Remove this Banner Ad

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
No, it started in late 1980 when his great mate, David Parkin was sacked and Alan Jeans was appointed coach for 1981.
If you remember 1981, Scott pretty much sulked all year, then retired.

Scott has never, ever praised Alan Jeans despite his fantastic record coaching the Hawks (nor has he ever said anything remotely nice about Alastair Clarkson for that matter).
I was at a talk 3 years ago: David Parkin told us that Scott had never forgiven the club.

And for Dave Id: Don Scott speaks with apparent intelligence, but there have been many other lunatics who have done so!
I've come in late on this but this is as close as it gets to understanding a very complicated and simple man at the same time.
Don has said in the past that Hawthorn was the club he played for but the Hawthorn of now isn't the same club he played for. This is in regard to the people he was associated with in his time at the club.
Don doesn't draw any correlation with club just people, he sees loyalty to the people he played with and works with first he would still bleed for the colors but those colors would have to be on a woolen jumper with a floppy collar. Don doesn't relate to modern footy as he has said by way of once trying to explain his stance he said that when a new coach is appointed these days they sweep out all the people you once knew and bring in all new faces from outside organizsations and clubs to the point that you walk in the door and not recognise anybody. He is loyal is to his time, his club and his people. In this way he doesn't see any comments made now having any effect on his club, his time, his people. Today's people aren't his people not even his club.

Last edited:

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I occasionally listen to the Sam Newman and Don Scott podcast. I’ll even include Mike Sheehan (he recently departed).

My god those three are the most unintelligent buffoons you could ever hear speak. I was surprised to hear just how little Mike Sheehan knows. Mike in one episode agreed with Sam that the Essendon players had never been found guilty of anything and then said but I’m a little ignorant on these issues as it’s not my area of expertise (he was chief footy writer at the Sun for about 1000 years and still does open Mike on Foxtel). Sam - he spends the podcast bagging out Don for butchering the English language and then proceeds to use big words out of context for the whole show with Don and Mike too stupid to pick him up. Don Scott is the most ignorant of all three by a mile. When listening I shake my head and laugh at how stupid he is (and yes I appreciate the irony of how stupid I must be to listen to the podcast). I love Don but he is as thick as two short planks. I don’t take anything he says seriously and he is a massive sook when it comes to the Hawthorn football club. Quoting Don’s views on salary cap rorting is about as credible as seeking Doug Hawkins views on nemure.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I've come in late on this but this is as close as it gets to understanding a very complicated and simple man at the same time.
Don has said in the past that Hawthorn was the club he played for but the Hawthorn of now isn't the same club he played for. This is in regard to the people he was associated with in his time at the club.
Don doesn't draw any correlation with club just people, he sees loyalty to the people he played with and works with first he would still bleed for the colors but those colors would have to be on a woolen jumper with a floppy collar. Don doesn't relate to modern footy as he has said by way of once trying to explain his stance he said that when a new coach is appointed these days they sweep out all the people you once knew and bring in all new faces from outside organizsations and clubs to the point that you walk in the door and not recognise anybody. He is loyal is to his time, his club and his people. In this way he doesn't see any comments made now having any effect on his club, his time, his people. Today's people aren't his people not even his club.
Understanding the type of man he is or not I still cannot accept the accusations he has made against the club. Don isn’t dumb and the accusations he made were a kick to the guys as we were already copping a beating from all sides of the media. He threw the club under the bus and he knew exactly what he was doing with the media heat right on us.

No one here has managed to provide us with a reasonable explanation
for why he said especially after all this years.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was Don involved in the club when these alleged salary cap issues were happening?

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Was Don involved in the club when these alleged salary cap issues were happening?
I really don't know when or at what level Don was involved with the club post playing, just have an understanding of how and why he sees things the way he does.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is Scotty all over ! Has been doing this forever. He likes to play the provocateur. When he's pointed in the right direction you get 3 flags and you save a club. Pointed in the wrong direction you get disharmony, dislocation of relationships but a reason to reflect. Surely a book will be written one day ...it would tell a hell of a story....triumph, tragedy, hilarity, heart on sleeve stuff. Someone please write it....Scotty would love it and hate it at the same time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back