Don Pyke - Is he responsible for today?

Remove this Banner Ad

lovejugs

Debutant
Aug 11, 2002
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did Don Pyke make 1 move all day? When Adelaide started falling behind in the contested possession did he try something different? All the signs at half time were that Richmond's pressure was suffocating Adelaide, yet they seemed to simply keep playing as though, eventually, Richmond might get tired and they would kick a few goals.

I know he has been getting some plaudits for reaching a Grand Final, but I am not sure that a better coach might have actually gone 1 better. I think Don Pyke can take some of the responsibility for today. I mean they started the last quarter 6 goals down - now that means they can either take risks in the hope of getting it close so at least with, say 6-7 mins left there might only be 2-3 goals in it. Richmond could have easily crumbled had there been any scoreboard pressure. But no - nothing changed from Donald, it was as though they will be playing the next 10 grand finals and this one was all about experience. Very disappointed in Donald's efforts today.

Did Don Pyke make 1 move all day? When Adelaide started falling behind in the contested possession did he try something different? All the signs at half time were that Richmond's pressure was suffocating Adelaide, yet they seemed to simply keep playing as though, eventually, Richmond might get tired and they would kick a few goals.

I know he has been getting some plaudits for reaching a Grand Final, but I am not sure that a better coach might have actually gone 1 better. I think Don Pyke can take some of the responsibility for today. I mean they started the last quarter 6 goals down - now that means they can either take risks in the hope of getting it close so at least with, say 6-7 mins left there might only be 2-3 goals in it. Richmond could have easily crumbled had there been any scoreboard pressure. But no - nothing changed from Donald, it was as though they will be playing the next 10 grand finals and this one was all about experience. Very disappointed in Donald's efforts today.

I've just read his quote after the game:

"One of the things that's very hard from a coaching viewpoint is to provide effort. The players are responsible for effort."

What is he talking about? As a coach you are responsible for ideas and tactics. Some effort should go into having a Plan B. Some effort could go into motivating the players at half time to make them believe they can still win. When coaching he looks completely lacking in energy or passion. Perhaps that is a good thing, but on the biggest stage surely he can look interested in what is happening.

I've just read his quote after the game:

"One of the things that's very hard from a coaching viewpoint is to provide effort. The players are responsible for effort."

What is he talking about? As a coach you are responsible for ideas and tactics. Some effort should go into having a Plan B. Some effort could go into motivating the players at half time to make them believe they can still win. When coaching he looks completely lacking in energy or passion. Perhaps that is a good thing, but on the biggest stage surely he can look interested in what is happening.
He was talking about contested ball. He can move players around and change structures but he can't force the players to attack the ball from the coaches box. Once the game started the players couldn't keep up with Richmond in that area. I agree with him and the blame lies more with the players for this performance.

Don't blame Pyke. This game was a carbon copy of the Tigers last 2 finals games. I knew if we were in it at half time the game was ours.

Dont blame Don, congratulate the Tigers pressure. It took them all the way!

I think the last 2 GFs prove how little coaching, strategy and personel really mean.

Manic pressure from a team with their head switched on will beat a 'better' opponent.

Tigers were never gonna win if they didnt apply pressure all day.

Don't blame Pyke. This game was a carbon copy of the Tigers last 2 finals games. I knew if we were in it at half time the game was ours.

Dont blame Don, congratulate the Tigers pressure. It took them all the way!

But this is exactly why you have to question Pyke. It went exactly like our last two finals, so he should have been ready.

Still, he's a young coach and he'll learn and get better

But this is exactly why you have to question Pyke. It went exactly like our last two finals, so he should have been ready.

Still, he's a young coach and he'll learn and get better
I dont think you do your team or Hardwicke justice if you rubbish the opposition. All it really does is cheapen your win. You rose above them, be happy.

I dont think you do your team or Hardwicke justice if you rubbish the opposition. All it really does is cheapen your win. You rose above them, be happy.

Especially when their coach was being tutored by Clarkson during the finals campaign................. hypocritical to talk down Pyke when Richmond didn't even pay clarko for his advice.

It goes both ways, though.

Adelaide had a game plan and a group of players that saw them finish top of the ladder and sail through two finals. Do you throw all that away just because you're down at half-time, or do you back in the players and the process that have got you this far?

If Pyke had radically changed things and still lost by 10 goals, people would probably be bagging him out for not supporting his players.

It's possible to say that we and Hardwick did well, and Pyke didn't.

Im not intending to rubbish him, everyone has off days and unfortunately some are on the big stage.

He appeared to think the crows plan A trumped our plan A. It didn't and he didn't have a suitable plan B. I'm sure he will next season

Especially when their coach was being tutored by Clarkson during the finals campaign................. hypocritical to talk down Pyke when Richmond didn't even pay clarko for his advice.

Sorry but this sounds like the biggest load of s**t. Hardwick and Clarko chatted because they're old mates since 04. There wasn't tutoring - what on earth are you basing this on?

Keep an eye on Dimma: Neil Balme
Senior coach: Damien Hardwick
Head of Coaching and Football Performance: Tim Livingstone
Assistant coach, forwards: Justin Leppitsch
Assistant coach, midfield spread and ball movement: Blake Caracella
Assistant coach, midfield stoppage: Andrew McQualter
Assistant coach, backline: Ben Rutten
VFL and development coach (forwards): Craig McRae
Development coach and VFL midfield: Xavier Clarke
Development coach and VFL backline: Ryan Ferguson

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's possible to say that we and Hardwick did well, and Pyke didn't.

Im not intending to rubbish him, everyone has off days and unfortunately some are on the big stage.

He appeared to think the crows plan A trumped our plan A. It didn't and he didn't have a suitable plan B. I'm sure he will next season
Fair enough
It's a BF thing to leap from one extreme to the other, I may have overreacted. I think Pyke has played the long game well since he has been coach. Winning the flag is hard, and good teams well coached miss sometimes.
This year belongs to the Tigers and Hardwicke no doubt.

When you have been the best side all year, you back your systems. Just throwing names around a board won't necessarily change things, you still need effort and buy in. To many changes can look like panic, which really kills a team.

Adelaide's leaders failed to fire, their forward line was ineffectual, they didn't hand the pressure.

Especially when their coach was being tutored by Clarkson during the finals campaign.................

Is this actually a thing?

Crows fans are laying blame at the feet of a mentor/protégé relationship?

Suck it up.

Nope. There wasn't any real structural flaws with their game plan, the players just got out gunned by the desperation of the Tigers. If you look at a fairly similar game of the Cats v Swans a few weeks ago, the Cats relentless pressure forced the Swans players to almost universally have a nightmare. The difference however was that Longmire did nothing to stop Geelong's spare man in defence the whole match and it killed us every damn time.

Fair enough
It's a BF thing to leap from one extreme to the other, I may have overreacted. I think Pyke has played the long game well since he has been coach. Winning the flag is hard, and good teams well coached miss sometimes.
This year belongs to the Tigers and Hardwicke no doubt.

Yeah I can see why you'd think I'd jump straight to potting him, as that's the Bf way. But if Hardwick has thought me anything, you can learn from your failures and get even better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back