Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year’s indigenous jumper.

Very different from what we’ve seen in the past.

But very interesting.

View attachment 666490

Actually one of our better efforts.

I think it would have looked great without the large centre piece and just the design on the white stripes.

Actually one of our better efforts.

I think it would have looked great without the large centre piece and just the design on the white stripes.
That’s an interesting thought.

I have always been partial when it’s designed around the stripes.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...conds-before-fatal-crash-20190501-p51ixp.html

"A 21-year-old woman who hit and killed an elite Australian cyclist riding on a country road is accused of texting her boyfriend as she drove and sending a message 68 seconds before the fatal collision.

On the morning of December 22, 2017, Billie Rodda was involved in a text message conversation with her boyfriend and sent seven messages and received 10 during a half-hour drive, which ended when she knocked Jason Lowndes from his bicycle in Mandurang, near Bendigo, at 10.15am, prosecutors allege.

..."

One life lost and another potentially ruined. We need to put the damn phones away when we drive.

Never got to meet Jason but know his old man Gecko well after a fishing trip to Vanuatu with him a couple of years ago. Devastating for the family and the broader community.

That's 2 local Bendigo families I know that have lost family members to drivers using mobiles yet it seems people are just incapable of leaving them alone while they drive. Not sure what it'll take. Pedestrians these days aren't any better.

Never got to meet Jason but know his old man Gecko well after a fishing trip to Vanuatu with him a couple of years ago. Devastating for the family and the broader community.

That's 2 local Bendigo families I know that have lost family members to drivers using mobiles yet it seems people are just incapable of leaving them alone while they drive. Not sure what it'll take. Pedestrians these days aren't any better.

It's so sad Jack. :'(

I've been collected by a tradie riding the Kew Boulevard in 2010; I was riding in the bike lane. 3 months for the AC joint to come good, I was lucky.

I've been collected by a tradie riding the Kew Boulevard in 2010; I was riding in the bike lane. 3 months for the AC joint to come good, I was lucky.
Luckily all ok.
That’s the most important.

And you are now able to live your dream.
Being a mod.

I know we are in the era of the race to be first in journalism but would it hurt to stop and at least proof read the article first? Reading the below blurb I’m convinced that English is the second language of this author.
View attachment 666451

Some people call themselves journalists and some people are journalists. Almost all of the people writing for AFL are sports writers. Caroline Wilson would probably characterise herself as a journalist but I tend to think that calling her that, tends to undervalue people who actually some good for democracy, civic society and the general need to distribute information.

I was just watching the end of the 76ers game to see the result. Most basketball games - even playoffs - are like watching paint dry, but I like to see how ben simmons is doing. Anyway, one commentator said that the centre for the 76ers could be one of the best big men of all time. The commentator was a black guy and obviously an ex player. The other guy - they showed him - looked like george in seinfeld. Maybe a little less athletic. Anyway, this guy tee'd off .... "dont skip the beat!"... "dont jump over the stacks!"... something like that....He went right off.... I couldnt understand the sayings and i have no idea if they were sports related or just good ol american truisms... but geez it sparked up the commentary. He went wild. Brian Taylor could learn a trick or two...

Glad to you survived other than the AC. There will always be driver (and rider for that matter) error but effectively driving blindfolded doesn't improve those chances.

Hopeless isn’t it.

That said, never understood why Port didn’t use their prison bars jumper with teal trim or a teal stripe just above the top bar. Looks close to original and settles the black white matter of our jumper.

Then North Melbourne would have complained. Not that North are relevant anyway.....

Then North Melbourne would have complained. Not that North are relevant anyway.....
Can’t see how they could complain it’s teal trim.

Also Port started using the prison bars circa 1902.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see how they could complain it’s teal trim.

Also Port started using the prison bars circa 1902.

Was being facetious.

That said, Port Power started in 1994ish. Whet they called themselves in the previous competition (and still call themselves and what they wore/wear in that previous competition is only relevant to that competition. They have never worn prison bars as the Port Power in the AFL and its not part of their AFL history. The Port Magpies never left the SANFL!!

Petracca thought if he could hide under water that the Melbourne nightmare would go away

Was being facetious.

That said, Port Power started in 1994ish. Whet they called themselves in the previous competition (and still call themselves and what they wore/wear in that previous competition is only relevant to that competition. They have never worn prison bars as the Port Power in the AFL and its not part of their AFL history. The Port Magpies never left the SANFL!!
I know you were.

In total agreement.

Port Power are a real team.

SANFL teams can do as they please in their lesser league.

Petracca thought if he could hide under water that the Melbourne nightmare would go away
Scary stuff.

De Goey would have just walked on the water.

Was being facetious.

Quite right and this is what shits me about this whole debate every time it bobs up - Port chose to enter the AFL competition, there already was a club with a very, very similar strip in the competition they wished to join so they had to change and come up with an alternate. This has nothing to do with Collingwood and the AFL, it is not their strip in this league - they need to get over it. I applaud Eddie’s stance on this.

Was being facetious.

What a poorly researched article by Andrew McMurty.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...s/news-story/80786111ec9f26432932f5d605b3c778
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire is in the hot seat once again as the Magpies president fights to stop Port Adelaide from wearing their original guernseys in 2020.

McGuire has stood firm since Port brought up the plan to wear their original strip, which was black and white in a prison bar style, similar but closer together than the Magpies jumpers.
WRONG - their original jumper was blue and white hoops or half blue/half white.

Port Adelaide Football club was established in 1870 under the Magpies nickname but once granted an AFL license for the 1997 season, the club took on the Power moniker, adding silver and teal to the original black and white.

But the Power reserves still play in the traditional black and white as the Magpies.

Despite Collingwood being founded in 1892, the club owns the trademark to the black and white colours and the Magpies name.
It's WRONG to imply that Port wore black and white 22 years before Collingwood and that it's subsequently weird we own the trademark. Port wore a mix of blue/white, pink, magenta/blue up until 1901. Their black and white kit was introduced in 1902 when they were in a different competition. Collingwood had black and white first and have done so in the VFL/AFL since 1897 a century before Port entered that league.

Further for 5 years between 1923-1927 and 12 years between 1941-1952 (including jumpers given to them by Collingwood in 1951) Port ditched the prison bars for black and white stripes. Excluding a few heritage game in total that makes 72 years (48%) in their SANFL/AFL history where they haven't worn the black and white bars. In terms of just SANFL (1870-1996) there's a total of 49 years (38.6%) where they didn't wear the "traditional" black and white bars.

Last edited:
What a poorly researched article by Andrew McMurty.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...s/news-story/80786111ec9f26432932f5d605b3c778

WRONG - their original jumper was blue and white hoops or half blue/half white.

It's WRONG to imply that Port wore black and white 22 years before Collingwood and that it's subsequently weird we own the trademark. Port wore a mix of blue/white, pink, magenta/blue up until 1901. Their black and white kit was introduced in 1902 when they were in a different competition. Collingwood had black and white first and have done so in the VFL/AFL since 1897 a century before Port entered that league.

Further for 5 years between 1923-1927 and 12 years between 1941-1952 (including jumpers given to them by Collingwood in 1951) Port ditched the prison bars for black and white stripes. Excluding a few heritage game in total that makes 72 years (48%) in their SANFL/AFL history where they haven't worn the black and white bars. In terms of just SANFL (1870-1996) there's a total of 49 years (38.6%) where they didn't wear the traditional black and white bars.
Spot on barrackers.

Never ceases to amaze how poor basic research is done these days.
It’s actually pathetic.

But the media never let facts get in the way of a good rabble rousing.

Spot on barrackers.

Never ceases to amaze how poor basic research is done these days.
It’s actually pathetic.

But the media never let facts get in the way of a good rabble rousing.
Yeah, it's much easier to throw the toys out of the cot and have a crack at Eddie when one doesn't let factual history get in the way.

What was that horrid looking grey rags Port were wearing last night.

Looked awful.

And with dark numbers on a grey back.

Shocking.

Some history on Port/s adopting the black and white; fair to say there was a lot of passion towards the magenta and a strong desire to retain it.

The Register 27 Mar 1902
Evening Journal 27 Mar 1902
The annual meeting of the Port Adelaide Electorate Football Club, was held at the Railway Hotel on Wednesday evening.

A discussion took place on the question of the colours. It was mentioned that the magenta and blue jackets were very unsatisfactory to the play-ers, and that it was impossible to procure pro-perly dyed costumes. A proposal to submit the question to a committee for consideration was not entertained, and after a lengthy discussion it was decided to retain tho old colours.

The Advertiser 28 Mar 1902
On Wednesday evening the annual meet-ing of the Port Adelaide Football Club took place at the Railway Hotel.

A discussion took place concerning the question of the club's colors. It was argued that the pre-sent color faded rapidly, and black-and-white was suggested as a substitute. A majority, however, decided for the reten-tion of the magenta and blue.

Adelaide Observer 26 Apr 1902
Evening Journal 26 Apr 1902
The Port Club has decided to change its colours from magenta and blue to black and white. For some seasons past it has been difficult to obtain a costume which would retain the magenta dye for any length of time, and it was this difficulty that led the club to seek a change. A section of the club objected to the innovation on sentimental grounds, but the majority overruled them, and the players will from the opening match appear in a natty costume. I rather think I would have been on the side of those who desired to retain the magenta on sentimental grounds. The magenta banner has floated at the top after many a desperate battle. It has a distinctly Port association, and even if my costume was not so dainty as other teams I think I would have stuck to the old colour.

The Critic 26 Apr 1902
There is a chance, by the way, of the old club changing its colors and dropping the magenta, but I refuse to believe it.

The Register 29 Apr 1902
Evening Journal 29 Apr 1902
On Monday even-ing a special meeting of the committee was held at the Prince Alfred Hotel. Mr. W. G. Coombs presided. Permits were granted to... The Port Club re-gistered a change of colour from magenta and blue to black and white.

Chronicle 3 May 1902
The club's colors have been changed, the magenta-and-blue having been discarded for' black-and-white. The new costumes look exceedingly well. Objection was not taken to the magenta-and-blue, but it was found to be practically impossible to get a magenta dye to stand the South Australian weather.

The Advertiser 5 May 1902
The Ports appeared in their new costume of black-and-white. It much improves the ap-pearance of the team.

The Register 5 May 1902
The Ports had beaten the visiting club on the three occasions when conclusions were tried last season, and the local club's supporters were confident that the black-and-whites— erstwhile magentas— would again be victorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back