Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I liked his (or Campo's?) brilliant but simple plan to free up Sloane. Forget the rough stuff from team mates, Sloane effectively tagged Fyfe until Sloane's tag had to play off him as we had a free midfielder as a result.

It also helped that we actually got contested ball unlike previous weeks. Greenwood's an important part of this, he blocks the outlet handball from a pack better than anyone.

Simple must be right, a few posters here mentioned that exact strategy.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I liked his (or Campo's?) brilliant but simple plan to free up Sloane. Forget the rough stuff from team mates, Sloane effectively tagged Fyfe until Sloane's tag had to play off him as we had a free midfielder as a result.

It also helped that we actually got contested ball unlike previous weeks. Greenwood's an important part of this, he blocks the outlet handball from a pack better than anyone.

Except its not a strategy to beat a tag. Sloane did it for the first 6 weeks. He did it vs the kangaroos. He did it vs melbourne

What changed the last 2 weeks was just how persistant the tagger was

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn't quite sure where to put this but thought it was definitely worthy of discussion (courtesy of ESPN).

upload_2017-5-29_13-20-41.png

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Except its not a strategy to beat a tag. Sloane did it for the first 6 weeks. He did it vs the kangaroos. He did it vs melbourne

I'm not sure if Blakely is a particularly good tagger or not. Like they were talking about when Freo played the Blues, he was supposed to be running with Murphy, but they ended with 30 possies each. Doesn't sound like there's much defensive work going on there.

How Sloane goes on someone like Scott Selwood instead of Blakely or Nick Roberton is a real question.

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Like to know who he "tagged" against Kangas or Demons but if he did then maybe he just did it better against Freo

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
My faith hasn't really waivered in Don, but i would hate for this week to be a carbon copy of the 2 games vs Geelong last year....

Wouldn't be a good look

Yes. This team has got to show something better than last year against Geelong. Hell Even port virtually had the game won last week.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Get rid of him, another failed rookie coach we can add to our list.

Has learnt nothing from his mistakes last season.

Craig, Sando, Walsh* and Pyke all played it far too safe with selection and tactics - obsessed with under performing experienced players.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
2 years under Craig, went into business where even morons can get lucky and make money, especially in mining during that period, Eagles board and then 2 years assistant to Simpson. There was always a chance he was more hype than substance. But I'm not entirely off him yet, but he has to do something about the influence of his proven failure assistants. I don't think it can wait till our season ends in a whimper one or 2 weeks into September.

Norwood1878

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Athelstone Raggies
Arc up Pykey! Not that he's blameless but fn hell show some mongrel in the presser.

What our defence is the best?@Janus thoughts?

Yeah.

Our defence conceded 81 points against Geelong last week.

You conceded 96.

Those are my thoughts :)

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Guy will never win a flag.

Any success he's had is the result of a talented list.
Nah he's a good minor round coach. We'll finish top 4 in the minor round.

But he won't win anything.

He's too nice and has a misguided belief in "systems". Refuses to learn from other teams' successes.

Puts too much faith in the most ordinary group of assistants you could concoct

Back