Universal Love Don Pyke-On The Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

More than that surely? 55 entries for 32 scoring shots?
40% of scoring entries were goals was what was reported, seems about right, we kicked 22 odd didn't we? Pretty decent but Port are bottom 6 material so can't really judge last week.

The other interesting stat was our 10.2 scored directly from D50 transition - the highest for any side since 2007.

The Don's response was to say hmmm well we don't want to be relying on that each week, means we're giving up too many I50, we need to get more balance.

I imagine that's part truth and part foxing.

Typically any side would like a best case scenario of winning the centre clearance and scoring without giving up any territory. But there has to be a plan B because that won't happen all game.

We are deploying significant resources to the D50 area and playing the game there, drawing the opposition zone further up the ground. Leaves a very open F50. Relies on team defence winning the ball, and quality distribution to move it fast.

Main distribution lanes appear to be Seed who works back on the right, Rat who works back on the left and Smith (sometimes Sloane) through a more central area.

The other interesting stat was our 10.2 scored directly from D50 transition - the highest for any side since 2007.

The Don's response was to say hmmm well we don't want to be relying on that each week, means we're giving up too many I50, we need to get more balance.

Typically any side would like a best case scenario of winning the centre clearance and scoring without giving up any territory. But there has to be a plan B because that won't happen all game.

We are deploying significant resources to the D50 area and playing the game there, drawing the opposition zone further up the ground. Leaves a very open F50. Relies on team defence winning the ball, and quality distribution to move it fast.

Main distribution lanes appear to be Seed who works back on the right, Rat who works back on the left and Smith (sometimes Sloane) through a more central area.

I agree. If that is our game plan he should be pretending that it isn't in the media. Makes all those close door sessions make sense too.

We're definateley kicking to position, the bulldogs run and carry.

Bulldogs play a style to attract members so they can pay more of their bills than we pay for them. Thats why they fell short in finals last year..

A few stats comparing us to Western Bulldogs:

Clearances: 2nd (Dogs 14th)
Centre Clearances: 2nd (Dogs equal last)
Stoppages: 4th (Dogs 10th)
Rebound 50: 1st (Dogs 18th - Last!)
Inside 50: 6th (Dogs 4th)
Goal Accuracy: 1st (Dogs 15th)
Scoring shots as a percentage of I50 entries: 6th (Dogs 10th)

Inside 50s: 112 (Dogs 115)
Conceded Inside 50s: 126 (Dogs 73!)

The bulldogs don't win the clearances. They only get it in their forward 50 a few more times. Their accuracy for goal isn't great. But what they do have is a half-back line that the ball doesn't get past.

We both play fast but I think we have a chance of beating them. The key will be to keep our team defence solid, to keep winning the contests, and then to slice through the middle of the ground and then through their half-back line.

A few stats comparing us to Western Bulldogs:

Clearances: 2nd (Dogs 14th)
Centre Clearances: 2nd (Dogs equal last)
Stoppages: 4th (Dogs 10th)
Rebound 50: 1st (Dogs 18th - Last!)
Inside 50: 6th (Dogs 4th)
Goal Accuracy: 1st (Dogs 15th)
Scoring shots as a percentage of I50 entries: 6th (Dogs 10th)

Inside 50s: 112 (Dogs 115)
Conceded Inside 50s: 126 (Dogs 73!)

The bulldogs don't win the clearances. They only get it in their forward 50 a few more times. Their accuracy for goal isn't great. But what they do have is a half-back line that the ball doesn't get past.

We both play fast but I think we have a chance of beating them. The key will be to keep our team defence solid, to keep winning the contests, and then to slice through the middle of the ground and then through their half-back line.
Revisit these stats in round 6. They've almost had 500 possessions both games so far! That won't continue and will trend back down as they play better teams. Currently they they play a high press and lock the ball into the forward half of the ground and create repeat F50 entries. Where as our press is deeper and locks it in the back 3rd where we win possession and use more available space on the ground which at this stage appears to be more efficient (hence high goal accuracy).

I was thinking along similar lines. If you are going to kick over a zone, the easiest time to do it is when the opposition has bunched up into your defensive half. The 2014 port style game play that a few teams have adopted means that when teams get the ball, their entire team runs forward to keep the ball in the area. Letting them bunch up and kicking it over the top of them opens up our forward 50 like we saw against Port. But it is a huge gamble to allow the opposition to enter their forward 50 hoping to create a turnover in our back 50. I wonder if we are somehow letting them get to a position where their only option is to bomb it in long.

I was thinking along similar lines. If you are going to kick over a zone, the easiest time to do it is when the opposition has bunched up into your defensive half. The 2014 port style game play that a few teams have adopted means that when teams get the ball, their entire team runs forward to keep the ball in the area. Letting them bunch up and kicking it over the top of them opens up our forward 50 like we saw against Port. But it is a huge gamble to allow the opposition to enter their forward 50 hoping to create a turnover in our back 50. I wonder if we are somehow letting them get to a position where their only option is to bomb it in long.
I remember someone commenting post the NM game that in our defensive 50 our guys were guarding the corridor heavily thereby either forcing a wide F50 entry and therefore a difficult shot at goal or a bomb in hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure the Swans employed a similar game plan for many years allowing the opposition lots of F50 entries and then getting them on the rebound? Interestingly we have a far better forward line than they had at the time.

Anyone?

What was the graphic on pressure or D50 scores, i forget?

I remember Dogs and Port were top of the graphic and Adelaide were last.
Kingy didn't go back to this, apart from the most scores from D50 since 2008

I'm not sure the plan would be to allow the entries per se. The no1 preference would always be not concede territory at all.

However where we do lose stoppage or turn the ball over, this seems to be how and where we choose to fight the battle

We appear to be playing a similar style to the Dogs. Play the game in or around the D50, win it, and set up from there to an open forward zone.

Common theme with both sides that the D50 area has the elite ball users and decision makers to rocket the ball forward quickly and accurately or at worst maintain possession.
Ideally though you win it out of the midfield and push forward from that. Important to be able to do it from the back lines too, but first priority should always be winning it out of the centre.

Ideally though you win it out of the midfield and push forward from that. Important to be able to do it from the back lines too, but first priority should always be winning it out of the centre.
Of course no doubt. I think I tidied that up in subsequent posts

Just watched the replay.

Don may not be as charismatic as walshy, but he is still great to listen to. Very cluey guy who not only understands the game, but understands people & clear vision needed for what he thinks is needed to be done to lead to success.
Did you record it, or did you find it online somewhere?

Don mentioned winning the ball out of the middle is preferable.

The way i read Pykey is his external demeanor is all professional. He knows what he's saying and gives external sources enough to drip feed them without giving too much away. His grasp of language and explanation of footy is impressive. He gave the Couch crew enough to explain but diverted the details, very shrewd man our Pykey.
When i watched the GM videos you can tell he has a different demeanor with the players, jovial and joking. He's similar to Phil in that he detests singling out individuals.
I rate him. We will have success with him and hope he stays long term. Malcolm Blight v2

Last edited:
I just signed up for Telstra cable and they gave me 3 months of free Foxtel even though I don't really want it. I'm guessing this is some kind of scam where they hope I will forget about it and it will automatically start renewing.

You do want foxtel, you dont want to pay for it, lets be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back