Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old style of team description

B.
HB

Etc is used because it’s simple on the eyes.

Essentially there’s about 7 defenders, 7 forwards and 8 on ballers of which some are key players like ruck, full forward.

The old style (still used) works as it’s simple to read.

The herald Sun have for a while placed the R line in the middle and I think it makes the team on paper look more muddled.

Ultimately the 22 is what counts.

8 on-ballers. That says it all.

It's surreal to have a sport where the official playing positions are at odds with/entirely irrelevant to the actual situation (i.e. the positions no longer exist). It's almost Monty Python-esque...

Can you think of any other sport which apes this?.

It's surreal to have a sport where the official playing positions are at odds with/entirely irrelevant to the actual situation (i.e. the positions no longer exist).

Can you think of any other sport which apes this? It's almost Monty Python-esque...

These days pretty much everyone has the running capacity of an old school on-baller. So if Steve Hocking wants to fix congestion and tackling numbers the only option is to increase the size of the grounds or lower the number of players on the ground which they will never do. When I grew up your position had a zone of territory you had to cover and if you got caught out of your zone and the ball went in it questions were asked, where were you?

Now it's just a structure at the bounce only. The game has changed phenomenally since the 1980's and 1990's.

These days pretty much everyone has the running capacity of an old school on-baller. So if Steve Hocking wants to fix congestion and tackling numbers the only option is to increase the size of the grounds or lower the number of players on the ground which they will never do. When I grew up your position had a zone of territory you had to cover and if you got caught out of your zone and the ball went in it questions were asked, where were you?

Now it's just a structure at the bounce only. The game has changed phenomenally since the 1980's and 1990's.
Only because they rotate.

Re the game - precisely my point. So why retain the defunct positions?

Anyway, it is what it is. AFL, not Aussie Rules.

there was a tv show on a particular player last night. i wont name him here because he's from another team and he doesnt play anymore. I suppose that I shouldnt really mention him because it might upset some people who want to make more money and get a new car and things and see the weekend and footy as a bit of a release. The last thing that i would want to do is to upset these people.

It's surreal to have a sport where the official playing positions are at odds with/entirely irrelevant to the actual situation (i.e. the positions no longer exist). It's almost Monty Python-esque...

Can you think of any other sport which apes this?.
Why would I worry what other sports do?

Quaint obscurities have their place.
At times.

Eg Golf.
When achieving better than par you get a negative score.

Only because they rotate.

Re the game - precisely my point. So why retain the defunct positions?

Anyway, it is what it is. AFL, not Aussie Rules.

They aren't really totally defunct. The territory they cover has expanded but they aren't a flock of sheep. Positions still define a role but it gets stretched over time. Like in basketball centres now shoot 3's, Grundy roves but at the core he's still a ruckman. Positions still have relevance and meaning.

Then there’s tennis scoring

15, 30 then why 40 not 45?

It was following a clock apparently- a crock o clock maybe we hence got 40, not quite there.

Then it’s love then deuce ...

i really dislike negative comparisons with other sports. I have some thoughts about other sports:
1. A cricket tournament decided after 3? months and 200 games ( well it seemed that way) on the basis that someone threw a ball and it hit someone's bat by mistake. Lets not even mention that after all these matches, they felt it was only necessary to give each team 6 balls to decide the whole tournament.
2. Soccer tournaments every 4 years being decided on players staging, on incorrect decisions by referees and even being decided on penalty scores which is akin to playing another sport to decide the result.
3. So-called football in the US where there are 10 seconds of play between several minutes of tv commercials
4. NBA seasons where no one is interested until the play-offs and then no one is interested until the last 2 minutes...

There's a lot of sports fans who bet on a number of sports and have favourite teams in every league etc etc etc etc. I dont want to comment on these people. Associated thought...people crow about how many members their teams have got. I realise money rules the world but I sometimes wish that half these members just walked off and found a new sport to tag on to, hipster like.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but seriously has anyone watched a game of football and thought there is too much tackling?

Steve Hocking has by the looks of it.

The quote says it all. Unsure of what the fans want but we the AFL want space. More space is probably what we'll get then.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but seriously has anyone watched a game of football and thought there is too much tackling?

Easiest way to reduce the number of tackles is to reward the tackler or call for a ball up immediately instead of letting the ball get caught in a maul with repeat tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if everyone is desperately in need of more space all we need to do is crack Steve Hocking's head open like an egg and we will have access to as much as we require.

Here’s an idea.

Leave the game alone!

no rule changes for three years, five years....

Last edited:
Holding the ball, blow the whistle quicker.
They did early season and the game got quicker. Now they wait and wait and wait.
Also, the opposition player hovering over the ball after a free is paid limiting the players access. Pay 50. Pay it every time and they’ll stop doing it, speedingup the game, allowing the team with the free to attack without being flooded.
Simple stuff really.

Change the interpretation so that players cant lay on top of the players on the ground trying to keep the ball in. These are the guys who making the game unattractive and they are rewarded with free kicks. Players on the ground should not be given holding the ball against them unless they are given an opportunity to get rid of it....except for one situation - where they pull the ball in. It should be an immediate free kick and probably no tackle required.

Change the interpretation so that players cant lay on top of the players on the ground trying to keep the ball in. These are the guys who making the game unattractive and they are rewarded with free kicks. Players on the ground should not be given holding the ball against them unless they are given an opportunity to get rid of it....except for one situation - where they pull the ball in. It should be an immediate free kick and probably no tackle required.
Way too sensible

World Swimming Championships South Korea.
Just disappointing we will not see any of this on FTA,Or even Kayo?
Was looking forward to seeing the American superstar Kate Ledecky up against our young swimmer Ariarne Titmus not to mention Sun Yang and Matt Horton and so many other events.

Was looking forward to seeing the American superstar Kate Ledecky up against our young swimmer Ariarne Titmus not to mention Sun Yang and Matt Horton and so many other events.
Try this.

The tit mouse is great value and a great nick name.

The frustrating part of our year.... This is a great year to win a grand final. No one is really standing out (I still think Cats will fall over). Spud teams like essendon and crows are in the top 8. If we can get home finals and win, we finish our season at the 'G.

The frustrating part of our year.... This is a great year to win a grand final. No one is really standing out (I still think Cats will fall over). Spud teams like essendon and crows are in the top 8. If we can get home finals and win, we finish our season at the 'G.
Last year was our opportunity.
Your spud team, Essendon, will probably beat us last round given current form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back