Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a year it's been for me:

PAOK wins the Greek League
Liverpool has won the Champions League and are still a chance of winning the EPL championship
Collingwood sitting 2nd on the ladder and are 2nd favourites to win the premiership.

Unfbelievable re.
So what’s Liverpool actually won?

Nothing yet.

Manchester City to make all the Man U fans very very happy.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Robinson and Whateley are shamelessly based on the broadway play and tv sitcom - the odd couple. Gerard is the felix unger of the couple. The guy who does all the housework and keeps everything running. Robinson is supposedly there to provide the spur of the moment emotion. He's there to reflect the flea bitten drunk sprawled on the footpath pissing in his pants, shouting at the world, telling everyone the first thing that comes to his mind.

The problem is that Robinson - like all drunks - engages his mouth before he's really sure what he wants to say. He did it earlier in the show and he just waddled around in his brain, opening doors and finding nothing of value. He does seem to spark up when it comes to talking about alcohol and the stories associated with getting drunk. Other than that, I've never had a time when I found myself smiling, listening to him.

It's kind of peculiar that there are people on TV like Robinson and Caroline Wilson who are so underwhelming. Wilson is supposed to be on the thinking side of the odd couple, and I've never found her to ever be impressed with her. If you want the other side of the Odd Couple, the real template is someone like Mick Molloy who wisecracks his way through it all. Robinson is neither a thinker or smart arse. He's just there.

It's interesting to realise that when buckley joins whateley on SEN radio on their weekly bit, there's nothing lost from Robinson not being there. In fact, he actually used to clutter up the time on 360 with his waddling. In some ways, I'd like him get the flick but I understand that if he did he'd be in the gutter the following week or permanently in a bar with Steven May pissed as a newt. I cant wish him that.

The most effective summary of Mark Robinson I've read on bigfooty. Bravo.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
So what’s Liverpool actually won?

Nothing yet.

Manchester City to make all the Man U fans very very happy.

Come on Saintly. Let us have out moment. :)

Edit: changed it from "relax". It's an obnoxious thing to say to people and I'm trying to get out of the habit.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
C'mon man.. the Champions League.

Thank God we've got push overs in the final. It's over.

Pfewwwwww.
The light blues to cause pain good sir.

I’m a Man U fan, so I’m just teasing.

Remember re, there’s only one Gimp.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I don't really follow soccer that much but anyone coming back from a big goal difference to pip Barcelona and at a world famous cauldron like Anfield, you'd almost give one of your bollocks to say you were there to see it and experience the atmosphere...
The light blues to cause pain good sir.

I’m a Man U fan, so I’m just teasing.

Remember re, there’s only one Gimp.

This is Anfield Messi.. safe trip home..

20190508_192021.jpg 20190508_192038.jpg

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
The most effective summary of Mark Robinson I've read on bigfooty. Bravo.

Thanks I appreciate your feedback. In some ways I'm a little disappointed in myself for wasting 15 minutes of my life writing it. Hopefully, I'll move on to achieving something useful next week.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-boss-eddie-mcguire-makes-a-blue-20190508-p51lg7.html

Since Eddie McGuire says he was speaking ‘‘hypothetically’’ about the Carlton president approaching Alastair Clarkson while insisting that he spoke as media commentator rather than Collingwood president, here’s a couple of hypotheticals to consider:
1. It’s 2021 and Collingwood are struggling again. David Koch — speaking in his role as host of Sunrise — suggests that Eddie McGuire should have a coffee with Alastair Clarkson, effectively saying the Collingwood hierarchy should see if Clarkson is available. Koch also declares that Collingwood needs ‘‘a coach who gets results’’ while going on to praise Nathan Buckley for being a wonderful bloke and an ornament to the game, who also played for Port Adelaide once.
How would Koch’s comments be received? Would Eddie not come to the defence of Bucks, or tell Kochie to stick to his own Port patch? Perhaps he would turn the other ear piece and just say ‘‘David is entitled to his opinion, he’s paid to make comments in the media and I have no problem with him suggesting that our coach might be replaced by Clarkson.’’

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire suggested on breakfast radio on Monday that Carlton president Mark LoGiudice would be considering chasing four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson.CREDIT:TRIPLE M
2. It’s Sunday morning and Carlton — in defiance of form, talent, maturity and, well, logic — have upset Collingwood on Saturday afternoon. The Carlton leaders have embraced Brendon Bolton post-game, with Patrick Cripps telling the media that they were keen to show support for their embattled coach.

In the second scenario — which is about as likely as Eddie admitting he erred in his Bolton-Clarkson hypothetical — the Collingwood football department and especially Buckley would be entitled to ask Ed to cease making similar comments in future, particularly when the Pies are about to meet the team he’s just offered unsolicited advice on radio.
Carlton wouldn’t need to say anything.
On the Eddie scale of contentious comments, the suggestion that the Blues approach Clarkson wouldn’t make the top 20.
That said, Buckley and the Collingwood football department cannot have relished their president’s ‘‘hypothetical’’ ruminations on the coaching position at Carlton in the week that the Pies meet them.
Buckley made plain that he didn’t like the McGuire comments in his regular SEN spot with Gerard Whateley, albeit Bucks gave Eddie the benefit of what has long been the McGuire version of parliamentary privilege — that he wore his ‘‘media’’ rather than Collingwood hat. ‘‘I’m glad you said his media guise because if it was with his Collingwood hat on, it would be inconsistent with the way we want to carry ourselves,’’ said Buckley.

It’s striking that Carlton has chosen not to defend their coach from McGuire’s comments. Rival club bosses have been surprised the Blues haven’t come to Bolton’s defence, but their stance, clearly, is driven by a wish to avoid giving oxygen to this story.
Eddie’s comments were disrespectful, unnecessary and not helpful to either club that meet on Saturday, even if many Carlton fans would like to see the Blues follow his advice. The only party that gained, indeed, was those of us in the media who needed something to talk about.

My take: not clever by Ed, the waters between media personality & Collingwood pres are too often murky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
The price of Lamb keeps going up and up,
But i wonder why?
This once great meal for the working class people is becoming out of reach!

Simple supply and demand with so many herds downsized due to the drought.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sheesh that McGuire bloke can be a dill when he wants to... impeccable timing, not so much...
If anyone watches Millionaire Hot Seat or listens to his hot breakfast his go to motion is silly asides* with a “laugh” attached.

* as in poking some fun; he just defaults to that semi smarty comment; not sure he even realises he does it most of the time.
Hence occasionally he mucks it up.
But that’s just Ed.

listens to his hot breakfast
I did this morning for a change.
Breaking news, it's good news, after the news headlines Tom Browne will let us know Jade Gresham has signed with St Kilda for 4 years.
The others say, well he doesn't have to break it now and guess he, (ED) had his reporter hat on when he broke that.
I did laugh at them taking the piss out of him.
Then I, (again) came to the conclusion he has a big mouth and can't help himself.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-boss-eddie-mcguire-makes-a-blue-20190508-p51lg7.html

Since Eddie McGuire says he was speaking ‘‘hypothetically’’ about the Carlton president approaching Alastair Clarkson while insisting that he spoke as media commentator rather than Collingwood president, here’s a couple of hypotheticals to consider:
1. It’s 2021 and Collingwood are struggling again. David Koch — speaking in his role as host of Sunrise — suggests that Eddie McGuire should have a coffee with Alastair Clarkson, effectively saying the Collingwood hierarchy should see if Clarkson is available. Koch also declares that Collingwood needs ‘‘a coach who gets results’’ while going on to praise Nathan Buckley for being a wonderful bloke and an ornament to the game, who also played for Port Adelaide once.
How would Koch’s comments be received? Would Eddie not come to the defence of Bucks, or tell Kochie to stick to his own Port patch? Perhaps he would turn the other ear piece and just say ‘‘David is entitled to his opinion, he’s paid to make comments in the media and I have no problem with him suggesting that our coach might be replaced by Clarkson.’’

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire suggested on breakfast radio on Monday that Carlton president Mark LoGiudice would be considering chasing four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson.CREDIT:TRIPLE M
2. It’s Sunday morning and Carlton — in defiance of form, talent, maturity and, well, logic — have upset Collingwood on Saturday afternoon. The Carlton leaders have embraced Brendon Bolton post-game, with Patrick Cripps telling the media that they were keen to show support for their embattled coach.

In the second scenario — which is about as likely as Eddie admitting he erred in his Bolton-Clarkson hypothetical — the Collingwood football department and especially Buckley would be entitled to ask Ed to cease making similar comments in future, particularly when the Pies are about to meet the team he’s just offered unsolicited advice on radio.
Carlton wouldn’t need to say anything.
On the Eddie scale of contentious comments, the suggestion that the Blues approach Clarkson wouldn’t make the top 20.
That said, Buckley and the Collingwood football department cannot have relished their president’s ‘‘hypothetical’’ ruminations on the coaching position at Carlton in the week that the Pies meet them.
Buckley made plain that he didn’t like the McGuire comments in his regular SEN spot with Gerard Whateley, albeit Bucks gave Eddie the benefit of what has long been the McGuire version of parliamentary privilege — that he wore his ‘‘media’’ rather than Collingwood hat. ‘‘I’m glad you said his media guise because if it was with his Collingwood hat on, it would be inconsistent with the way we want to carry ourselves,’’ said Buckley.

It’s striking that Carlton has chosen not to defend their coach from McGuire’s comments. Rival club bosses have been surprised the Blues haven’t come to Bolton’s defence, but their stance, clearly, is driven by a wish to avoid giving oxygen to this story.
Eddie’s comments were disrespectful, unnecessary and not helpful to either club that meet on Saturday, even if many Carlton fans would like to see the Blues follow his advice. The only party that gained, indeed, was those of us in the media who needed something to talk about.

My take: not clever by Ed, the waters between media personality & Collingwood pres are too often murky.

The thing that has to be taken into account with Eddie is that he's from Broadmeadows. To me, that says it all. In some ways, you have to almost admire how he keeps his tongue under control, because his brain was programmed in the northern wasteland and he's never far away from it. The phrase "he'll never learn" is true in some respects, although I'd be more inclined to say he's not predisposed to being retrained.

The thing that has to be taken into account with Eddie is that he's from Broadmeadows. To me, that says it all. In some ways, you have to almost admire how he keeps his tongue under control, because his brain was programmed in the northern wasteland and he's never far away from it. The phrase "he'll never learn" is true in some respects, although I'd be more inclined to say he's not predisposed to being retrained.

One can take the boy out of Broadie, but you can't take Broadie out of the boy. Apropos in the case of Mr Mcguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back