Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the winner of the Greg Denham award (Given for being the years most self absorbed and thinking they and only they are always right about anything and every thing)

Beaten finalists

Caroline Wilson
Patrick Smith

And the winner, once again: Greg Denham
Caro doesn't lose that contest

Good to see her retire as soon as she gets her Premiership... not biased or compromised at all

Just read the first line of The Age's article on Wilson. "Much-loved"?? By who? Besides her family and presumably some of her colleagues.

Much-tolerated would have been more appropriate. I can think of more fitting adjectives but I'll try not to be nasty.

I won't be rushing to read The Age any time soon, particularly as she's still in a job there, but it's a step in the right direction.

Just read the first line of The Age's article on Wilson. "Much-loved"?? By who? Besides her family and presumably some of her colleagues.

Much-tolerated would have been more appropriate. I can think of more fitting adjectives but I'll try not to be nasty.

I won't be rushing to read The Age any time soon, particularly as she's still in a job there, but it's a step in the right direction.

A bit like how Abbott made John Howard seem like a beacon of humanity, Caro was certainly the lesser of two evils when compared to The Chief writer of the Herald Sun. Not sure who I'd want to become the heir apparent. I actually like Rohan Connoly, also, I like Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson as other candidates. Didn't Rohan Conolly retire from The Age though? These guys talk about footy rather than gossip columnists consumed by nauseating sanctimony with a pitch fork mentality. They also appear to have some integrity.

Also what about these storms! The Yarra and Marybinong set to flood, it's kind of exciting, hope people houses don't get washed away. Stay safe. :)

What is this world coming to???

Eddie McGuire faces backlash over comment during episode of Millionaire Hot Seat

Aaron Langmaid, Herald Sun
December 1, 2017 12:58pm
premium_iconSubscriber only
  • veteran host and Collingwood president has been criticised for a throwaway comment toward the end of last night’s program.

Vying to win $20,000 contestant Serena Greenberg said she hoped to pay for her parent’s trip overseas so they could see their grandchildren.

“Your Dad’s not Jewish, is he?’’ McGuire asked.

“Yes,’’ replied Ms Greenberg.

“So you have a Jewish father and a Scottish mother,’’ McGuire responded. ``I reckon it would have been hard getting pocket money from them!”

a52eee00c5ce3d40fa5e58e1c67f1ba8

media_cameraEddie Mcguire’s joke about pocket money didn’t go down well with some. Picture: Mark Stewart
    The Anti-Defamation Commission, Australia’s leading civil rights organisation confirmed this morning it had received several complaints regarding the exchange.

Chairman Dr Dvir Abramovich said the comments were disappointing.

“While we appreciate the value of humour and give entertainers a lot of leeway, public figures need to show sensitivity and be careful not to traffic in age-old hurtful and demeaning stereotypes, especially those commonly associated with anti-Semitic myths,’’ Dr Abramovich said.

“Denigrating any group by implying that they are stingy and cheap is always inappropriate and never funny.’’

McGuire, who has been embroiled in several gaffes in recent years, told the Herald Sun it was not intended to be anything other than a joke.

“It was about Scottish people, of which I am one,’’ he said.

“It was a joke aimed at myself and my family. We had a laugh, we moved on.’’

But Dr Abramovich said such thoughtless language only reinforced harmful, pre-existing prejudices.

I am surprised that the producer chose to leave that remark in,’’ he said.

“And though he may not be aware of this, I will remind Eddie that it is often young people who the pay the price for such slurs by being taunted at school with crude, damaging smears. “The bottom line: such jokes are never acceptable.”

The Nine Network is yet to comment on the matter

A bit like how Abbott made John Howard seem like a beacon of humanity, Caro was certainly the lesser of two evils when compared to The Chief writer of the Herald Sun. Not sure who I'd want to become the heir apparent. I actually like Rohan Connoly, also, I like Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson as other candidates. Didn't Rohan Conolly retire from The Age though? These guys talk about footy rather than gossip columnists consumed by nauseating sanctimony with a pitch fork mentality. They also appear to have some integrity.

Also what about these storms! The Yarra and Marybinong set to flood, it's kind of exciting, hope people houses don't get washed away. Stay safe. :)
The Aussie sense of humour is dead.
And buried.

Boring. Non story in my view.

Though Ed will always have the smart Alec about him. He just can't help saying smart Alec remarks.

Just gets himself into hot water.

Typical Eddie. Stuck in the 70's.

Needs to get a new joke book. Ugly Dave Gray, Dick Emery or Benny Hill type humour just doesnt cut it these days. I'm guessing his favorite tv show is still Love Thy Neighbour.

Who didnt used to say "Jew Jump!!! when they saw a coin on the ground in the playground in the 70's? Cant say it now because its racist. Eddie hasnt really got the ability to move with the times.

But this latest Eddie episode is harmless in the grand scheme of things and nothing further should come of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i heard this joke about a biscuit- but I’m not telling it because it might be PC intolerant or it’s crumby

What is this world coming to???

Eddie McGuire faces backlash over comment during episode of Millionaire Hot Seat

Aaron Langmaid, Herald Sun
December 1, 2017 12:58pm
premium_iconSubscriber o
  • “Your Dad’s not Jewish, is he?’’ McGuire asked.

“Yes,’’ replied Ms Greenberg.

“So you have a Jewish father and a Scottish mother,’’ McGuire responded. ``I reckon it would have been hard getting pocket money from them!”

Chairman Dr Dvir Abramovich said the comments were disappointing.

“While we appreciate the value of humour and give entertainers a lot of leeway, public figures need to show sensitivity and be careful not to traffic in age-old hurtful and demeaning stereotypes, especially those commonly associated with anti-Semitic myths,’’ Dr Abramovich said.

“Denigrating any group by implying that they are stingy and cheap is always inappropriate and never funny.’’

Oh dearie me...Eddie sailing close to the wind again... but why does Dr Abramovich conclude only 'anti-Semitic' myths are special ??

Typical Eddie. Stuck in the 70's.

Needs to get a new joke book. Ugly Dave Gray, Dick Emery or Benny Hill type humour just doesnt cut it these days. I'm guessing his favorite tv show is still Love Thy Neighbour.

Who didnt used to say "Jew Jump!!! when they saw a coin on the ground in the playground in the 70's? Cant say it now because its racist. Eddie hasnt really got the ability to move with the times.

But this latest Eddie episode is harmless in the grand scheme of things and nothing further should come of it.

Are old jokes not PC anymore?

I can't keep up if what Eddie said was wrong.

Last edited:
Whoaah! IF you are related to Walshy I'm backing the f**k down now, comrade!

Friday hugs (but not handsy)
Dam that’s parts on me, Welsh heritage, it should have read.
I can look like walsh if up set, so l been told:)

It was a pretty tired old joke. Like a lot of Ed's schtick.

That said, this quote got me:

"Denigrating any group by implying that they are stingy and cheap is always inappropriate and never funny.’’

Who died and made Dr Abramovich the head of the comedy police?

I may be getting cranky as I get older, or maybe I've been listening to too much Bill Burr, but please don't tell me what to find funny.

"Denigrating any group by implying that they are stingy and cheap is always inappropriate and never funny.’’

Who died and made Dr Abramovich the head of the comedy police?
So according to him there should have been dead silence in the audience when Eddie made the joke? I haven't watched it but I'm assuming it would have got laughs or else they would have cut it from the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back