Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse my intrusion, I'm here for genuine discussion not to troll.

I know this thread is a joke, but there's certainly some worrying signs from today. You guys haven't had an answer to Norths game plan. And you haven't played to the conditions at all. Where's Don Pykes plan B?

You guys are so well drilled, you know where to kick it, where to look for the handball, when to play on and when to slow it down. But North are making you guys look very predictable.

Could just be a bad day I spose, Even Hawthorn copped a few 10 goal floggings during their glory years, But this looks like the same problems from last year.

We HAVE to figure out our 1st quarters.

The other 3 quarters were s**t today, but that 1st qtr killed us and has nearly cost us a few games this year. Pyke needs to watch all 7 1st qtrs this week and find the common denominator.

The other 3 quarters were s**t today, but that 1st qtr killed us and has nearly cost us a few games this year. Pyke needs to watch all 7 1st qtrs this week and find the common denominator.

We were completely s**t all day.

All we learned is that everybody has to put in. Half the side was just poo.

I know this thread is a joke, but there's certainly some worrying signs from today. You guys haven't had an answer to Norths game plan. And you haven't played to the conditions at all. Where's Don Pykes plan B?

You guys are so well drilled, you know where to kick it, where to look for the handball, when to play on and when to slow it down. But North are making you guys look very predictable.

Could just be a bad day I spose, Even Hawthorn copped a few 10 goal floggings during their glory years, But this looks like the same problems from last year.
It is football. You don't come in with the right mental preparation then you are at the mercy of the Gods. I also note that the Kangas played a blinder. They were awesome. Put the two together and you have a blood bath. Simple.

Lol this sounds like a troll post. A game plan, no matter how good, will work if the players aren't prepared to put the effort in.

It is football. You don't come in with the right mental preparation then you are at the mercy of the Gods. I also note that the Kangas played a blinder. They were awesome. Put the two together and you have a blood bath. Simple.
Agreed.

I didn't predict this loss. I was firmly drinking the bathwater being fed to me on bigfooty and the media, but I was thinking before the game that this competition is much closer than it looks. You have an off day and the opposition has a good one and anything can happen. This game proved it emphatically. I think the team will rebound next week but I hope this board can keep the lid firmly screwed on from here on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we did start being a bit smarter in the second quarter.

I was pretty disappointed in how we did not go more defensive early in the first when it looked like North were getting away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I didn't predict this loss. I was firmly drinking the bathwater being fed to me on bigfooty and the media, but I was thinking before the game that this competition is much closer than it looks. You have an off day and the opposition has a good one and anything can happen. This game proved it emphatically. I think the team will rebound next week but I hope this board can keep the lid firmly screwed on from here on.
To be fair I only care on how the Crows respond, not this board.

I doubt subscribe to "the loss we had to have". This is not the loss we had to have. It was not a loss due to a few mistakes.....it was a whole mindset issue. You should never come to the game with the wrong mindset. It was across the team too. I want them to learn from it, but we did not need it.

Really we seem to go man on man every first quarter, and whilst this has worked against GC and Essendon, the rest it didn't.

We'd be better just saying * it and starting with a loose defender.

Technically, if our plan B was the last 3 quarters, we out scored them.

Really we seem to go man on man every first quarter, and whilst this has worked against GC and Essendon, the rest it didn't.

We'd be better just saying **** it and starting with a loose defender.

Start super defensive until Pyke can work his magic by breaking down their structures and adapt us.

Basically use the first 1/4 to work out how they are going to try and play us.

After you've checked out the Crows record in Tasmania over time come back and let us know what our record there is will you....

I think this round as a whole is proving why nothing is a certainty in football, come into a game a little off, get a little ahead of yourself and suddenly you'll be pulled back a few pegs. Also continues to prove that it's generally not until after round 8 that you have a true guide to where teams sit in the grand scheme.

Must say I was a little worried when I heard the comment that there was a few guys sore and needing to pass fitness tests pregame. We've had a massive 6 weeks performance wise, we were bound for a come down and probably needed some level of reality check.

Challenge now is to reset for Melbourne and recapture our best form.

I think we did start being a bit smarter in the second quarter.

I was pretty disappointed in how we did not go more defensive early in the first when it looked like North were getting away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If someone can get hold of the Pyke conversation on 5aa before the game he said a few interesting things. My memory is poor so I wont attempt to recreate it

I think we all at home saw early 4 goals? that North were switched on and they were using the breeze better. Now I appreciate he backs his players in but any coach will send 1 or 2 back to stem the bleeding and re-set the tempo of the game to at least equal.

The other thing was the seeming lack of direction given. The plan when it works is a chain of handballs and let players forward run into space and chase the ball down, except Thompson was there, similar to how Geelong did it last year, so what do the players do? Continue to bomb it in long, now this is either the players fault and they should be slammed ,or its a coaching direction misfire ie guys no more, look for the switch across half forward then use the wind and go long from 50/60 and not 70.

There was also a lot of poor positioning by players , a direction could have been about nominating 1 up 2 down or 2 up 1 down. Just looked bad watching North players run the ball back out.

Tex should have had a private meeting with Don at half time and had strips torn off and explained that a Captain leads with the ball and not the body.

I like Don and think he is a good coach, just felt he let today get away from him in a few areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back