Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh FFS. Eddie made a standard pun that is now considered not ok. When did it become not ok? Was it just now, when Eddie made it? Yeah in this PC environment the standard stuff is now old hat and I have no problem with the need to move on and not denigrate specific groups. Still these are ever changing standards and they are asking us all to change our language, attitudes and standard joke lines. The news describes it as anti-semetic and focuses on this aspect when it is equally anti-scottish - a group which has also seen persecution historically on the basis of race. Should the news outlets be focused on for racist attitudes? Things are getting ridiculous if we try and hang Eddie for this one. Lets all learn, don't do it again and don't hang Eddie for it.

Are old jokes not PC anymore?

I can't keep up if what Eddie said was wrong.

I dont know if old jokes are PC, but old PCs are a joke.

250px-Schneider_Amstrad_PC_1512_DD_Transparent_BG.png

What the actual * are those weird looking things at the front???

I know somebody close to eddie.
Worked with him till recent.
This person was impressed with how much Eddie chose to work without a script.
He does his media commentments quite off the cuff.
(Rare in radio where all is usually staged)

I kinda am starting to wish that Eddie had a filter.
He seems to have lost a yard.

Last edited:

Oh FFS. Eddie made a standard pun that is now considered not ok. When did it become not ok? Was it just now, when Eddie made it? Yeah in this PC environment the standard stuff is now old hat and I have no problem with the need to move on and not denigrate specific groups. Still these are ever changing standards and they are asking us all to change our language, attitudes and standard joke lines. The news describes it as anti-semetic and focuses on this aspect when it is equally anti-scottish - a group which has also seen persecution historically on the basis of race. Should the news outlets be focused on for racist attitudes? Things are getting ridiculous if we try and hang Eddie for this one. Lets all learn, don't do it again and don't hang Eddie for it.

Why shouldn't he (we) not do it again?

I am finding it hard to understand what is wrong and right to say at the moment.

The fact people like Black_White lump the dancing girl gif with the Burkes & Winsteins of this world disturbes me.
The fact that Eddies (bad) joke isn't kosher anymore disturbes me.

I was taught very early that respect was (is) a very important trait to understand & exhibit. I always respected my elders and woman even when my 18 year old mates didn't.......I am not a follower by nature and I was very strong on the respect thing very early. I will be totally honest that my three kids don't get it even though I am trying very hard to teach them.

When I tell them I never spoke back to my parents they look at me like I have two heads.

R....E.....S....P......E......C.......T.

What does it mean to us now?

Stop flaunting your youth, you prancing pony!

In the olden days, when people watched their adult entertainments, that was where you inserted coins.

pssst....

for old time(r)s sake.

250px-Schneider_Amstrad_PC_1512_DD_Transparent_BG.png

What the actual **** are those weird looking things at the front???
I'd like to tell you but I don't want to offend anyone with erectile disfunction.

So according to him there should have been dead silence in the audience when Eddie made the joke? I haven't watched it but I'm assuming it would have got laughs or else they would have cut it from the show.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he meant that he personally never finds it funny.

But trying to control thought goes right along with the kind of mindset that tells you to condemn someone called McGuire for making a joke about being tight.

I would be described as "leftist" in a lot of my views, although I don't identify as such. But really, Eddie's father is Scottish. Eddie was just making a joke about stereotypes.

Some people need to lighten the hell up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems like a good spot to post this I think. A friend of mine has recently uncovered a very old team photo of what is believed to be the Collingwood football club. I'm talking the very early years of their formation. Anyone here that could help/confirm if it is infact a legitimate photo of the Collingwood football club and further to that any other details pertaining to who is in the photo and when it is roughly from?

I can PM/post a picture of the photo if someone thinks they may be able to help.

Thanks.

This seems like a good spot to post this I think. A friend of mine has recently uncovered a very old team photo of what is believed to be the Collingwood football club. I'm talking the very early years of their formation. Anyone here that could help/confirm if it is infact a legitimate photo of the Collingwood football club and further to that any other details pertaining to who is in the photo and when it is roughly from?

I can PM/post a picture of the photo if someone thinks they may be able to help.

Thanks.
Could you at the very least post it here?

Snidely Whiplash is this something you may be able to help with?

I read the HS article early this morning about the 2010 premiership reunion and I’m sure I saw a tweet from Dale Thomas with something like #notabucksparty which I thought was pretty poor. This seems to have disappeared now so hopefully someone put him straight. My recollection was tha Bucks was an assistant coach so did not deserve that snipe.

I read the HS article early this morning about the 2010 premiership reunion and I’m sure I saw a tweet from Dale Thomas with something like #notabucksparty which I thought was pretty poor. This seems to have disappeared now so hopefully someone put him straight. My recollection was tha Bucks was an assistant coach so did not deserve that snipe.
Thomas has turned into a snivelling wretch.

The amazing thing is when you look at those old photos, you know that every single person there is no longer alive.
Once young dreams, lives ahead of them. The future was beckoning.
Today.... long dead.
Somber truth.

But I still love those old photos

Some more dead people.
But good dead ones.
1896 Premiers VFA
One year before the VFL was created.

IMG_1807.JPG

And one of my very favourites of years past.
The mercurial Dick Condon

IMG_1806.JPG

Here it is.

cfc.jpg
I haven't seen that photo before; it looks like it might be Britannia who were a forerunner to Collingwood although the CFC on the footy is interesting as is one jumper having vertical stripes (middle row, third player).

This 1894 photo is the earliest available CFC team photo. A photo was also reportedly taken at our first match in 1892 with Collingwood wearing black and white, but it hasn't surfaced. The 1891 Britannia and 1896 Collingwood photos should help with names.

With regards to the Britannia Collingwood relationship there's mixed reports around it's extent with some reports stating Britannia disbanded completely to allow for the Collingwood club and others (generally older sources) showing a greater involvement. There's no doubt a connection of some sort exists though and I'm inclined to believe the earlier reports and publications.

http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/Collingwood+Team+Photos
Britannia_1891.jpg

britannia_18911-850x380.jpg

Collingwood_1994_-_1908_Carnival_Program.jpg

Collingwood_1896.jpg

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/britannia-football-club/
CFC Forever said:
Britannia is considered to be something of a precursor to the Collingwood Football Club, for it was a team that was based out of the suburb and was the first recognised team to play out of Victoria Park. The fact that it did not properly represent the suburb was a key factor that led to its eventual demise.

Two more years of discussions and stand offs ensued between parties from both sides. Support for a Collingwood team in its own right hinged on several factors, including the VFA’s refusal to demote weaker teams from the competition.

A potential upgrade of Victoria Park became an important factor in the fate of the two sides. There was no objection from the VFA to a proposal that would have seen Britannia admitted as a Collingwood team if Victoria Park was upgraded.

The result of the struggle to form a VFA club that was truly representative of Collingwood was Britannia’s dissolution following a meeting at the Grace Darling Hotel in early 1892. Britannia’s treasurer, committeemen and the majority of Britannia’s declared their allegiances to Fitzroy in favour of backing the uncertain future of the soon to be formed Collingwood Football Club.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6258361?searchTerm=collingwood vfa&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||dateTo=1892-12-01|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1888-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc
The Argus - June 1889 said:
A deputation from Collingwood, accom-
panied bv Messrs, Langridge and Beazley,
M. L. A.'s, waited on the association, and asked
that the Britannia Club, one of the leading
junior teams, should be admitted to the associa-
tion next season as a senior club, in order that
Collingwood might be represented in matches
for the football premiership. It was urged
that, as a leading junior club, the Britannia
was justified in making this claim. There
was now a ground in Collingwood fit for
either football or cricket with some little
improvements, which the deputation promised
would be carried out.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/6265954?searchTerm=collingwood vfa&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||dateTo=1892-12-01|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1888-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc
The Argus - July 1889 said:
Even in the event of this step being
taken it has been urged that other junior
clubs have better claims to admission as
seniors than the Britannia. But it is just as
well to recognise openly that the Britannia
club is merely a means to an end. If it were
Fix this textintended to play as a senior under its present
title, utter and complete failure might at
once be prophesied. A senior club to suc-
ceed must be identified both in name and
residence with some important suburb, and
within the local limit must have no
rival. That fact has been sufficiently
proved. Other than Collingwood, the
Brighton and Hawthorn districts would
appear to be the only centres likely to make
a claim on the V.F.A. for many years to
come. The North park, for example, is one
of the leading juniors, yet no one supposes
that the North-park has any chance of
becoming a senior unless it may one day
identify itself with Brunswick. Its destiny
at present seems to be to act as a recruiting-
ground for senior teams, and the fact that
the club has representatives in several of the
senior twenties is the best proof of its cosmopolitan
character. In any future consideration
of the matter it will be as well to
remember therefore that the claims are those,
not of the Britannia Club, but of Colling-
wood, and Collingwood will probably get its
chance only when Footscray is brought to
recognise the hopelessness of its position.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/140709106?searchTerm=collingwood vfa&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||dateTo=1892-12-01|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1888-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc
The Australasian - September 1891 said:
A letter was read from the committee of the Britannia, a junior club which has for years been striving for promotion to senior ranks. Last season an influential deputation of Collingwood residents waited upon the V.F.A. and urged the claims of their populous and thriving district to representa- tion on the association, at the same time naming the Britannia as the club in their midst from which the nucleus of a strong senior company could be ob- tained. The deputation further stated that the Collingwood City Council intended to lay out a considerable amount of money in the formation of a suitable ground. The difficulty of arranging matches (?), however, prevented members of the association acceding the request, and the deputa- tion was requested to let the matter stand over for a season. It would appear that even now there is some doubt as to whether Collingwood can be admitted into the charmed circle, though, to my thinking, and this opinion is shared in by the general public, there seems to be no just ground for longer excluding them. Possibly the difficulty of making suitable fixtures for 13 clubs would be greater than is ex- perienced with the 12 at present in existence, but after all, the haphazard method that has so long pre- vailed need not be interfered with, and Colling- wood will, I am sure, be only too happy to take its chance in the annual scramble for matches. In the meantime the Britannia Club has been notified that they are expected to send in a formal application, showing that they have complied with all requirements as to ground, membership subscription, &c, before the fourth Friday in Sep- tember, when the question of their admission will be considered and finally dealt with by the association. This simply means that Collingwood is to take no end of trouble and run pretty considerable risk, without any guarantee from the association that they will Fix this textsecure what they want.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8617318?searchTerm=collingwood vfa&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||dateTo=1892-12-01|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1888-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc
The Argus - Sept 1891 said:
Mr T. S. MARSHALL reported that he, in
company with Mr. Scott and Mr. Rannard,
had inspected the Victoria-park, the pro-
posed playing ground of the Collingwood
Club, and found it in all respects satisfactory.

The Collingwood Council, who were trustees
of the ground, had spent about £700 im-
proving it, and intended also to build a
stand. The Britannia club had been a pro-
minent junior for 15 years, and had only been
beaten by two points for the junior premier-
ship. Under all the circumstances he thought
the club should now be admitted to the
association under the title of the Collingwood
club.

Mr. W. DONOVAN seconded the motion.

Mr. D. SCOTT said the ground was the
Fix this textabsolute property of the council, therefore
there was no probability of the Collingwood
club being deprived of the use of it.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/140710124?searchTerm=collingwood vfa&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||dateTo=1892-12-01|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1888-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc
The Australasian - Oct 1891 said:
The rising- generation in the populous and thriving
district of Collingwood have been delighted to learn
that the application of the Britannia for admission to
the V.F.A., under the title of the "Colingwood
Club " met with the unanimous approval of delegates
at the last meeting of the august Parliament of
Victorian football. Mr. Marshall placed before the
meeting the report of the committee which had been
Fix this textappointed to inquire into the claims of the Britannia
Club, and showed that every- requisite condition for
admission had been fulfilled by that club.

EDIT: at a guess middle row 4th player could be Murphy, bottom row 1st player could be Proudfoot, 5th player McInerny.

Searching for the player at https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/ will often bring up a zoomed image of a player's face cropped from the 1891 photo especially if they didn't play many games for Collingwood.

eg. McInerny

51-Jack_McInerny-270x330.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back