News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are we looking at with the big fella? couple of years of service until Lowden comes on, or relying on him for the next few flags?
At 24 years of age I'd be wanting more than a couple of years service or they can give us our picks back!

At 24 years of age I'd be wanting more than a couple of years service or they can give us our picks back!

Given our trading skill we'll probably get one of them back plus a much improved Savage in about 3 years time

Bailey never left the ground though with those knee's, so as long as Ben has a vertical leap greater than 6cm we are no worse off.
That's just a myth. Bailey leapt off the ground at centre square bounches throughout 2013. However, he tended not to at other stoppages probably due to coaching. The guys that go to the training sessions may be able to shed more light on this.

Honestly I don't see Lowden ever making it which is one of the reason we got him. Lowden has awful skills

Disagree.

Did you see him at the VFL Grand Final - played a great game.

I expect further improvement from Lowden in 2014.

Disagree.

Did you see him at the VFL Grand Final - played a great game.

I expect further improvement from Lowden in 2014.
Posters writing off young ruckman...

One who has hardly done a preseason in his time on the list...

He's been on the list for 5 years hasn't he?

Yes but he was still at school in his first year and not expected to do much outside school football. He is the same age as Grimley and Ceglar, all of whom were drafted as project players,(in Ceglar's case by Collingwood.
The Hawks also have similar project players in Brand and Tatupu.
With ruckmen and KPPs some clubs take a long term view and punt on some guys with particular attributes being able to develop into AFL footballers over time.
I expect the club will expect all of Lowden, Grimley and Ceglar to show some tangible progress in their development in 2014.

Don't know about Lowdens playing ability but from the BH games I watched he seemed pretty quite when it came to around the ground work but......in the finals he DID look good and mobile plus he is a very good size so there must be a good reason for the Hawks to keep him on the list.

n
That's just a myth. Bailey leapt off the ground at centre square bounches throughout 2013. However, he tended not to at other stoppages probably due to coaching. The guys that go to the training sessions may be able to shed more light on this.
No myth, watched enough games to categorically say that Max hardly left the ground. Max would regularly allow opposition ruck have first jump at the contest and then reach up to contest if and when they misjudged their leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think saints have rooted themselves.

They lost McEvoy, Dal Santo and Goddard last year and haven't traded in any top 10 draft picks. They keep referring to "first round draft picks" but getting pick 24 as steak knives in the McEvoy deal is very different to getting pick 8 or 9 like Collingwood got for Shaw.

Who would you prefer in your team, Heath Shaw or Ben McEvoy?

Saints got screwed.

They lost McEvoy, Dal Santo and Goddard last year and haven't traded in any top 10 draft picks. They keep referring to "first round draft picks" but getting pick 24 as steak knives in the McEvoy deal is very different to getting pick 8 or 9 like Collingwood got for Shaw.

Saints got screwed.
yeah the old "first round draft pick" doesn't have the same ring to it when you're talking mid 20s . You're in lottery territory there.

There has been so much rooting going on at the Saints over the years it seems like they were training for it. Bound to do it to themselves sooner or later.

No myth, watched enough games to categorically say that Max hardly left the ground. Max would regularly allow opposition ruck have first jump at the contest and then reach up to contest if and when they misjudged their leap.
It actually is a myth. I've watched several games from 2013 over the last month and Bailey is often leaving the ground. And I don't mean like inconsequential hops, I'm referring to full blown leaps into the air.
If he never left the ground they wouldn't have played him. They would've just gone with Ceglar.

Saints got screwed.

I agree, but Heath Shaw or Ben McEvoy is not a fair comparison.

A fairer one would be Heath Shaw vs Inanimate Carbon Rod.
Or any member of the Shaw family vs Inanimate Carbon Rod.

It's hard to pick really!

;)

Saints got screwed.

Pick 24 was ours. We actually ended up with Picks 18 and 19 from this trade. (Your first pick, and a slight upgrade on our 2nd from 24->19).

We clearly rated the top 20 highly and didn't think much of it afterwards. And most Saints fans were pretty happy when we managed to pick up Dunstan and Acres with our 2nd and 3rd picks.

For what it's worth, a number of Saints fans believe we would have taken Hartung at 19 if Acres was not available. So you guys definitely did well.

I think it'll take a few years before we work out if we were screwed or not. For now, I'm thinking positively!

Pick 24 was ours. We actually ended up with Picks 18 and 19 from this trade. (Your first pick, and a slight upgrade on our 2nd from 24->19).

We clearly rated the top 20 highly and didn't think much of it afterwards. And most Saints fans were pretty happy when we managed to pick up Dunstan and Acres with our 2nd and 3rd picks.

For what it's worth, a number of Saints fans believe we would have taken Hartung at 19 if Acres was not available. So you guys definitely did well.

I think it'll take a few years before we work out if we were screwed or not. For now, I'm thinking positively!

I think you did well, the players you got look real good but atm they're potential. Obviously going for short term pain for long term gain.

The issue is losing many senior or mid age players over a short term period can affect the development of younger players. Teams like Melbourne really suffered from this.

Still you have strong leaders in Riewoldt and Hayes so that helps.

You were in a sh*t situation after Ross and everyone said St Kilda have no quality young players, so to get those quality younger players in you need to take risks and may lose a key player or 2.

Hopefully its a win-win for both clubs and I really hope Sav can carve out a good career with the Saints

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We haven't had great ruck stocks for a while.

It seems to me that Clarko just wants a contest at the ruck. Even hearing the players talk about roving to Sandilands in the GF reminded me that the Hawks are aware of the situation. You don't have to win the hitouts to win the centre clearances.

But if McEvoy gets around the ground, and back to defensive contests as often as his athleticism is talked up, we should be just fine, thank you.

We haven't had great ruck stocks for a while.

It seems to me that Clarko just wants a contest at the ruck. Even hearing the players talk about roving to Sandilands in the GF reminded me that the Hawks are aware of the situation. You don't have to win the hitouts to win the centre clearances.

But if McEvoy gets around the ground, and back to defensive contests as often as his athleticism is talked up, we should be just fine, thank you.
But imagine if he was a decent tap ruckman as well

We needed another ruck. Simple as that. McEvoy is so much of an upgrade on Bailey he also helps negate the loss of Franklin simply by letting Hale/Roughead play forward more and he himself pushing forward(which Bailey wasn't able to do, except v Norf).

Savage wasn't going to force himself into our best 22 and we would have lost him for nothing this year anyway.

Dunstan looks good and there are big wraps on Acres. Do we really need their type though?

Dunstan ready made inside midfielder... We have these players at Box Hill who are ready to go.. Langford, Hallahan, Woodward. Would rather a speculative pick on a Sicily who could one day be something unique in the AFL.

Acres a tall rebounding defender. Birchall & Stratton still have many years left inside the 22, with Litherland and Kelly at Box Hill almost ready to go.

We also got Hartung from this deal, and he's either exposed a hole in our list in terms of running capacity or an absolute freak. I'd take the later seeing as we are the reigning premiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back