Don Scott says Hawks cheated salary cap - 4x premierships tainted

Remove this Banner Ad

I will feel forever limited that I have chosen to not increase my brain capacity by listening to the great sages Sam Newman and Don Scott

Well if you would like to hop down off that very high horse of yours, you may find the real story (which is not new) spoken about in the podcast is a storm in a teacup and a rehash of many old stories of salary cap issues all clubs had in the that era. Don is actually disbelieving of the blow up of old news and was critical of the lazy journalism that is reporting this as some sort of scandal 30 years later. They then run through a range of teams who were all rorting the system. With Carlton, Essendon (no surprises) and Sydney being the worse offenders.

Go back and look at all my posts and I think you’ll find that I have called people out for sh*tting on both Stratts and Poppy. It doesn’t excuse where Don has gone with throwing the HFC under the bus. What he has done is inexcusable.
I'm sorry for everyone else who has to "cross read these little differing opinions".

There is very little in life that is total inexcusable, in my opinion, as holding onto the hate only hurts the person doing so. Like it or not Don is a smart man who knows more then me and you about the point in question. Accept that and you can look at it in a different light.

I did say at one point imagine Scott, Kennedy Snr, Lethal and Clarko all playing against each other, with a pun at the end about how "The Kid" would look like a kid against these men........the humor intended obviously missed it's mark, maybe due to age, to show how seriously I take this, which I actually do, but from a different perspective. I honestly could not tell you who would walk off that field, throw in Ian Law just to make it more interesting. Don could care less if you like him, he'd sure as s**t teach you that on the footy field that you will respect him, regardless. Maybe only Hodge could go toe to toe with these guys on the field, in the modern era, MAYBE, and that's saying something.

If you want to look at the difference of opinion in the way I express myself look at Brishawks thread about tactics, he gets down and dirty on detail; I'm conceptual about things that maybe aren't fully taken into account in ity bity details, because the details of this don't matter to me. Given the right environment it's the perfect combo to look at every situation as a potential solution, not every solution as a potential problem, if ego is keep at bay, which seems to pervade modern quick fire response and the "right" to be outraged and unhappy over something so trivial, or more importantly to be "right". Sorry my point was been missed.

And that is that this is utterly trivial s**t, compared to what the man accomplished, as a player, captain, and savior of the club, otherwise the vfl would have used it to utterly bury us?

Seriously stop taking everything personally. It is excusable, if it's in context.

Robo and Ralph on the other-hand have zero context, and therefore are inexcusable, so therefore not worth a seconds thought out of finite time I have left with my life.

I am not questioning your or anyone's else "right" to be outraged, merely the logic of it, when each week I read worse from supporters about the players from a emotional point of view rather than a logical one.

Last edited:
I know Don Scott can be a bit of a loose cannon, but please don’t compare him to Sam Newman. Newman is a self aggrandising bigot and racist. Scotty is the complete opposite.

And I wish people would leave his son, Doug, out of this conversation. Doug had a real issue with the club at the time and was treated very poorly.

I'll put this in another light- Don would have told Parkin to simply take Papleys head off at the next opportunely, without any fanfare or mouthing off, just do it.

I'll let others work out what was better, a man of action or a monthly little * getting away with it.

Some posters have exhibited peasmear, imo.

Dragging things out of the past, trying to apply today's standards, apportioning blame and demanding retribution seems to be all the rage these days.
Tear down Kanga's statue!!!!

I'll put this in another light- Don would have told Parkin to simply take Papleys head off at the next opportunely, without any fanfare or mouthing off, just do it.

I'll let others work out what was better, a man of action or a monthly little fu** getting away with it.

It's a different time. In Scott's day you had one umpire, very little camera coverage, and you knew if you gobbed off too much you would wear one. Take Greg Williams who would run away from the play, and when his opponent followed him, he'd deck him. That's how it was done. These days, you have smaller players such as Papley who are like annoying little fox terriers who yap away knowing there's little chance of someone decking you behind the play.

Interesting that a poster disliked my post.

if you have more loyalty to D Scott than to your club you don’t belong on this board.

you know who you are

Haha is 'dislike' shamming ever acceptable?

Fortunately I don't seem to have access to a dislike option; how does one going about accessing such a prized tool?

I remember it coming in some years ago but only lasted a few day....presumably fatigued to the point of exhaustion by overuse.

Anyway, I'm clearly in a minority but Don Scott is my second favourite Hawthorn person; I have a sort of Stockholm syndrome where it doesn't matter what he does I still feel like he's the only person who could ever lead me over the top into no man's land to storm Jerry machine gun posts.

Don Scott was a thug as a footballer. As a kid I remember thinking this hit on Peter Moore was very wrong (Watch his eyes in the video below... we don’t see the hit). All other supporters hated Scott. But he was our thug and so we accepted it.

My memory of Don Scott as a commentator was that he was terribly negative in just about every statement. I disliked his commentary but gave a little as he was a Hawthorn man.

It now seems that Scott is hell-bent on alienating his last vestige of football related support. I don’t think he can help it... being aggressive seems to be his personality.

His statements may or may not be true, and seem more related to the financial situation of the Hawks just before his “heroic“ acts in stopping the merger, but frankly, I don’t care.

This is only going to hurt Don Scott.

I feel sorrow and pity for a man who is incapable of being constructive and will alienate all around him.
I don’t know what he will get out of this podcast, but for mine, it will not be worth it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha is 'dislike' shamming ever acceptable?

Fortunately I don't seem to have access to a dislike option; how does one going about accessing such a prized tool?

I remember it coming in some years ago but only lasted a few day....presumably fatigued to the point of exhaustion by overuse.

Anyway, I'm clearly in a minority but Don Scott is my second favourite Hawthorn person; I have a sort of Stockholm syndrome where it doesn't matter what he does I still feel like he's the only person who could ever lead me over the top into no man's land to storm Jerry machine gun posts.
Dipper, I see that. There are times when an aggressive and strong personality fit the circumstance.
While I have never been a fan of Don Scott, there are rare times when his personality is critical. But I cannot see how this is that time.

Last edited:
Well if you would like to hop down off that very high horse of yours, you may find the real story (which is not new) spoken about in the podcast is a storm in a teacup and a rehash of many old stories of salary cap issues all clubs had in the that era. Don is actually disbelieving of the blow up of old news and was critical of the lazy journalism that is reporting this as some sort of scandal 30 years later. They then run through a range of teams who were all rorting the system. With Carlton, Essendon (no surprises) and Sydney being the worse offenders.
So all arguments lead to us having to listen to the podcast?

This issue (non issue) has made it clear (one again) how desperate the Herald Sun (Robo and mates) is to kick into Hawthorn at any opportunity. They ran this front page for crying out loud. Its not even "news".
I can completely understand why this is front page news. It's not like there is anything important happening like a worldwide pandemic that has locked down parts of the state...........

Don Scott was a thug as a footballer. As a kid I remember thinking this hit on Peter Moore was very wrong (Watch his eyes in the video below... we don’t see the hit). All other supporters hated Scott. But he was our thug and so we accepted it.

My memory of Don Scott as a commentator was that he was terribly negative in just about every statement. I disliked his commentary but gave a little as he was a Hawthorn man.

It now seems that Scott is hell-bent on alienating his last vestige of football related support. I don’t think he can help it... being aggressive seems to be his personality.

His statements may or may not be true, and seem more related to the financial situation of the Hawks just before his “heroic“ acts in stopping the merger, but frankly, I don’t care.

This is only going to hurt Don Scott.

I feel sorrow and pity for a man who is incapable of being constructive and will alienate all around him.
I don’t know what he will get out of this podcast, but for mine, it will not be worth it.

Finally someone here that sees it the way I see it. There is nothing for Don to gain out of this except ruining his standing with the club. In an earlier post I mentioned that I wasn't doubting his comments but rather just asking what benefit does he get out of mentioning it. The guy is like a jilted lover or someone who has gone through a divorce. He's hell bent on getting revenge and he doesn't care who he hurts.

It is not the Don Scott football club and I will not support the path he has taken. Great great player but proving over and over again that he's a sh*t bloke.

I also find it interesting that his fans here just want us to listen to his podcast rather than tell us what his reasoning is.

it’s a little suspect tbh. Getting any commission out of it?

if not - just say what his reasons are rather than calling people ignorant for choosing not to choke on Sam Newman’s moronic verbal bile. Such a weak Geelong Grammar school toff - passing himself off as some “bloke of the people” who speaks his mind. Give me a ******* break. Dictionary has his picture when you look up *stick

This is a new one to me...what's peasmear?
What peplays (yeah I give a rats about the spelling of such a mouthy little prick) head would like in in an ideal world of real footy getting what they deserve. Of course I accept that my ideal world differs from many others.

These tiny little men would last three seconds in real footy, IE: Lamb and what Bolton told him to do to Sicily. Imaganige that little s**t trying that on Aryes. Imagine Bolton actually getting away with it, oooh that's right the little short arsed bastard did and is back at OUR club. Respect, nah not from me, sorry. He can piss off forevermore in the words of others about the Great Scott for shitiing on one that was his own, big time and cowardly so.

Rant end. Thanks for listening.

What peplays (yeah I give a rats about the spelling of such a mouthy little prick) head would like in in an ideal world of real footy getting what they deserve. Of course I accept that my ideal world differs from many others.

These tiny little men would last three seconds in real footy, IE: Lamb and what Bolton told him to do to Sicily. Imaganige that little sh*t trying that on Aryes. Imagine Bolton actually getting away with it, oooh that's right the little short arsed bastard did and is back at OUR club. Respect, nah not from me, sorry. He can piss off forevermore in the words of others about the Great Scott for shitiing on one that was his own, big time and cowardly so.

Rant end. Thanks for listening.

Fairly close to incomprehensible.

Fairly close to incomprehensible.
What Bolton told Jed Lamb to do to Sicily? Yeah I agree. It is incomprehensible, compared to footballers who knew that to gob off and seek "protection" from the umps (hello the coward Jackson from the handbags) would have lasted a fast 5 seconds in the era people are claiming Scott was a mad man.

Geez, listen To Kennedy Snr when he played ruck and what he said to an opponent after dropping him, it was simply "welcome to the big league son".

These were hard hard men. Not like the boys choir of today, who know that 3 umpires and a million cameras means protection for the worst offences, which is to mouth off in a personal manner and be allowed to get away with it on the field. This I believe was Clarkos point regarding peasmear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back