DONT TRADE CARLTONS PICK

Some guys knew what they were doing 15 years ago and valuing picks.
Hawthorn and Richmond were classic examples of the 2 extremes pretty similar to many clubs 15 years latter

The article actually gives credence to the point I am making that today the approach towards the draft, trade and recruitment process is much more professional and better handled today than in those early days of 2000s.

Hawthorn was more of an exception than a rule. It was one Club. If anything the Hawthorn approach gives weight to my argument of Trading Pick 1. Having multiple picks in the Top 10 would be of more value than Pick 1 alone. Hawthorn had fortuitous circumstances in their favour as well. Namely bottoming out at the the fortunate time of what some viewed as a superdraft year of 2004. If they didnt they wouldnt have had those picks. McPharlin wanting to return to Freo is what triggered the Hawks to receive picks and not the other way around. Did the Hawks know what they were doing or was there a degree of luck? Maybe a bit of both.

Lets not forget Hawks were not perfect, they made mistakes too. Such as recruiting a broken Rehn for Pick 12, which Port used via Adelaide on Burgers. No one is denying the Hawks made astute draft choices, but they also made some bad ones as well.

The AFL landscape has changed greatly since the early 2000s. Free Agency,Research, Medical Sport Science, Social Media, Go Home issues, Salary cap, Marketing etc etc.

Which clubs are you referring to 15 years later?

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The article actually gives credence to the point I am making that today the approach towards the draft, trade and recruitment process is much more professional and better handled today than in those early days of 2000s.

Hawthorn was more of an exception than a rule. It was one Club. If anything the Hawthorn approach gives weight to my argument of Trading Pick 1. Having multiple picks in the Top 10 would be of more value than Pick 1 alone. Hawthorn had fortuitous circumstances in their favour as well. Namely bottoming out at the the fortunate time of what some viewed as a superdraft year of 2004. If they didnt they wouldnt have had those picks. McPharlin wanting to return to Freo is what triggered the Hawks to receive picks and not the other way around. Did the Hawks know what they were doing or was there a degree of luck? Maybe a bit of both.

Lets not forget Hawks were not perfect, they made mistakes too. Such as recruiting a broken Rehn for Pick 12, which Port used via Adelaide on Burgers. No one is denying the Hawks made astute draft choices, but they also made some bad ones as well.

The AFL landscape has changed greatly since the early 2000s. Free Agency,Research, Medical Sport Science, Social Media, Go Home issues, Salary cap, Marketing etc etc.

Which clubs are you referring to 15 years later?

The rules and drafting has not been consistent for 25 years

Adelaide Joined
Port Joined
Freo Joined
GWS Joined
GC joined
Priority Picks were introduced and taken away
Trading future pics occured
Father son rules brought in and changed

All of the above have changed the straegies of picks and drafting, until there is a constant it can never be assessed fairly, will they ever leave it alone

The rules and drafting has not been consistent for 25 years

Adelaide Joined
Port Joined
Freo Joined
GWS Joined
GC joined
Priority Picks were introduced and taken away
Trading future pics occured
Father son rules brought in and changed

All of the above have changed the straegies of picks and drafting, until there is a constant it can never be assessed fairly, will they ever leave it alone

The AFL in almost every area and facet is the most uneven inconsistent unfair league set up in the world its always been this way and always will be.

I think every poster know this.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Probably not. The 2020 draft looks great for South AustraIians.

That being said - trade 1 and 28 to GWS for 7 and 14, and trade 7 and 2020 first for Lukosius and Rankine? THAT I'd do.
Everyone loves to talk scenarios but from the Suns perspective why would the Suns give away two contracted guns picked at 2 and 3 for 7 and your 2020 first, There has been no indication they want to leave in fact Rankine has been the exact opposite

Everyone loves to talk scenarios but from the Suns perspective why would the Suns give away two contracted guns picked at 2 and 3 for 7 and your 2020 first, There has been no indication they want to leave in fact Rankine has been the exact opposite
Just to be kind?

Sounds like a plan but you’re only going to get another Jones at 10 when we need a Dangerfield/Martin quality mid.

Funny. I remember Danger being drafted with 10.

Jones is also going to be an absolute jet should he stay healthy.

Good teams like Hawks, Cats trade their 1sts for proven elite talent instead of taking risks in the draft.

Cats do but Hawks had a real love for the unloved talent who needs a good home type in their dynasty, or getting in early. McEvoy would have been their biggest signing during that period in terms of prior performance. Shaun Burgoyne was stagnating massively, Gunston was a kid who wanted back home, Lake was pretty unloved by the dogs at the end of it.

No big names but truly the example of how to trade. No super big name bullshit just good players without going over the top price wise.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think that the club will ask the question of GC assuming we have pick 1. If Luko wants to come back..and that is an IF..then maybe a deal of crows picks 1 & 19 for Luko and GC brisbane 1st they have. Values Luko below pick 1 on his own as the crows pick 19 would be upgraded to say pick 12 based on Brisbane's current form assuming they make finals. That to me would seem a deal that remunerates GC well but also gives the crows value for pick 1

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I think that the club will ask the question of GC assuming we have pick 1. If Luko wants to come back..and that is an IF..then maybe a deal of crows picks 1 & 19 for Luko and GC brisbane 1st they have. Values Luko below pick 1 on his own as the crows pick 19 would be upgraded to say pick 12 based on Brisbane's current form assuming they make finals. That to me would seem a deal that remunerates GC well but also gives the crows value for pick 1
We are apparently not keen on the Vic metro boys ( massive go home factor) so I can see us trading pick 2 rather than chasing pick 1. Also as Budrick is currently listed to go around pick 11 I can see us trading the lions pick unless it’s in the top 10
To your point if one of the boys was dead keen to get back to Adelaide then something would be done

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are apparently not keen on the Vic metro boys ( massive go home factor) so I can see us trading pick 2 rather than chasing pick 1. Also as Budrick is currently listed to go around pick 11 I can see us trading the lions pick unless it’s in the top 10
To your point if one of the boys was dead keen to get back to Adelaide then something would be done
Yep..I wonder what it would take to prise pick 2 out from GC in that case. Would a player like Greenwood or Himmelberg and either the pick 19 the crows have or the crows 2020 1st get it done

Edit: If the crows had pick 1 and could get their hands on pick 2 - they could take both Rowell and Anderson..OR offer pick 1 for Grundy

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I'm not saying it applies to him, but I put very little value in young players who talk about how much they love their new club and won't think about leaving. I've heard it far too often to believe any of it.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I'm not saying it applies to him, but I put very little value in young players who talk about how much they love their new club and won't think about leaving. I've heard it far too often to believe any of it.
And that’s a fair call, Rankine seems very settled but who knows

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Yep..I wonder what it would take to prise pick 2 out from GC in that case. Would a player like Greenwood or Himmelberg and either the pick 19 the crows have or the crows 2020 1st get it done

Edit: If the crows had pick 1 and could get their hands on pick 2 - they could take both Rowell and Anderson..OR offer pick 1 for Grundy

We are keen to add quality to our midfield, pick 2 would be up for grabs for the right player

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
1. You wouldn't get Luko that cheap. 2. You've been extremely critical of the club and demanding that we rebuild and bottom out to get elite talent. We have a chance to get the best of the best of this years crop and you want to downgrade and do more of the same of what the club has always done ?? That makes no sense.

I back in our recruiters. If they take it to the draft it’s all good. If they trade it out for 7 and 8 then I’m happy with that too.

We are keen to add quality to our midfield, pick 2 would be up for grabs for the right player

The irony of me selling your Club Pick 1 and we end up keeping it and trying to get Pick 2 from the Suns.

That would make things interesting and also piss off a lot of Victorians lol. Win - Win. :thumbsu:

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
The irony of me selling your Club Pick 1 and we end up keeping it and trying to get Pick 2 from the Suns.

That would make things interesting and also ******** a lot of Victorians lol. Win - Win. :thumbsu:
If you pulled that off you can expect fat Eddie and the rest of the Vic media to froth at the mouth and demand a “Buddy to Swans” type ban for your club

* em let’s make it happen

Back