Remove this Banner Ad

Footscrazy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
It was October 15 2014, still less than 3 years ago, that Griff was traded. Since then, we have been on the ride of our lives. Once derided as "irrelevant", Bevo's Bulldogs have changed the game. No longer is there an aura around the best teams in the competition. At the highest level, with the administrative emphasis on financial equality, so little separates the good from the best. Our game is 44 people running around for 2 hours with a ball than answers only to the Footy Gods. There's a lot of variables.

Belief was what 2016 was all about. I still sometimes have trouble believing it, but Belief won us a Premiership. What is this so called "Belief"? It's the difference between our team being good and being the best. Since Bev took over our best footy has been as good as anyone's. When we're on we can be unstoppable. It's all based on manic pressure, forcing the opposition into turnovers in their defensive half is how this team wins games. We can dominate time spent in forward half and with so much opportunity we could have scored much more heavily last year. We were very unlucky to finish 7th, we played plenty of top 4 footy.

I don't think there's a stat for it but last year we regularly forced kicks out on the full from kick-ins. In '15 and well into '16 Jakey was beasting around making 3 blokes fall over simultaneously. Dicko has been our most consistent forward kicking 90 goals for '15-'16 and efficient medium forwards like him are gold. But at some point last year we developed the "Chaos Theory". Instead of just swarming the opposition when they have the ball, do it when have possession too. This only works when we have Belief and it's the problem with our attack at the moment.

The forward line is too disorganized expecting the chaos ball which requires swarming the drop of the footy. This means when Belief isn't there Tory, Jake etc. struggle get enough space to offer options when we slow the ball down. We need more organization to get the forward line going again. Too often do we see the wrong option. Forwards need space to demand the ball. Resting midfielders need to get out of the way and not impact initial marking contest. Why are we kicking to Libba in the pocket with 2 defenders on him? Shouldn't happen.

Friday night was called by Bevo one of the worst games under his charge. No doubt it's concerning that "Belief" continues to be so elusive but it hasn't been too far away. The media dubbed our win over the Saints as our best game of the year so far. We won that game because we're a better side not because of Belief.

The Giants game was the best we've played all year. Giants were lucky to be in the game whilst playing good footy. Lost by 2 points to the AFL team, away, kicking 9.19. If we were remotely efficient we would have won comfortably. Belief was there that night.

"Premiership hangover" can be more eloquently described by a quote from Oscar Wilde “There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”. As a fan, last year was the pinnacle of sporting experience. When I was 16 if you asked me what my goal in life was it would be "see the dogs win a flag". To end a generation of drought with such a dramatic, inspiring and truly heartwarming performance will likely never be seen again (despite what some may assume, Dees? Saints? Roos???). For the week before the Grand Final it seemed the center of the universe by some quirk of fate decided to visit Footscray and turned our young Dogs into The Beatles. As a player that's got to play with your mind when going through the long hard slog of a new season. Where to now?

Another quote from a more eloquent poet. "Stick it right up 'em". I say it's time to believe in something else. Before the season started I thought maybe it would be "do it for Bob" or something along those lines, but no. It's time to do some sticking. Time to show who's boss. It's our turn now and put the Blues to the sword. No 3 goals down at quarter time.BS. Stick it right up 'em.

It's hard to not get dragged down by all the media doom, shame and scandal that is the AFL week. It seems this week Tadgh Kennelly thinks we've lost our identity. Cheers for that Tadgh. Just look back and see how far we've come and just how good we can be when Belief is there.

Great post. I feel that the boys haven't stopped believing but to replicate last years brilliant finals form isn't as easy as flicking a switch.

That four weeks was like a perfect storm where our list was healthy and in form and I've heard several times that the footy gods were smiling on us. The players really did play out of their skins.

Things just seemed to fall our way from opposition players getting injured or suspended to the umpires finally paying the frees that we deserved and all saw.

This year we're all scratching our heads on why we're not travelling as well as expected from player in fighting rumours to third man up rule to injuries form team selections and assistant coaches changes etc.. etc...

Frustrating I know but in reality we still have the talent ability and belief so to persist to find that right combination of players that find form and confidence at the same time is the key.

We'll struggle to make finals this year and although that's hard to swallow after a premiership year, I still believe that the bulk of this group even with player and assistant coach changes will deliver us another flag in the near future.

A+ posting.
The identity stuff is interesting. As a group we are fumbling our way through the fact that we invested so much of ourselves into breaking the drought that we actually lost something in the process of winning the flag. It isn't a bad thing per se, but it is significant.

Frank Turner has a song with lyrics like "what would any of us do, if all of our hopes and dreams came true? What would there be left to talk/dream about." The current group involved at the club have an opportunity to help us fans answer that question and set a narrative that generations might hang their hat on.

I believe that every time we lose a game
A win is closer
I believe that every munted forward thrust
Could be a goal
I believe for every kick that goes astray
We can be good again, we’ll find a way
I believe

I believe

I believe that Bevo has a plan
Which will be heard
I believe the Bulldog Breed will rise again
And bring us joy

Every time I hear our club song played
Or watch the Grannie
See Tom Boyd fly
Then I know why I believe

Hold on to that feelin...

I can't wait to do 'all giddy with excitement, heart bursting with pride' walk to the G on Grand Final Day again.

Giving me tingles just thinking about it.

For what it's worth, Tadgh wouldn't have a clue about our identity.

We know who we are. We get it. That's all the matters.

Last edited:
I believe that every time we lose a game
A win is closer
I believe that every munted forward thrust
Could be a goal
I believe for every kick that goes astray
We can be good again, we’ll find a way
I believe

I believe

I believe that Bevo has a plan
Which will be heard
I believe the Bulldog Breed will rise again
And bring us joy

Every time I hear our club song played
Or watch the Grannie
See Tom Boyd fly
Then I know why I believe

Nice to know that if I can dream, then so can you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back