Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Pfft

I was talking about girls in school who decide to start playing footy

I don't care about your struggles in adjusting to our PC society
...so you explain your choice of words before declaring don't care.

Hmmmmm.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually, my orig comment was mocking of the PC crowd. I don't care much either.
I knew what you meant, but I didn't understand why you'd made that an issue with my post

When I read it back, I could see the ambiguity of my sentence.

I dunno. I sometimes refer to women as "girls" when talking trivially - the same way people sometimes refer to grown men as boys. Gunna have a few beers with the boys, etc.... Girls, guys, whatever....

But labelling the AFLW footballers as "girls" seems oddly patronising. I wouldn't do that, but it's probably why you picked up on it. They're to be taken seriously as athletes and me calling them girls might be perceived as patronising.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
good vid. Well done Richmond, well done Hardwick. campaigner copped so much flack, they called for his head, he delivered a flag and a god almighty * you.

Brilliant.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
I knew what you meant, but I didn't understand why you'd made that an issue with my post

When I read it back, I could see the ambiguity of my sentence.

I dunno. I sometimes refer to women as "girls" when talking trivially - the same way people sometimes refer to grown men as boys. Gunna have a few beers with the boys, etc.... Girls, guys, whatever....

But labelling the AFLW footballers as "girls" seems oddly patronising. I wouldn't do that, but it's probably why you picked up on it. They're to be taken seriously as athletes and me calling them girls might be perceived as patronising.
No issue with your post. I was thinking there might be some people offended by "girls" and just having a pre-emptive crack.

Happy for Hardwick he told everyone we would bounce back on the couch and every footy expert laughed at him and stuck the boot in especially Matthew Lloyd and Kane Cornes

I like the humanizing stories behind football, good to see the AFL making these stories a core part of their campaign

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Dont believe in never... as you may get the Cats at the MCG despite finsihing 3rd and then the non Vic minor premier in the GF at the MCG...
Would hate to get the Bulldogs in WA though..

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Alir alir if he doesnt get back into the Sydney team this year he would easily slot into most other teams defence.

Too good for nsw fl or whatever it is

Well he was dropped during 2017 because he wasn't performing to the expected standard, so maybe he's not as good as performances over a short period in 2016 suggested.

Rance2Mewtwo

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

But treating them differently by using different language to what you'd use for the boys, is in itself, patronising. The same rules of language should apply equally.

Boys had a good win = Girls had a good win.

I know you're not an SJW, but to anyone who is an SJW... what's wrong with that?

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well he was dropped during 2017 because he wasn't performing to the expected standard, so maybe he's not as good as performances over a short period in 2016 suggested.

There was a lot of hype around him in 2016 from a very small sample of exiting games that showed his inexperience alongside his athletic potential.

He had close to no pre-season leading into 2017 due to a toe injury, and once stuck in the reserves, was trialled in a few different roles that meant it was hard to get continuity / consistency. Plus it's quite hard in the NEAFL to show your value as a key position defender week in week out, due to the quality of some opposition teams.

He's not as good as some of that 2016 hype implied (not yet, anyway) and the emergence of Melican means he starts someway back in the pecking order in 2017. I'd love it if both could find a spot in the senior side on a regular basis but it remains to be seen if the club will see it that way. Ideally we need both he and Melican to develop to replace Grundy in the next 12-36 months, but that doesn't mean I don't want Grundy in the team right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back