Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep games that matter. What games matter as compared to games that don't matter?

Enright was suspended in the qf against freemantle. He was also fined the month before for a seperate incident for doing the same stupid stuff that Johnson does. Johnson has never been suspended in a final until now and nearly all his suspensions came during the rubbish carry over system period. The stuff Johnson does is done by heaps of players including the likes of Scarlett, Lewis, milburn, hawkins, hodge on a regular basis. Difference was that Johnson had a massive run in with baker in 2010 where he was basically violated on the field and as a result of the game had massive carry overs so would get pinged for every minor incident that all the others regularly did but wouldn't have scrutinised cos of the lack of carry over.

But after maybe the third time that happened you'd think he could engage his brain and stop doing that stuff so's to eliminate the chance of getting rubbed out. He couldn't and didn't - a veteran and guy who should've been a leader to the younger brigade. Not exactly the message you want sent. In terms of leadership for the guys coming up I think Bartel and Enright are far better to have kept around the club.

Or play all 3 and maybe not have bartel playing as a forward.

Ridiculously stupid straw man arguments such as this should be banned. It's makes everyone stupider from having read them.

Considering Bartel was in our best on Friday while Stevie watched his team lose from the sidelines, I'd say it's unfair to say he should've been dropped. As for the straw man argument, the fact is Stevie got moved on as we wanted to get games into younger guys in that position and, allegedly, because he wouldn't follow instruction on the field. Whether that was right or wrong, fact is if he was playing, that's a spot Menzel or Linc don't get.

How about playing Motlop to his strengths, how about actually trying to coach him to get the best out of him. Wouldn't that be better then trading him for unders (which we no doubt will do)?

Beveridge gets the best out of his whole side. Meanwhile we are getting much less for much more talented players.

A well coached confident happy Motlop is going to come back to bite us on the ass. He's one of our best most talented unique players, a unique player with x factor and creativity we already severely lack. We lose him we are immediately worse.

I say coach him well to play to his strengths, instead of trading him for unders.

I expect us to trade him for unders.

We're really just treading water until Scott is sacked. He can't get the best out of players and he can't implement a successful gameplan, so all this talk of who gets traded out and who gets traded in is ultimately futile. It won't be the difference between success and failure. Scott has been exposed time and time again, so now we just sit and wait for this period in the club's history to be over. Hopefully the next coach has some semblance of an idea of how to develop players and tactics that perform in finals games.

We're really just treading water until Scott is sacked. He can't get the best out of players and he can't implement a successful gameplan, so all this talk of who gets traded out and who gets traded in is ultimately futile. It won't be the difference between success and failure. Scott has been exposed time and time again, so now we just sit and wait for this period in the club's history to be over. Hopefully the next coach has some semblance of an idea of how to develop players and tactics that perform in finals games.
Not going to happen anytime soon I'm afraid.....talk is they are negotiating an extension on his current contract already.
Don't expect a Premiership anytime soon......we just need to hope the damage is minimal until the club wakes up

Are you sure it has, or is are you imaging it has? Like how you imagined me saying I wanted Geelong to lose a final (still waiting for that quote, by the way).

Steve Johnson being moved on hasn't been done to death? Now you're having a laugh, clear reason why it gets moved to old arguments thread.

You either get why he was pushed or you're foolish to think it was a mistake. In this case you appear to be a fool.

Steve Johnson being moved on hasn't been done to death? Now you're having a laugh, clear reason why it gets moved to old arguments thread.

You either get why he was pushed or you're foolish to think it was a mistake. In this case you appear to be a fool.

You're the one here talking about lack of goalscorers.

I totally agree chris scott is a nice guy dont get me wrong has always had time for his fans but i do not rate him as a coach. Unfortunately the cats are looking at extending his contract our only hope is if we can get a better support of assistances with bettter ideas and influence around the club. Scott has always been happy with a medicore performance. He has the exact team he wanted and could not get them to even compete against the swans. I would have been pissed off if we lost by a small margin against the swans but im just furious in that effort. It was a prelim final for gods sake!! What the hell was that crap. I got abused for letting my frustration out at the game in the first quarter while watching the swans walk all over us.
I just cant help but think if we had a coach which had more influence on his players we would have played a lot better

The decision to trade Geelong's second highest goal scorer never bothered you last year, and SJ never put in as utterly piss-weak finals efforts as what Motlop did.
I have no issue with SJ being traded out last year....that was totally on him, not the club.
When you continually get suspended on the eve of big games, what other option does the club have?
I warned GWBogan about a month before the finals, that Johnno would get rubbed out in the finals......guess what?

I have no issue with SJ being traded out last year....that was totally on him, not the club.
When you continually get suspended on the eve of big games, what other option does the club have?
I warned GWBogan about a month before the finals, that Johnno would get rubbed out in the finals......guess what?
Don't tag me, minnow.

Stevie J will be back. :cool:

Considering Bartel was in our best on Friday while Stevie watched his team lose from the sidelines, I'd say it's unfair to say he should've been dropped. As for the straw man argument, the fact is Stevie got moved on as we wanted to get games into younger guys in that position and, allegedly, because he wouldn't follow instruction on the field. Whether that was right or wrong, fact is if he was playing, that's a spot Menzel or Linc don't get.
He kicked 43 goals this year. Wasnt far off from all australian consideration. Every team would of included him in a heartbeat. Bartel in the meantime has had to face media scrutiny about not being best 22. They are so far apart in ability at the moment that its silly to compare and it has been that way since 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disgusting commenT about a legend of the club. There is no 2011 or 2007 flag without SJ and there is only a couple of other players from that era you could say that about.
Calm your jets.
Yes Stevie J has been a great servant of the club.....I loved him in the blue and white hoops, but aside from the 'troll' bit, which was obvious tongue in cheek, what part of my post is untrue?
He DID have a habit of getting cited, reported or suspended on the eve of big games. And he did it again this year!!!
Something like 8-9 times in the last 3-4 years at the club in fact.
Don't take it to heart, it's just the way it is.
I hope we see him back at Geelong one day soon in a coaching role because he's got so much to offer, but he alone made his position at the Club unworkable, because of his lack of discipline

Its going to be a long time given Scott is doing an ayres on steriods and trading away all our draft picks for older players. The talent of our list under 23 is probably the worst in the comp.

Calm your jets.
Yes Stevie J has been a great servant of the club.....I loved him in the blue and white hoops, but aside from the 'troll' bit, which was obvious tongue in cheek, what part of my post is untrue?
He DID have a habit of getting cited, reported or suspended on the eve of big games. And he did it again this year!!!
Something like 8-9 times in the last 3-4 years at the club in fact.
Don't take it to heart, it's just the way it is.
I hope we see him back at Geelong one day soon in a coaching role because he's got so much to offer, but he alone made his position at the Club unworkable, because of his lack of discipline
My mistake if it was tongue in cheek. Often on this board its not.

He kicked 43 goals this year. Wasnt far off from all australian consideration. Every team would of included him in a heartbeat. Bartel in the meantime has had to face media scrutiny about not being best 22. They are so far apart in ability at the moment that its silly to compare and it has been that way since 2013.

Last year he kicked 30. 19, 23 and 17 the years before that. He hasn't been a huge goal scorer for five years. Whether Stevie would've performed like he did this year in the hoops is questionable as it seems the change in scenery may have reignited him somewhat. The call to move him on instead of Bartel clearly had more to do with their influence (positive or negative) at the club. I love Stevie but he had massive flaws with discipline in his last few years with us so I find it confusing that people seem so baffled that he was moved on. He had a great year this year and may have one next year but I'm hopeful that Menzel, Linc or Cockatoo can flourish in the forward-line for years to come and one of them would have been missing out if Stevie was in this year. And ultimately, Biggy's trolling about how Steve would have helped us win a flag came undone because his lack of discipline cost his current team dearly when it counted most. Menzel getting injured for the final was unfortunate - Stevie getting suspended was his own stupidity.

He is also the one bringing up johnson in unrelated threads just to pot him. And then has the nerve to say the topic has been done to death.

I've mentioned Johnson in one other thread you peanut. The non Geelong thread (a non Geelong player) to highlight that his ill discipline cost his club a GF berth and thus (just like Chapman) vindicates the clubs decision to kick him to the curb.

Pull your head in.

That's how it works. Start a topic, or just as frequently bump one, then complain about it being talked about.

Remember, you can never win an argument with a moron.
Hahahahahaha what dribble from you. You know it's the board troll who raises Stevie all the time don't you... well clearly you don't.

But after maybe the third time that happened you'd think he could engage his brain and stop doing that stuff so's to eliminate the chance of getting rubbed out. He couldn't and didn't - a veteran and guy who should've been a leader to the younger brigade. Not exactly the message you want sent. In terms of leadership for the guys coming up I think Bartel and Enright are far better to have kept around the club.
Your thoughts on Stevie J are spot on, and exactly what I've been saying.
When a Senior player gets cited, reported, suspended close a dozen times in the space of 3-4 years, it's time to ask yourself "how is the benefiting the club and its culture"
Stevie J being moved on is on Stevie....the blame lays solely sleep at his feet.
Im told he was warned that if he didn't curb his petulance, he would be moved on. Instead of responding positively, he spat in the Clubs face, and kept on keeping on. Such is the arrogance of the bloke!
While it would have been great to finish out his career at the Cattery, the right decision was made.
Hopefully one day, we will see him back at the club in a coaching role....he's got plenty to offer!

No, I really don't.

Bloody heck mate, are you being deliberately obtuse, he was a naughty boy so had to be expelled, that was made glaringly obvious in Hocking's interview, all you need is the ability to read between the lines and it's right there for all the world to see. ;)

Your thoughts on Stevie J are spot on, and exactly what I've been saying.
When a Senior player gets cited, reported, suspended close a dozen times in the space of 3-4 years, it's time to ask yourself "how is the benefiting the club and its culture"
Stevie J being moved on is on Stevie....the blame lays solely sleep at his feet.
Im told he was warned that if he didn't curb his petulance, he would be moved on. Instead of responding positively, he spat in the Clubs face, and kept on keeping on. Such is the arrogance of the bloke!
While it would have been great to finish out his career at the Cattery, the right decision was made.
Hopefully one day, we will see him back at the club in a coaching role....he's got plenty to offer!

Told by?

Last year he kicked 30. 19, 23 and 17 the years before that. He hasn't been a huge goal scorer for five years. Whether Stevie would've performed like he did this year in the hoops is questionable as it seems the change in scenery may have reignited him somewhat. The call to move him on instead of Bartel clearly had more to do with their influence (positive or negative) at the club. I love Stevie but he had massive flaws with discipline in his last few years with us so I find it confusing that people seem so baffled that he was moved on. He had a great year this year and may have one next year but I'm hopeful that Menzel, Linc or Cockatoo can flourish in the forward-line for years to come and one of them would have been missing out if Stevie was in this year. And ultimately, Biggy's trolling about how Steve would have helped us win a flag came undone because his lack of discipline cost his current team dearly when it counted most. Menzel getting injured for the final was unfortunate - Stevie getting suspended was his own stupidity.
In 2014 and 2013 he was playing as a mid and running up huge browlow vote numbers in both seasons. He wasnt a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back