Society/Culture Don Burke

Remove this Banner Ad

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Did anyone see this coming?

To me this was a lot like discovering the plant from The Little Shop of Horrors*, but apparently the people-in-the-know knew about this. Here's a few questions,

1) Is there something rotten at the core of the television industry?
2) Does the television industry actively suppress these stories OR are people too afraid to come out due to the possible effects on careers?
3) Was it ok in the television industry to have behaviours similar to this, back in the day, but these are now being judged by our modern sensibilities?
4) Is this something common to the gardening industry and completely independent of television?

*That was the sad part of The Little Shop of Horrors, when Audrey dreams of going somewhere green, far from skid row, and then gets eaten by a plant

To me this was a lot like discovering the plant from The Little Shop of Horrors*, but apparently the people-in-the-know knew about this. Here's a few questions,

1) Is there something rotten at the core of the television industry?
2) Does the television industry actively suppress these stories OR are people too afraid to come out due to the possible effects on careers?
3) Was it ok in the television industry to have behaviours similar to this, back in the day, but these are now being judged by our modern sensibilities?
4) Is this something common to the gardening industry and completely independent of television?

*That was the sad part of The Little Shop of Horrors, when Audrey dreams of going somewhere green, far from skid row, and then gets eaten by a plant
Profit rules all in capitalist societies.

It has been known for at least 20-30 years that Burke was a campaigner, and why his show was cancelled when essentially a new show sprung up with the identical premise the next year.

I think most people saw this coming, i'm just surprised at the extent of it.

Not surprised, had heard bad things about him through my parents, who were unfortunate enough to have met him. Never knew he was as bad to the scale that has been revealed though.

And in an industry where gossip is the norm, keeping this under wraps for this long of a period would have been a bit of a task, which is why I asked some of the questions I did, such as, does the industry actively keep this under wraps, or was it just standard practice back then, and opening up any (similar) industry would reveal the same thing?

Profit rules all in capitalist societies.

Clearly a creep!

Cover-up and denial have been the go since Adam was a child. Particularly among the rich, famous and well connected where the power resides.

These are good points, I wonder whether a person who gets (or even wants) to a certain position of power has an associated set of traits that may lead to similar behaviour, or anyone put into a position of power X will at one stage or another use that position for personal gain and / or villainy.

It has been known for at least 20-30 years that Burke was a campaigner, and why his show was cancelled when essentially a new show sprung up with the identical premise the next year.

I think most people saw this coming, i'm just surprised at the extent of it.

Yeah, I'm a late to the party kind of person when it comes to these things, everyone else knows before I do.

I think ACA interviewing him demonstrates a point I'm trying to make, especially as the reporter pointed out stories she had heard about him. Why interview him now (an investigative journalist show amongst a host of news programs with investigative journalists) knowing that this was happening a long time ago?

And by now doing this, and demonstrating their understanding, should / would they delve into their archives of presenters for an expose, and if they do not - and we find out years later that such-and-such was in the same boat - are they deliberately covering it up?

My mother-in-law says he's a piece of s**t. She still has a personally signed letter from Donny where he calls her a wretched bitch. Of course we're all desperately searching for this letter so we can sell it to the highest bidder while this story is still hot.

Autism, lol.

This type of behaviour has been going on forever within most forms of media. A certain footy caller with Channel 7 went on a date with a friend of mine. At about 2 A.M., they ended up in the Green Room of a nightclub. It was at this point that the famous man introduced her to his ten friends who were going to play hide-the-sausage with her in that shitty little room. Remarkably, when I saw the woman the next day and she told me about her gang rape, which saw me furious and threatening all sorts, she said she had enjoyed the experience. Each to their own.

An overnight broadcaster with 3AW of some thirty years standing introduced himself to a fifteen year-old work experience girl by flopping out his membrum virile in front of her while saying, "There, what do you think of that?"

A footy journalist who worked for The Sun newspaper for forty years used to boast that, at any given time, he had at least one casual sexual partner playing in each of the twelve teams. His screening process for potential candidates consisted of examination of relevant parts in the showers after games, under the pretext of getting interviews. These encounters occurred from the 1940s up until the mid 1970s.

None of the above were ever outed.

Last edited:
This type of behaviour has been going on forever within most forms of media. A certain footy caller with Channel 7 went on a date with a friend of mine. At about 2 A.M., they ended up in the Green Room of a nightclub. It was at this point that the famous man introduced her to his ten friends who were going to play hide-the-sausage with her in that shitty little room. Remarkably, when I saw the woman the next day and she told me about her gang rape, which saw me furious and threatening all sorts, she said she had enjoyed the experience. Each to their own.
That's a very juicy story. Give us names or a picture of the caller. Can't leave us hanging like that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a very juicy story. Give us names or a picture of the caller. Can't leave us hanging like that!

From Pikiwedia.

Beginning his career in the early 1960s - after attending the Jesuit Xavier College - he started with Radio 3UL, Warragul co-ordinating horse racing and football broadcasts. He later moved to 3UZ Melbourne reporting and presenting news. In 1967 he moved to 3AK and also began with TV station Channel 9. In 1971 he moved to Seven Network Melbourne sport reporting. He commentated Australian rules football (VFL) games, tennis, boxing and several Olympic Games, including rowing events.[citation needed]

Libel laws prevent further identification.

How is rape if it is consensual? If they were adults and into it then I don't see the issue as strange as it is.

From Pikiwedia.

Beginning his career in the early 1960s - after attending the Jesuit Xavier College - he started with Radio 3UL, Warragul co-ordinating horse racing and football broadcasts. He later moved to 3UZ Melbourne reporting and presenting news. In 1967 he moved to 3AK and also began with TV station Channel 9. In 1971 he moved to Seven Network Melbourne sport reporting. He commentated Australian rules football (VFL) games, tennis, boxing and several Olympic Games, including rowing events.[citation needed]

If Adelaide was mentioned it be a 'special' person?

My mother-in-law says he's a piece of s**t. She still has a personally signed letter from Donny where he calls her a wretched bitch. Of course we're all desperately searching for this letter so we can sell it to the highest bidder while this story is still hot.

Autism, lol.

Ahhhh that ‘ribald’ sense of humour of Don’s again.

From Pikiwedia.

Highlight text, right click and search google :D

How is rape if it is consensual? If they were adults and into it then I don't see the issue as strange as it is.
Quite so. I never said it constituted rape. The man concerned's wrong was to assume the woman would be 'up for it'. Had she not been, one wonders what the outcome would have been for her.

Quite so. I never said it constituted rape. The man concerned's wrong was to assume the woman would be 'up for it'. Had she not been, one wonders what the outcome would have been for her.
You said...."she told me about her gang rape".

If it was consensual then she told you about her group sex encounter not her gang rape. You have added something to the story to paint the picture you want.

You said...."she told me about her gang rape".

If it was consensual then she told you about her group sex encounter not her gang rape. You have added something to the story to paint the picture you want.
My blue. I've been distracted by visitors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back