Don Scott says Hawks cheated salary cap - 4x premierships tainted

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I don’t.

Share with the young’ uns

Everyone was doing it

There was an amnesty

If you came forward you were allowed to be over your cap for the next 2-3 years to give you time to get back under

So some clubs admitted to more breaches than had actually happened to gain the benefit of being allowed to be over the cap

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok obviously we don’t want to believe Hawthorn have ever done something wrong, but do we have to blindly defend the club at all times? If we did cheat the system, then own up to it. It’s what we would expect from any other club.

Ok obviously we don’t want to believe Hawthorn have ever done something wrong, but do we have to blindly defend the club at all times? If we did cheat the system, then own up to it. It’s what we would expect from any other club.
We did, everyone did.
There was an amnesty, Blue and Bombers kept going after the Amnesty and were warned to stop

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
No like we almost definitely were... Like Essendon and Carlton... and just about every other club. This is widely accepted.

This is the biggest non issue for anyone who looks in to footy in that time frame. 'Hawks cheating the salary cap' sure makes a good headline and gives old mate Don another chance to have a dig at the Hawks.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
From past experiences, whenever I see the words "Don Scott says .....", I go and wash the dishes. Attends the John Kennedy Sr funeral, and then tips mud all over the club in tribute. Very ordinary human being is Don Scott. Shouldn't he be out in the street campaigning for BLM or something?

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
Interesting that a poster disliked my post.

if you have more loyalty to D Scott than to your club you don’t belong on this board.

you know who you are

Your comment about a three time premiership player who captained two of them and ruckman in our Team of the Century paints you as someone who would rather be cheering for the Melbourne Hawks.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From past experiences, whenever I see the words "Don Scott says .....", I go and wash the dishes. Attends the John Kennedy Sr funeral, and then tips mud all over the club in tribute. Very ordinary human being is Don Scott. Shouldn't he be out in the street campaigning for BLM or something?

Little wonder Lethal didn’t want to be mates!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don did help save the club.

But he has been an 'extreme' individual since a young age (and by that I don't mean he goes snowboarding and says "Gnarly!" a lot)

He would be a very difficult person to know.

Your comment about a three time premiership player who captained two of them and ruckman in our Team of the Century paints you as someone who would rather be cheering for the Melbourne Hawks.

How far does that gratitude go? It's not limitless, we can't just refuse to criticise a bloke forever off the basis of what he's done previously.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I wish I could recall the events of the day, but I recall in the early 1990s the AFL stepping in and warning clubs about under the table payments. Things like the Hawks offering Darren Jarman's wife employment as part of the package. Funny thing about that one is Fud's missus was the brains of the partnership and a valued staff member. I recall clubs putting a stop to the practice but there was some kind of suspicion that Carlton were still doing it, even up to some special deal with Chris Judd later on which was very suspicious. Some deal with Richard Pratt's packing company. Essendon as well were under suspicion.

However, as some people have said, yes we were guilty of it, as were many other clubs at the time. It doesn't make those flags "tainted" as every other club had the same opportunities as Hawthorn. I cannot recall the terms of the amnesty, but I do recall in the mid 1990s a directive from the AFL warning clubs against these practices in future.

There really is nothing to see here, and Don Scott has once again placed self interests ahead of the club. It's the last straw for me with Scott.

And before anyone dares to bring up anything about him saving the club in the anti-merger, this is the greatest load of crap of all time. That initiative was masterminded by Ian Dicker who cleverly used former greats Scott and Brereton as spokespeople. It continues to annoy me that people think it was Scott's idea. How do I know? I am related to Ian Dicker, that's how I know. If people only knew how much money was poured into the club by Dicker around that time they'd be embarrassed to think Scott had anything to do with it.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Doubt he would be on the streets doing that given his views about Winmar AH...........................

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sorry to intrude on your board and comment on this sensitive issue, but didn't Don Scott have a massive falling out with Jeff Kennett and other board members several years ago (I think something to do with not winning a seat on the HFC board) and I am led to believe he has had a bitter grudge against the HFC ever since.

Even if this rumour is true (which I don't believe for a second), it's a very shitty thing by a club great in Don Scott to throw the club he claims he loves under the Bus, and is an insult to the integrity of the great Yabby Jeans, who was as decent and morally right as anyone in the history of the game..

I enjoyed our Home and Away and Finals tussles in the 80s and early 90s, that was footy at its finest.

I honestly cannot imagine a player as decent and honourable as Michael Tuck would gladly take secret payments from a Tasmanian account.

Don Scott has lost the plot !!!

I am just laughing this scandal off as the ranting s of a crank who has clearly felt jilted by being rejected being given a place on the board and spent too much time with Sam Newman

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wish I could recall the events of the day, but I recall in the early 1990s the AFL stepping in and warning clubs about under the table payments. Things like the Hawks offering Darren Jarman's wife employment as part of the package. Funny thing about that one is Fud's missus was the brains of the partnership and a valued staff member. I recall clubs putting a stop to the practice but there was some kind of suspicion that Carlton were still doing it, even up to some special deal with Chris Judd later on which was very suspicious. Some deal with Richard Pratt's packing company. Essendon as well were under suspicion.

However, as some people have said, yes we were guilty of it, as were many other clubs at the time. It doesn't make those flags "tainted" as every other club had the same opportunities as Hawthorn. I cannot recall the terms of the amnesty, but I do recall in the mid 1990s a directive from the AFL warning clubs against these practices in future.

There really is nothing to see here, and Don Scott has once again placed self interests ahead of the club. It's the last straw for me with Scott.

And before anyone dares to bring up anything about him saving the club in the anti-merger, this is the greatest load of crap of all time. That initiative was masterminded by Ian Dicker who cleverly used former greats Scott and Brereton as spokespeople. It continues to annoy me that people think it was Scott's idea. How do I know? I am related to Ian Dicker, that's how I know. If people only knew how much money was poured into the club by Dicker around that time they'd be embarrassed to think Scott had anything to do with it.

good post.

I am curious as to how some of these podcasts work. Does Don actually get paid for being a buffoon weekly or just being a buffoon for free? 🤦‍♂️

My (often repeated) opinion of Don Scott and Hawthorn:

1. Magnificent leader from 1967 to 1980, and for 2 months in late 1996;
2. Absolute nutcase in 1981, and thereafter, and at all other times.

My brother was a couple of years behind him at Blackburn High School: he confirms No 2 above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back