Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was looking at the fixture and know the times/day are subject to change but look at the time scheduled for our game against Freo.

View attachment 525959
Thursday 23rd would be the first game of that round.
12am is the start of the day.

Black_White I can’t post (my choice) in the Bucks thread but I liked your post tonight.

It is spot on in so many ways without getting into it.

The only thing I disagree with is about the next three weeks.

Our team has been so consistent since round one and I would be shocked if that changed in the next three weeks.

Bucks has brought back a bit of fun to the Club and in turn to the supporters.......I am on the Bus as always.

Sit back and enjoy the ride mate.
Always enjoy the ride mate.
The highs and the lows. And I express my opinions and feelings robustly.
Some choose to take offence at that.
Just like Bux, I understand that I cannot control other people.....no matter HOW WRONG THEY ARE!

I have been following it on Thai TV, the military station that gets all the latest news from the scene. All 13 are in now. The kids are going to be very pissed off when they discover that FIFA was going to sponsor them to go the WC final but they have to spend the next week in hospital. They are craving solid foods but only the first group in are now eating normal food minus spice. Their family (group 1) could only visit behind glass windows but will be allowed to visit in gowns and caps but not come within 2 meters. Kids cannot watch TV. They were never told about the death of the navy seal and no doubt will be shielded from this bad news as long as possible. I reckon I know more about this episode than the Thais I talk to about it.

Good operation carried out efficiently at a time when water was at its lowest. Lots of farmers have had to allow their fields to be flooded by the drained water. Also lots of interesting side stories, including about the only boy able to speak and translate English when discovered by the English divers. Great respect for the divers, particularly the 2 English guys who ran the show but also Richard Harris, the Australian anesthetist/cave diver who assessed the boys and decided the order of exit. For the boys who are all from a border area, this will probably be the first time they have ever slept in their own bed with clean, white sheets. Interesting that the youngest, the 11 yr old, came out on the last day.
Such an awesome post, thanks TGG, I love you man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such an awesome post, thanks TGG, I love you man.
You know, I reckon you're alright too!

Seems also the main water pump broke down an hour after the last boy was taken out. The water level inside rose rapidly, forcing those collecting tanks and equipment inside to flee. Looks like the boys were rescued just in time.

As suggested already, the Australian doctor, Richard Harris, should get Australian of the year. He was holidaying in Thailand when he got an official invite from high up to join the rescue. The 2 English guys in charge head hunted him because of his unique combination of skills. I have read reports that he stayed with the boys for 3 days, but also that he dived and trekked into the cave each day of the rescue and only left after the last boy had gone. Don't know which is true, but what is certain is that he checked each boy before they were taken out, and no doubt was responsible for administering the sedatives each was given to prevent panic. Then at the conclusion of the rescue he received news that his father had died.

Last edited:
How awesome is it to have a good news story?

All the best to the families and Thai people..........well done.

Condolences to the Navy Seal that lost his life to save 13 people.
A fund was set up for his family and has so far received 3,600,000 baht.

Last edited:
One last interesting footnote to the cave rescue. At least three of the boys and the assistant coach would not have been going to the world cup final, nor unless Thailand changes its laws, will they be taking up Manchester United's invitation next year to visit. They are stateless, cannot hold a passport, and even have problems playing outside Chiang Rai in the soccer competition and can never become professional footballers.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1501574/coach-ek-the-unlikely-stateless-hero-of-cave-drama

I bought a new poker from the blacksmith at Sovereign Hill. It’s working a treat.
Old poker letting you down?

:eek:

The beer perhaps

:p

Probably still worth it

:D

Loved your posts with the information.

And the cartoon too.
My pleasure Saintly though I was unaware just how much world coverage this event has had. I got a cold my second day here which went straight to my chest. Two weeks later I am still weak and coughing so have have been confined indoors much of the time with plenty of time to follow events.

I was able to watch the Pies game using my mobile as a modem (the wifi in this bnb is terrible). Going to Cambodia Saturday where I will get the Australian international TV station and am hoping they broadcast the WC game. If not I always buy a local sim with data. I was surprised how little data the stream consumed.

Must be cold in Melbourne judging by jmac's fire post. It's actually not as hot as I thought it would be here and this morning was almost a bit cool as I discovered when I bounded outside this morning to catch public transport into town. The monsoon hasn't hit yet which helped the cave boys get rescued. As you would know the option of leaving them in the cave till October was realistically considered. Fortunately a window of opportunity was seized. I read somewhere that a heavy downpour can deposit up to 16 olympic pools worth of water in the cave over its 10 km length. Hence the flash flood the boys experienced after they entered, forcing them to seek shelter on a ledge some distance back.

The WC game is going to be a big test. I picked 9 last week and have picked the Pies again.

Last edited:
By the way, a foreign movie production company has already taken up residence in the cave area and is preparing to interview participants in the rescue and no doubt the kids asap. They are aware that they'll be regarded as overly opportunistic but believe it important to get a head start on all the other producers who will be fighting for movie rights.

Every second pop singer has already written and sung a song about the 13 cave kids and adult. Lot's of schools have done presentations on national TV about the 13, usually a combination of the visual and the verbal. Anything resembling a god or animistic spirit that might offer assistance in the search and rescue has been consulted through prayer and worship.

The governor of Chiang Rai who was the official face of the rescue effort through his nightly press conferences (actually ex because he has been transferred but has been so successful as spokesman that he was allowed to stay in his role till the episode concluded), has just publicly thanked Richard Harris and expressed his sympathy for the death of his father. My Thai is not good enough to understand all that he said, but I got the gist of it. Harris was central to the success of the mission.

The prime minister visited the first and second group of boys on Monday night - I assume he had to do it behind the glass window as the parents have had to do. Like politicians everywhere, he has not been backward in using this national drama to enhance his own profile. Interestingly, he is the one who explained the use of sedatives in response to a suggestion the boys would have to have been tranquilized to prevent panic.

"Who would chloroform them? If they're chloroformed, how could they come out? It's called anxiolytic something to make them not excited, not stressed," the PM explained.

I can't imagine what the lives of these boys is going to be like when they exit the hospital.

EDIT: Added BBC video - Harris gets a mention

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back