Don Pyke quits. Or did he?

So crazy how a few years ago Adelaide were considered a model AFL club. Well run, never bottomed out, maybe the best development in the comp. Things have certainly changed.
The AFL threw the house to take David noble from us and get him to Brisbane’s in the 2016/17 offseason
That was the turning point.
Results now show he might just about be the best in the business.
And look at his replacement in adelaide. Brett ‘birdbrain’ burton.
All downhill since.

People say Richmond destroyed the club? I say the afl did it 12 months earlier. We just still had the team he set up in 2017....

Hopefully the crows get Truck and stick it up Dan Richardson's jumper
He’s done well, but the fans won’t accept it.
We’re trying to rid ourselves of the boys club stigma.

Unfortunately there’s nobody we’d want. Wouldn’t be shocked if we’d tried to poach a big name coach.

He’s done well, but the fans won’t accept it.
We’re trying to rid ourselves of the boys club stigma.

Unfortunately there’s nobody we’d want. Wouldn’t be shocked if we’d tried to poach a big name coach.

Just as well the fans have no say in it all then

giphy.gif
Surely

Pyke would be last on that list but the lot have to go
I agree
My ideal offseason was
1. Sack burton
2. Bring back noble (could we still manage it?)
3. Sack hart
4. Sack camporeale
5. Bring back Teague and tell him it’s his if pyke can’t deliver next year (stupid Carlton ruining that)
6. Move Clarke to sole women’s coach
7. Bring Jacobs in as ruck coach (who else is there? But gws is looking at him....)
8. Push ricciuto out
9. Make pyke know loud and clear. Deliver in 2020 or you’re sacked (next minute.... he takes Fremantle job and we give Teague the coaching gig. But Alas. Carlton beat us there)

Elaborate effort to get Eddie to stay
Eddies past it
I’d personally be giving him the Scott Thompson role before him.
You’re staying in the side for depth. But you’re playing sanfl. And you’ll only play AFL under the circumstance of ‘break glass in case of emergency’
Then once we can no longer have matty Wright in sanfl team. Make eddie the sanfl captain in 2021-22

blackus

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If you think the AFC supporter base will be satisfied with just Pyke going and nothing else, then you greatly underestimate the festering anger of the AFC supporter base.

They want all of whom you mentioned broomed out, plus a few more!
I hope so mate, i reckon there are a fair few players as well? Some guys have a very large over estimation of their self worth - like Jenkins. His petluance after being dropped - he should be the first to be delisted for that effort.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Strange timing considering the review is still a way off being completed
And due to other events, nothing would have happened this week

Get the feeling it was almost mutually agreed. Wouldn't surprise if Freo were looking at Pyke

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You'd assume Pyke did enough good work in those first couple of seasons to get a second chance somewhere relatively soon.

61% winning record, fourth best of the current coaches and only fractionally behind Clarkson.

YearCoachLadderAvg AgeAge RankDiff
2013Sanderson11th24.4314th+3
2014Sanderson10th24.9611th+1
2015Walsh/Camporeale6th24.7611th+5
2016Pyke6th25.1410th+4
2017Pyke2nd25.365th+3
2018Pyke12th25.902nd-10
2019Pyke11th26.432nd-9

A coach might survive one bad year in the window, but not two.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Best example of tail wagging the dog since Collingwood players (led by Peter Moore) tanked for 5 weeks at the start of 1982 to get legend Tommy Hafey sacked (because he trained them ‘too hard’). 5-time premiership coach Tommy had just taken them from wooden spooners in 1976 into finalists five years running, inches away from a premiership in 1977 and 1979 with a vastly inferior list compared to the eventual premiers, and grand finalists 3 years running.

From memory the ‘leaders’ at St Kilda were also instrumental in the club moving on Stan Alves, soon after playing off in 1997 GF.

It seems to be the case that any coach that makes the mistake of saying a few home truths is in the firing line.

Diverbelow

Senior List
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Get the feeling it was almost mutually agreed. Wouldn't surprise if Freo were looking at Pyke
Please no Pyke at Freo. He is another McKenna, Worsfold style. Good players but crap coaches

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

The worry is that the club really struggled to attract assistant coaches last year and we ended up with Godden and Mattner both from SANFL clubs at the last minute (I really rate Mattner) - so if the culture is viewed rightly or wrongly outside as toxic, it might be a real struggle to attract a head coach we want and we might have to settle for second best. That in itself is a depressing thought. I suppose once the review is complete, lets see how many back of house personnel are asked to finish up as there are some there now that I think would put off any prospective coach or at the least sound huge warning bells

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
******* bulls**t. Adelaide can get rid of their coach who got them to a GF yet we can't get rid of our s**t truck who hasn't even won a ******* final in 5 years.

fu** me

Hahaha

Was like the Saints and Richo until this season

Back