximately 50% of the AFL's revenue), they can fund the rest from the other sources of revenue. If clubs can't survive off that then they can pack it up or make other alternatives themselves. An 18th split of the existing broadcasting rights would be more than $23m a year per club, it would be significantly more than what clubs get from the AFL. They retain too much of the money.
with all the respect in the world.

North should be offered a position in the new VFL and the AFL licence moved to Tasmania.

There is no real argument to keep North in the competition outside Vic feel good bias.

What I’m more worried about is the potential for Essendon to get a band 1 comp pick if Zach Merrett leaves.

In all of our last 3 drafts our top 10 pick has been pushed back due to priority or compensation picks or players being nga/academy tied and it’s really starting to peeve me. It’s already hard to rebuild. The top 10 should not be so compromised
Say Crows finish 13th. North, Essendon, GWS below us somewhere.
North priority pick
Essendon Merrett pick
GWS Kelly pick
Collingwood Daicos pick.

Suddenly our pick 6 for being crap is 10.

with all the respect in the world.

North should be offered a position in the new VFL and the AFL licence moved to Tasmania.

There is no real argument to keep North in the competition outside Vic feel good bias.

That isn't how things work though. I think if you would make a national competition from scratch it would look very different to what exists now. The AFL has no power to take away AFL licenses. The way clubs and the AFL exist is a bit precarious because they are different legal entities, while a lot of what the AFL does is a restraint on trade, all the different parties understand that it is with co-operation that we come out with the best outcome for all parties involved. That would change significantly if you would threaten the existence of various clubs.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, just want to highlight that the AFL hasn't been actively or passively working against us, they will make it lucrative for someone to consider relocating, but they have made it pretty clear that it has to be willing arrangement from all parties. With Tasmania saying they don't want a relocated team, it is all pretty moot about what the AFL would desire most.

That isn't how things work though. I think if you would make a national competition from scratch it would look very different to what exists now. The AFL has no power to take away AFL licenses. The way clubs and the AFL exist is a bit precarious because they are different legal entities, while a lot of what the AFL does is a restraint on trade, all the different parties understand that it is with co-operation that we come out with the best outcome for all parties involved. That would change significantly if you would threaten the existence of various clubs.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread, just want to highlight that the AFL hasn't been actively or passively working against us, they will make it lucrative for someone to consider relocating, but they have made it pretty clear that it has to be willing arrangement from all parties. With Tasmania saying they don't want a relocated team, it is all pretty moot about what the AFL would desire most.
Thats the problem, the best thing for the AFL is to cut of North and probably 1 more team in Melbourne - they just don't have the fortitude for the fight.

I reckon the AFL saw what happened with the Rabbitohs and are trying to do what looks like the right thing, that is the only reason I can see we still have North (and to be fair, the Saints).

North in the AFL is a complete detriment to the competition and a Tasmainan push - obviously completely my opinion and I have nothing but admiration for the supporters.

Thats the problem, the best thing for the AFL is to cut of North and probably 1 more team in Melbourne - they just don't have the fortitude for the fight.

In a perfect world there would be 4 teams in Melbourne, but that isn't our reality.

I reckon the AFL saw what happened with the Rabbitohs and are trying to do what looks like the right thing, that is the only reason I can see we still have North (and to be fair, the Saints).

I am not sure how the NRL works structurally. in corporate terms, AFL license holders are the shareholders, the AFL Commission is the CEO that runs the organisation. CEOs can't get rid of shareholders and the AFL is appointed to look after the game in general, but the interests of the stakeholders. Everyone on the commission is basically put there by an AFL club, it really isn't what people make it out to be.

All AFL presidents pressured the AFL to buy out Docklands prematurely, including Adelaide, West Coast and other clubs that you would think would want to weaken the Victorian base. However, the clubs that are doing well understand the status quo being what it is allows them to have the current position and for any organisation certainty is far more ideallic than uncertainty.

We are constrained by cricket, we can't really extend the season, we can't play a lot more games than we do, the only real growth is laterally, to increase the number of teams and have a greater volume of games. A large bulk of the money comes from advertising, so much so Adelaide pushes it's case for greater access to games being broadcast into Melbourne because what you can demand from corporate sponsors and advertisers depends greatly on what kind of market share you have and how valuable that is by comparison to other forms of advertising.

North in the AFL is a complete detriment to the competition and a Tasmainan push - obviously completely my opinion and I have nothing but admiration for the supporters.

It is an overly simplistic view of things. This isn't the view of anyone at any club who is well aware how the financial mechanics work, including your own club.

I do not think we, or Hawthorn for that matter, are in the way of Tasmania. I don't think we help either way but we weren't asked to come play in Tasmania to help them get their own team.

Brown has a degenerative knee problem and he has played zero games for Melbourne so far, he only recently had surgery on it so it wouldn't have helped much if he was still on our list atm. He is going to come back and play but he is going to miss a lot of footy and we had a lot of concerns about his longevity. We weren't prepared to give him a long-term contract and he flat out refused to go with a short-term contract.

I don't think anyone we let go would have provided any longer term benefit for the club; that includes Brown, Higgins and everyone else who was delisted. I think those list turnovers have been exacerbated by injuries, but that was the same issue Gold Coast had.

I don't think we need priority pick access, but I don't think Gold Coast needed them either, and they are still allowed to run a list significantly larger than everyone else, their academy access is also ludicrous, they didn't even have to bid on their academy picks. They are well ahead of us in terms of rebuild and there is no way we can bridge that gap between what they are getting unless we game the system. There should be one set of rules for everyone.
North doesn't deserve a priority pick.

North priority pick
Essendon Merrett pick
GWS Kelly pick
Collingwood Daicos pick.

I can't see North getting a priority pick this year, if anything they may get an end of first round, but would be very surprised if they were given pick 2. Another terrible season next year may be a different story.

North priority pick
Essendon Merrett pick
GWS Kelly pick
Collingwood Daicos pick.

Don't forget GC will get another PP too at the start of the 2nd round. If they continue losing, the VFL may decide to make it half way through the first round, or just before Adelaide's, whichever way is worse for us.

North doesn't deserve a priority pick.

I can't imagine Hawthorn and Essendon sitting there quietly while North get a PP. Unlike those gormless spuds Fagan and Chapman in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK so how does the AFC get their hands on Horne or is it simply unrealistic for us to get him. Given how we are going right now (and I dont believe we will continue with our current level of success) we wont finish bottom but we might finish in the bottom three. So how do we get him. Do we get Horne to say he wont move interstate like some others have gotten away with. We should be in his ear right now.

OK so how does the AFC get their hands on Horne or is it simply unrealistic for us to get him. Given how we are going right now (and I dont believe we will continue with our current level of success) we wont finish bottom but we might finish in the bottom three. So how do we get him. Do we get Horne to say he wont move interstate like some others have gotten away with. We should be in his ear right now.
even if we finished 3rd bottom with pick 3, if north want him he is theirs. The best chance we have is for some of the Vic lads to really burn it up this year to take the pick 1 conversation away from Horne

Its still early days yet.. a whole season for the draftees to play out yet..

there will be other players that emerge.. especially given none of them were seen last year... especially the Vic kids.

i’d have my momey on us holding a top 10 pick and there will be a gun mid with elite skills available regardless.. this years talent pool is meant to be deep and full of good mids..

Horne isnt the be all and end all.. and who knows, enough decent Vic kids emerge and the Vic teams may focus on those more than horne or one of the other SA talents..

Its still early days yet.. a whole season for the draftees to play out yet..

there will be other players that emerge.. especially given none of them were seen last year... especially the Vic kids.

i’d have my momey on us holding a top 10 pick and there will be a gun mid with elite skills available regardless.. this years talent pool is meant to be deep and full of good mids..

Horne isnt the be all and end all.. and who knows, enough decent Vic kids emerge and the Vic teams may focus on those more than horne or one of the other SA talents..

There are also a few other top 10 SA kids going off AFL draft central ratings, though of course, it's only April.

Horne would certainly be a cherry though.

North priority pick
Essendon Merrett pick
GWS Kelly pick
Collingwood Daicos pick.

I think you could safely rule out North getting a priority pick, especially seeing it's self-inflicted. It might occur in 2-3 years though.

Hello miscreants

we here in moderatorland (well, me) have been wondering...

we all know Jason Horne is likely to go very high, if not #1

he’s from SA (South Africa? South Australia? South Adelaide?)

we’re gonna talk about him incessantly

...how exactly do you pronounce his last name ?

Back