Coach Don Pyke - where is the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

No finals and you’d think he would be in trouble. That’s a bad loss yesterday. It really is. Carlton have improved but you shouldn’t be losing to them when you’re in the 8.

Walker, Gibbs, Betts, Jenkins, McKay, Otten, Hartigan. You’ve got to wonder why certain players are continually preferred. Might be time to bring in some kids. Fogarty not sighted all year?

Huge boys club mentality with Ricciuto running the joint. Pyke will be up there with Goodwin as under some serious pressure early on next year if he isn’t gone at year end.

The irony of calling the thread stupid.
FFS what a stupid thread.

Look crows stance Bull**** aside, he has been a good coach in the last 4 years.

2016: Finals, could of been top 4 or possibly top 2 had they beaten west coast in the last round.
2017: Made grand final finishing top with 15 wins.
2018: missed out on top 8 but got 12 wins. Should of acttualy made finals. lost a couple of close games and Freo was one of them as I remembered that game well.

Its 2019 they are in the 8 with 8 wins and 7 defeats.

They have the suns away, Bombers at home, Carlton away, saints home. I see them winning all 4 and they should.

that leaves them with 12 wins with 2 rounds to go and they have Collingwood at home and dogs away to end the season. Finals is likely

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I always analyse Carlton coaching performances and never cared to look at another team's, but this was so obviously poor coached, I cannot believe anyone at board level would trust him moving forward.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They've lost Lever and Cameron from the 2017 GF and that's about it. That team wasn't that old but the cliff has come fast. Now have a bunch of guys late 20s and early 30s but don't look threatening. Not a good place to be in. Not sure what is going to spark them back into form.

I still marvel at Adelaide for picking up Brett Burton and his hatchet man Matthew Haas.

Those 2 incompetent pricks ran our performance/medical department into the ground, and straight after Greg Swann rightly canned their arses, not only does Adelaide hire Burton, but making him the ******* Football Manager?!

There is no hope for your team when it's being run like a boy club.

Yep. We're completely screwed.

Ricciuto has a lot to answer for.

Do Adelaide have a squad capable of challenging in 2020?

Still have some talent but Betts, Jenkins, Gibbs, Jacobs aren't going to lead them back to the top of the ladder. Walker and Sloane are both 29 this year.

Pffft no ******* chance. Hopefully they recognise this and fully commit to a rebuild. Of course they're going to half ass it.

I would say pressure cooker ratings are:

1. Hinkley - most pressure. If he misses finals he is in serious trouble.
2. Lyon - under pressure in the next 12 months...
3. Pyke - safe for now but needs to perform in 2020.
4. Goodwin - safe for now but needs to perform in 2020
5. Woosha - safe for now but Bombers fans can turn feral very fast.

Last edited:
GettyImages-851522614.jpg
Guy on the far right doesn't look committed enough to the power stance. Soft effort. If I was Pyke I would have dropped him for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still have some talent but Betts, Jenkins, Gibbs, Jacobs aren't going to lead them back to the top of the ladder. Walker and Sloane are both 29 this year.
If they gambled for a superstar, e.g. Grundy and got Doedee back they could be in the mix for one last push for a flag.

More likely they go rebuild mode and start investing games in the kids.

Roo is part of the problem. Hired his old mates Hart (who got booted from Collingwood) and Burton (booted from Brisbane) who have gone a long way into the demise. Burton was the mastermind who hired Collective Minds and Hart has turned our forward line which was one of the most dangerous 2 years ago into one of the worst. Throw in Campo and it's a s**tshow of assistants. The whole club needs a clean-out.

I reckon your spot on there to many close mates at the club.Roo needs to go bring fresh faces .No one is bigger then the club.Pyke should be gone after the season for me 2 years in row bizarre decisions and recruiting and seems like a player disconnect.

They look slower than my grandmother thru the midfield. Need to add some pace.

And yeah, I think Pyke is in trouble.

Guy on the far right doesn't look committed enough to the power stance. Soft effort. If I was Pyke I would have dropped him for that.
I cringe every time I see the power stance... and they're not even my club.

Adelaide have a heap of rusted-on assistants who have been there dating back to the days of Neil Craig. Pyke may indeed need to be sacked for the club to move forward but there are a slew of coaches who should be ahead of him in the queue. It doesn't make any sense for the senior coaching role to be a game of musical chairs while we allow mediocre assistants, who have achieved nothing over a long period of time, permanent jobs.

It's obvious that Adelaide needs a pretty massive external review but the board of directors is not member elected. As such, it's a massive boys club and there is no way for members to hold anybody accountable. The only power fans really wield over the club is their patronage. You might see changes at the club if attendances suddenly took a nose dive but our fans have been remarkably loyal over the journey.

They look slower than my grandmother thru the midfield. Need to add some pace.

And yeah, I think Pyke is in trouble.

I agree, but I also support West Coast.

In 2017 we had Matt Priddis (31) and Sam Mitchell (35) in our midfield. Two slow players at their slowest. To go with Dom Sheed, Jack Redden, Chris Masten and Andrew Gaff who aren't renowned for their explosive pace. Priddis and Mitchell retired, we were supposed to finish last (hai Wallsy) and won the flag. A lot can change in a short space of time. Sheed has gone from a guy getting high teens/low 20s possessions and going in and out of the side to getting 28 touches a game and being one of our best mids. He's no quicker than he was 2 years ago.

I think Adelaide have a similar problem to what we used to have in that they can win the ball just fine but their spread and forward half movement is poor. If they had another Tom Lynch and someone like Jamie Cripps who is busy but not spectacular I think their midfield would look better.

Did anyone hear what Ricciutto had to say on Adelaide radio this morning because i missed it. Apparently he was going to explain what’s going on.

He has all the power in the world, he has the pubs, the players invested in his businesses, he has himself on Adelaide mainstream media, the supporters and club are at his mercy, he can do as he sees fit and justify his actions any way he likes.
He needs to go if they are to move efen one step forward

I swear Adelaide fans talk their own club down more than opposition fans.

I agree some changes are needed though.

We have never done a rebuild and have never bottomed out as a club. There is no appetite for that amongst the board members and never has been.
This is why we are around or in the 8 consistently, but rarely threaten. The pressure is building for this to finally happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back