Don Scott says Hawks cheated salary cap - 4x premierships tainted

Remove this Banner Ad

Still bitter that his son got delisted, Obviously has had a grudge against the club for fair while. Has never really had any positive things to say about the club. Seems to only bob up when we in a bit of a trough

No, it started in late 1980 when his great mate, David Parkin was sacked and Alan Jeans was appointed coach for 1981.
If you remember 1981, Scott pretty much sulked all year, then retired.

Scott has never, ever praised Alan Jeans despite his fantastic record coaching the Hawks (nor has he ever said anything remotely nice about Alastair Clarkson for that matter).
I was at a talk 3 years ago: David Parkin told us that Scott had never forgiven the club.

And for Dave Id: Don Scott speaks with apparent intelligence, but there have been many other lunatics who have done so!

No, it started in late 1980 when his great mate, David Parkin was sacked and Alan Jeans was appointed coach for 1981.
If you remember 1981, Scott pretty much sulked all year, then retired.

Scott has never, ever praised Alan Jeans despite his fantastic record coaching the Hawks (nor has he ever said anything remotely nice about Alastair Clarkson for that matter).
I was at a talk 3 years ago: David Parkin told us that Scott had never forgiven the club.

Parkin was busy winning back to back premierships in 81/82.

Scott was not the only unhappy Hawk at the time.

My (often repeated) opinion of Don Scott and Hawthorn:

1. Magnificent leader from 1967 to 1980, and for 2 months in late 1996;
2. Absolute nutcase in 1981, and thereafter, and at all other times.

My brother was a couple of years behind him at Blackburn High School: he confirms No 2 above.

My father went to school with Don as well so knows him quite well .
They werent mates or anything but on the occasions they've crossed paths since, Don is always very friendly and up for a chat but wont talk football at all .

I asked him today about it and he wasn't suprised .......he never is with what Don does or says so that probably says a bit .

Don mentioned all this two years ago.

Probably not impressed with Jeans pressing for the Melbourne Hawks,as were most Hawthorn members.

Damned sure Kennedy did not like the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This dickhead is a total anomaly ... a contradiction. Goes out of his way to save the club, yet every action since then has been very un-hawthorn like. I don't follow politics, so I'll probably never get it.

* off Don you racist prick
You’ve lost any right to be called Hawthorn
Pity you can’t see passed your nose that has media parasites running to you for a quote, especially when the Hawks are struggling on the rare occasion
* off and don’t come back

Don is Hawthorn, I'd like to make that point first.

Don is also 72. He's getting old and hopefully there are no medical issues causing this.

He would give you the shirt of his back to save your local club (I know that on the time he came to ours), but he is one out there as a human, geez any bloke willing to go up against crackers keenan in the ruck, take the first known manbag (possibly in the world) to a tribunal hearing and not speak to Leigh Matthews almost his entire career but run a 100m to king hit a guy who king hit Leigh Matthews because he was my teammate and no one touches my team mates is even in a different world to me, even when I'm on the p*ss.

Don't get angry at Don, he believes in what he believes, he is a legend of the club even though he wouldn't take that honour. And in a way he may well be more p*ssed about being given that honour when he said he didn't want it and they announced it (which was a bit dumb to announce the new legend wouldn't be taking the legend status) and that is why he is doing this, because they still tried to give him the honour, there is no declining of that honour, you don't have to be there to receive it, that is fine, but you bloody earned it so it should have been given it regardless and I would hope it is given when he passes some day. The club on this one should have simply said new legend Don he doesn't agree but we do.

He said at our local club there is no honour in football. However up until today, I would argue he epitomises in some ways honour in football. I still do, you could see Ayres smiling when '7' interviewed him tonight, yep that was the 'Don' I knew.

Don doesn't do it the best... but he does it his way and when you hit 72 your due a random idea/tirade/etc, hell when I hit 17 I'm sure I was just as kind like Don in a way. Now I'm happy. I've done something silly like Don... Is Don is Good 4 me.

Don is also 72. He's getting old and hopefully there are no medical issues causing this.

He would give you the shirt of his back to save your local club (I know that on the time he came to ours), but he is one out there as a human, geez any bloke willing to go up against crackers keenan in the ruck, take the first known manbag (possibly in the world) to a tribunal hearing and not speak to Leigh Matthews almost his entire career but run a 100m to king hit a guy who king hit Leigh Matthews because he was my teammate and no one touches my team mates is even in a different world to me, even when I'm on the p*ss.

Don't get angry at Don, he believes in what he believes, he is a legend of the club even though he wouldn't take that honour. And in a way he may well be more p*ssed about being given that honour when he said he didn't want it and they announced it (which was a bit dumb to announce the new legend wouldn't be taking the legend status) and that is why he is doing this, because they still tried to give him the honour, there is no declining of that honour, you don't have to be there to receive it, that is fine, but you bloody earned it so it should have been given it regardless and I would hope it is given when he passes some day. The club on this one should have simply said new legend Don he doesn't agree but we do.

He said at our local club there is no honour in football. However up until today, I would argue he epitomises in some ways honour in football. I still do, you could see Ayres smiling when '7' interviewed him tonight, yep that was the 'Don' I knew.

Don doesn't do it the best... but he does it his way and when you hit 72 your due a random idea/tirade/etc, hell when I hit 17 I'm sure I was just as kind like Don in a way. Now I'm happy. I've done something silly like Don... Is Don is Good 4 me.
This isn't the first time he's brought this up. He did an interview on 3AW from memory, around 18 months ago.

This isn't the first time he's brought this up. He did an interview on 3AW from memory, around 18 months ago.

Pretty sure someone else said that. So I was aware b4 I wrote what I wrote, not having a go at all.

Don is the one of the weirdest Cats you'll ever meet.
But he would die for you on the field. He has obviously faded lately which is why they are using him on podcast... controversy makes news.
It's a nothing story Carlton's salary cap was 5 times ours which is why when we won 86 Elliot said we got 4 of the best 5 players not playing AFL why the hell didn't we get Platten.

They did, they thought by buying him an SS commodore but we had better lawyers and we had him on form 4.

And it's why Collins put in the moratorium to cover up his salary cap breaches at Carlton later on to cover up his dealings.

Let's be honest Matthews passed up 'X' amount of times his wage to join Collingwood in the early 80's.

Also btw there was no salary cap during most of those years. They invented it to stop us... and we were never in top 3 payers we didn't have the money.

I think you might be referring to Trevor Coote’s presidency when he did the renovations at glenferrie in the early 90s

Yep, Trevor Coote did a number on us didn't he. Renovations to the Michael Tuck Stand, quoted at $700,000 and ran into $1.6 million. How someone could rip off his own club like that is beyond me.

Greats of the club wouldn't do this to their club. Regardless of his state of mind. Its no excuse to tarnish Hawthorn FC and the hard work that many put into the club and those premierships. What a low act. I'm sure if Kennedy were alive he would knock Scott out.

Never trust a non drinker or show jumper they say!!!

I know Don had the braisin bits after the merger attempt and he drifted off into the sunset.

From memory Dons son tried to sue the club at one stage.

Don has recently come out saying the Dingley project was a waste of money.

Don has recently been in a bitter dispute with Jeff about his Hall of Fame induction at the club.

He is 70 odd and has been nowhere for 25 years and all of the sudden has found his voice again.

There must be an earner here for Don somewhere. 💰

Let's face it. Scott just lives in his own world. I have a mate who played with South Adelaide in the time Scott tried to coach them. He said the players couldn't stand him, and my mate couldn't understand a thing he was on about. Everyone knows what a rough diamond he is and shouldn't be taken seriously, and yet the media are giving credence to him. More fool them.

Greats of the club wouldn't do this to their club. Regardless of his state of mind. Its no excuse to tarnish Hawthorn FC and the hard work that many put into the club and those premierships. What a low act. I'm sure if Kennedy were alive he would knock Scott out.

Regardless of his state of mind.

Led a charmed life their Harper, when one of your family get's Alzhiemers or Dementia (or a multitude of other old ppl diseases). Anything can fricken happen. Don't wish it on you or your family and hope if one of them get it you would have a bit of niceness to them.

Kennedy would knock them out. Jesus. Kennedy had compassion.

And this is what annoys me more than anything. He attends Kennedy's funeral, and straight away decides to pour manure over the love of Kennedy's life. These are the actions of a nasty vindictive person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back