Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the ruckmen come in at a 45deg angle to a line across the ground so they are not running straight at each other. They are watching each other rather than the ball anyway. If they approach the fall of the ball with 90deg between them there is less chance of knee-knee contact and PCL injuries. Still bounce the ball if they want to.

Have the ruckmen come in at a 45deg angle to a line across the ground so they are not running straight at each other. They are watching each other rather than the ball anyway. If they approach the fall of the ball with 90deg between them there is less chance of knee-knee contact and PCL injuries. Still bounce the ball if they want to.
The game does not need this much tinkering!

There have been, what, two PCL injuries this season from ruck contests? Were there any last season? This is a totally insignificant problem that does not deserve so much attention. Just because it happened to one of our guys in an unlucky instance doesn't mean the rule needs to change.

With the frequency of syndesmosis injuries (much more frequent than ruckmen injuring their PCL), should we forbid chase-down tackles from behind? No! Because that would be absurd

There have been, what, two PCL injuries this season from ruck contests? Were there any last season? This is a totally insignificant problem that does not deserve so much attention. Just because it happened to one of our guys in an unlucky instance doesn't mean the rule needs to change.

With the frequency of syndesmosis injuries (much more frequent than ruckmen injuring their PCL), should we forbid chase-down tackles from behind? No! Because that would be absurd
Fair enough. I was responding to the discussion on what changes could be made rather than IF changes should be made.

Fair enough. I was responding to the discussion on what changes could be made rather than IF changes should be made.
Yeah, it's an interesting discussion, but I think Pendlebury is falling into a trap of letting anecdotal experience cloud his judgement. In regards to doing away with the bounce - it is only a plausible suggestion IF umpires began throwing the ball up to a consistent level. Without that consistency (of which there is none), it doesn't make sense to me for there to be change.

I am obviously a million miles off AFL rucking, but in my experience as a local-level ruck I have always liked the bounce. Maybe I'm archaic

I love the bounce and would hate to see it go.

The best argument I've heard though is that there are umpires who could potentially officiate the game to a very high standard, but are being held back by their inability to bounce the ball to a consistent standard. If so, that's a pretty compelling case.

I'd be fine with starting the game with a bounce to maintain the tradition. But then you've got umpires dedicating a bunch of time to a craft that one umpire does just once per game.

Sometimes there's just not a perfect solution to a problem.

Yeah, it's an interesting discussion, but I think Pendlebury is falling into a trap of letting anecdotal experience cloud his judgement. In regards to doing away with the bounce - it is only a plausible suggestion IF umpires began throwing the ball up to a consistent level. Without that consistency (of which there is none), it doesn't make sense to me for there to be change.

I am obviously a million miles off AFL rucking, but in my experience as a local-level ruck I have always liked the bounce. Maybe I'm archaic
And it's always worse when it's one of yours that's been injured, as you said.

The current ruck circle and rules were an attempt to reduce PCL injuries - I'd assume it was backed by data? The question is whether the rules have been effective or not.

The current ruck circle and rules were an attempt to reduce PCL injuries - I'd assume it was backed by data? The question is whether the rules have been effective or not.
Just anecdotally, it seems as if there are much fewer PCL injuries in the ruck

Pendles was suggesting removing the bounce because of inconsistency, not injury reduction.

Anyone who wants umpiring to improve should like the idea of removing the bounce. Umps can spend their time improving other umpiring skills rather than trying to perfect their bounce.

Pendles was suggesting removing the bounce because of inconsistency, not injury reduction.

Anyone who wants umpiring to improve should like the idea of removing the bounce. Umps can spend their time improving other umpiring skills rather than trying to perfect their bounce.
I agree on principle, if there was consistency to throws. But in my observations I don't think throws between umpires are consistent, just as boundary throw-ins are inconsistent dependent on the umpire.

I agree on principle, if there was consistency to throws. But in my observations I don't think throws between umpires are consistent, just as boundary throw-ins are inconsistent dependent on the umpire.
Inconsistencies in height of the throw-up or depth of the the throw-in are fine - that is for the rucks to judge. But a crap bounce can advantage one ruck over the other.

Inconsistencies in height of the throw-up or depth of the the throw-in are fine - that is for the rucks to judge. But a crap bounce can advantage one ruck over the other.
You don't think an inconsistent height of throw, or shallow throw-in can advantage rucks? I would disagree with that

You don't think an inconsistent height of throw, or shallow throw-in can advantage rucks? I would disagree with that
Now that you have revealed yourself as a dumb ruckman, your disagreement does not concern me. Even in an area where you should be a subject matter expert, your thoughts aren't important. I will DM you next time I need to get something from the top shelf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that you have revealed yourself as a dumb ruckman, your disagreement does not concern me. Even in an area where you should be a subject matter expert, your thoughts aren't important. I will DM you next time I need to get something from the top shelf.
Touche... touche...

See ball, tap ball, do NOT kick ball.

I believe the ANZAC Day game resulted in an all-time record audience for Foxtel for a regular season game.

"The 2022 ANZAC Day AFL match between Essendon and Collingwood has proven to be a huge ratings success for Channel 7 and Foxtel.
The historic ANZAC Day clash was watched by a national average audience of 1,353 million (free-to-air and subscription) as Collingwood secured an 11-point victory over Essendon in the gripping blockbuster at the MCG.

Free-To-Air coverage of the match on Channel 7 and 7Mate averaged 822,000 nationally, up 21% on the 2021 AFL series average.

Played in front of an 84,000-strong crowd, the match helped Seven secure a huge daytime network share of 47%.

The Anzac Day thriller was also hugely successful for the Fox Footy with a record number of fans tuning in across the platforms of Foxtel and Kayo.

Data obtained by TV Blackbox reveals the annual blockbuster ANZAC Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood achieved a national average audience of 531K across the broadcast and streaming platforms of Foxtel and Kayo.

The stellar ratings result means the match is now the highest ratings regular-season AFL game of all time for the Foxtel Group."
And on the back of that Fox have put the Kayo price up 10%!

Geezus……
Not bad enough that I have to worry about some iced up crackhead driving towards me.
And worry about those who want to legalise the weed so they can share the road with me…
Now THIS!

FMD…….

Geezus……
Not bad enough that I have to worry about some iced up crackhead driving towards me.
And worry about those who want to legalise the weed so they can share the road with me…
Now THIS!

FMD…….
Dont worry B/W Ill try and avoid you when Im driving

No doubt this has been mentioned somewhere before, but here goes...

The fact that the AFL website's official match preview for today's game starts with "Sportsbet's Nathan Brown and Matthew Richardson" discussing the odds is a bloody disgrace.

The AFL are, above all, custodians of the game. For them to intergate gambling into coverage of the game like this, presented to kids as though it's part of the game itself, is an abject failure on their regard.

The sooner public pressure forces them to backtrack on this sort of garbage, the better.

It's a legal activity and I'm all for it staying that way. But just like smoking and drinking it's an activity exclusive to adults that can result in harmful addictions and should be handled as such. Imagine an official preview that started with Marlborough's own Nathan Brown espousing the smooth, rich flavour of Marlborough tobacco and how it enhances a day at the footy.

No doubt this has been mentioned somewhere before, but here goes...

The fact that the AFL website's official match preview for today's game starts with "Sportsbet's Nathan Brown and Matthew Richardson" discussing the odds is a bloody disgrace.

The AFL are, above all, custodians of the game. For them to intergate gambling into coverage of the game like this, presented to kids as though it's part of the game itself, is an abject failure on their regard.

The sooner public pressure forces them to backtrack on this sort of garbage, the better.

It's a legal activity and I'm all for it staying that way. But just like smoking and drinking it's an activity exclusive to adults that can result in harmful addictions and should be handled as such. Imagine an official preview that started with Marlborough's own Nathan Brown espousing the smooth, rich flavour of Marlborough tobacco and how it enhances a day at the footy.

So what are the odds?

anyone got kayo now should watch celtic game...... fantastic singing... i wonder if they have choir practice. Game isnt worth watching so you can do some online stuff while you listen to the music...

Roast to our upcoming fixture. The 3:20pm time slot with work the next day is an abomination.

‘Home’ game at Marvel against a team that has that ground as their home is an abomination.

Playing GC again in only 7 weeks is an abomination.

Playing North only once when we finished second last is an abomination.

Playing Melbourne twice in the space of 8 weeks is an abomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back