Don Pyke, coaching means being involved during the game

Remove this Banner Ad

All teams make changes throughout though

When we try something they respond

Clarko never lost control, maintained the impetus, but it wouldn’t be right to say that he didn’t need to dynamically respond throughout the game to keep in control

I think another good question / will Clarko roll out that gameplan regardless of who the opposition is?

We laugh at Kern a lot but would we ever have targeted Gawn like Port did? Obviously put him off his game and he’s historically smashed us.

The targetting Gawn had Voss all over it IMO. Very Brisbane Lions like from his day. You always hear the story about how Matthews used to circle a player on the whiteboard and everyone was expected to crash into them all day.

We laugh at Kern a lot but would we ever have targeted Gawn like Port did? Obviously put him off his game and he’s historically smashed us.

No, you can already lock Gawn in for 3 Brownlow and 10 coaches' votes against us. Likewise Grundy. We don't need to put in systems to shut down the opposition, we just need to back our players to respond.

It's apparent that our playing list, game plan and selection are screwed when Plan A isnt enabled.

Game plan - we all know now that a team that can apply deep defensive press, implement a strong zone and place pressure on the ball carrier will beat the Crows. Pyke has so far shown an inability to implement a game plan that can combat that. There may well be player inabilities at the heart of this and poor selection as well but has anyone seen a game when Adelaide dismantled an opposition that didn't involve the lead up-run and carry model??

Pyke needs a game plan of working into space, finding your team mate and converting within a deep press structure. The players seem to do this ok in the defense and mid but completely fall apart going into the forward 50.

Selection - we know it's dumb every time. Our contested and fleet-footed forwards are not being selected and the lead up forwards with roaming players like Knight are being selected. We are stagnant and unimaginative at selection.

Our forward line needs more Greenwood, Davis even Poholke who is good overhead. The Lynch, Walker, JJ combo only works for Plan A.

List Management - every analyst rates our list. We need to test other ruck options and forward combinations but our defense is OK (albeit losing Dude will hurt) and the mids are up there.

Come on Pyke, show us you can be a coach and win with Plan B

Last edited:
No, you can already lock Gawn in for 3 Brownlow and 10 coaches' votes against us. Likewise Grundy. We don't need to put in systems to shut down the opposition, we just need to back our players to respond.

Unfortunately as a club that has been our method for a long time - going back to the Rob Harvey days you could bet on him picking up season high stats when playing us, we just don't seem to target players. It would be an interesting research task to look at how many times opposition players got career high stats when playing AFC.

Unfortunately as a club that has been our method for a long time - going back to the Rob Harvey days you could bet on him picking up season high stats when playing us, we just don't seem to target players. It would be an interesting research task to look at how many times opposition players got career high stats when playing AFC.
We always put Knight on Selwood because we know Knight gets under his skin. We had Gibbs shut down JPK last year, just because we don't do it every week doesn't mean we don't target specific opposition players.

We don't have multiple rucks to bash Gawn around and our backup ruck couldn't do it anyway.

We did that very thing to Ryder in a showdown, though it was more about getting his focus off the game, rather than physically exhausting him like they do to Gawn.

If I remember correctly it was Knight’s who eventually got him to snap, and he was useless for the rest the game, was too focussed on being “aggressive” than playing the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did that very thing to Ryder in a showdown, though it was more about getting his focus off the game, rather than physically exhausting him like they do to Gawn.

If I remember correctly it was Knight’s who eventually got him to snap, and he was useless for the rest the game, was too focussed on being “aggressive” than playing the game.
Knight got a punch to the head for his troubles that game.

I've never understood why anyone with that mentality plays sport. If you just want to get fit, go join a gym. Play to win. Even if it's D grade indoor cricket.
I once got sent off in a game of mixed social netball :thumbsu:

We always put Knight on Selwood because we know Knight gets under his skin. We had Gibbs shut down JPK last year, just because we don't do it every week doesn't mean we don't target specific opposition players.

We don't have multiple rucks to bash Gawn around and our backup ruck couldn't do it anyway.

Yes I am probably making more of the observation that we often let players "do their thing" rather than put a heavy tag on them not the "bash" type of attention that Gawn got. And yes I realise we have tagged before but history would show that more often than not we don't - we have a line of coaches that don't seem too fazed about the heavy tag.

I've never understood why anyone with that mentality plays sport. If you just want to get fit, go join a gym. Play to win. Even if it's D grade indoor cricket.

This sort of s**t is infuriating and sends me up the wall. You choose to engage in competition, be competitive. There isn't a much sweeter feeling than beating an opponent imo. Problem is in a lot of sport, both amateur and professional, players that may be naturally skilled, or extremely fit don't feel that way at all. I get the feeling sometimes that the Crows as an organisation don't have that competitive attitude as it only comes through on gameday sometimes. It can be very easy to throw off an opponent if you have the will and I watch games and don't understand why our players aren't doing certain things that give you an edge.

edit:

Something simple like bumping someone as they take a mark, make them earn it, make them second guess going for a mark, the risk of a 50 is well worth it for the reward. I saw none of that on Saturday, should be happening at almost every contest. To make the opponent hesitate is the goal, even .5 seconds. We were the ones hesitating all game instead.

I have had no confidence in Pyke since he was appointed and my opinion has only been strengthened over his tenure. Said it many times before Don is a nice bloke but no coach. I have not liked what I have seen over Pykes tenure and if the current form from round 1 continues he will not see out the year imo. I will say that Pyke is not the total problem. The problem is the people above him that appointed him. Namely one Rob Chapman and Mark Riccuito. Both need to go along with their mates Burton, Campo and Hart for significant change to be implemented.

Last edited:
I have had no confidence in Pyke since he was appointed and my opinion has only been strengthened over his tenure. Said it many times before Don is a nice bloke but no coach. I have not liked what I have seen over Pykes tenure and if the current form from round 1 continues he will not see out the year imo.
Yep, your opinion was definitely strengthened when we made a semi-final and then grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back