News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

But imagine if he was a decent tap ruckman as well
I TRIES NOT TO BE TOO GREEDY. [fingering Premiership scarf] MY PRECIOUS.

But yeah. The guts of Don Scott. The sheer class of Big Fish. Some of Spida's tap work. A touch of Max Bailey's honest toil. With a soupçon of Cindy's gut-running and athleticism. Plus a snifter of Buddy's unpredictable genius thrown in. All with shades of Paul Dear circa the 1989 GF. Just for old time's sake.

That's what I'm imagining right now.

[/trousers]

But yeah. The guts of Don Scott. The sheer class of Big Fish. Some of Spida's tap work. A touch of Max Bailey's honest toil. With a soupçon of Cindy's gut-running and athleticism. Plus a snifter of Buddy's unpredictable genius thrown in. All with shades of Paul Dear circa the 1989 GF. Just for old time's sake.

[/trousers]
I know we have a few - 1991 GF

Yet we still won all 3 games convincingly...
The thing is taps to advantage doesn't really mean that the tap hit our player, its when a tap goes to one of our players who is under very little pressure. All this shows is that the taps may have been going to our players but they were under pressure. Its more a slight on our midfielder's ability to get space for roving a tap.

Been happy with McEvoy so far.

Do Lowden and Grimmers have enough mongrel in them to make the grade?
Me too, imo he is an upgrade on Bailey but more importantly he is miles in front of anyone else we would have been able to get to replace Bailey.

When Bailey retired I was seriously worried about our ruck stocks as not too many teams win flags without a established ruck and having to play Roughead and Hale as our main rucks would be robbing Peter to pay Paul especially without Buddy now. I am ecstatic that the Hawks were able to pull of this trade for very little cost when you consider Savage was not going to get regular games for us. And best of all McEnvoy is only 24-25.

Why do we underrate our ruck men regularly. That tap from Hale (against Sandilands) to Breust in the GF for a goal was superb! McEvoy will be good for us, maximise his output based on his strengths and the rest will take care of itself. We are a champion team not a team of champions!

Why do we underrate our ruck men regularly. That tap from Hale (against Sandilands) to Breust in the GF for a goal was superb! McEvoy will be good for us, maximise his output based on his strengths and the rest will take care of itself. We are a champion team not a team of champions!
That was a sharked tap by Breust from Sandilands. Hale competed enough in that contest to ensure Sandilands couldn't put it right down the throat of a Freo midfielder.

Will have to watch again to confirm but am sure it was a clever tap from Hale.
I double checked before I posted just to be certain. The footage is blurry but looks like the tip of Hale's fingers just reach Sandiland's wrist where as Sandliands makes contact with the ball with his palm. CH7 commentary also says that Breust cuts it off and I'm pretty sure I read/heard something from Breust about it afterwards about how he'd noticed Sandilands tap it down to the same spot a few times previously so he just set himself up to go through that spot.

Will have to watch again to confirm but am sure it was a clever tap from Hale.
Bruest said after the match he ran to that part of the ruck contest because Sandilands was tapping the ball there a bit
Sandilands palmed the ball there, Bruest sharked it and kicked the goal

What McEvoy adds around the ground with his running capacity and marking more than makes up for any tapping finesse people are querying. The game is moving towards rewarding teams with mature bodies and endurance. Think about the teams that possess these qualities and they will be the ones competing for the silverware at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What McEvoy adds around the ground with his running capacity and marking more than makes up for any tapping finesse people are querying. The game is moving towards rewarding teams with mature bodies and endurance. Think about the teams that possess these qualities and they will be the ones competing for the silverware at the end of the year.

Every reduction in rotation numbers makes McEvoy more valuable

McEvoy clearly offers more than just his ruck work.
His ability to play up forward allows us to rest him up forward which adds greater potency to our forward line.
In the new era of limited interchange, Hawthorn are uniquely placed with Hale and McEvoy relative to many other clubs

Good thing about Bens recruitment was we had room in the cap. Heavily front ended deal allowing us a shot at Frawley.

Those two becoming Hawks plus keeping everyone happy is a clever way to distribute the Buddy coin.

[/trousers]

And Dermie running through the Essendon huddle...

High hopes!

Bruest said after the match he ran to that part of the ruck contest because Sandilands was tapping the ball there a bit
Sandilands palmed the ball there, Bruest sharked it and kicked the goal

Yeah, Breust knew the pattern of play and cleverly intercepted. I love watching Breust from the throw-in through to the goal...it's a brilliant passage of play!

Loving this article on the Big Boy's switch to defence. So many quotable quotes:

"I nearly fell out of my boots to be honest."
"It's like I am back in my first year, I am so nervous going into games because it is so new but, like, it's exciting at the same time,"

Think the switch is going really well.

Loving this article on the Big Boy's switch to defence. So many quotable quotes:

"I nearly fell out of my boots to be honest."
"It's like I am back in my first year, I am so nervous going into games because it is so new but, like, it's exciting at the same time,"

Think the switch is going really well.

Makes perfect sense. Clarko has a brilliant understanding of the game and his players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back