Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it. Bucks was particularly brutal with his words and stained him as he bid farewell. It was inconsiderate at best.

You have no idea how Malthouse treated Bucks.......I think Bucks was being nice with his comments to be honest.

Respect works both ways.

I know MM handled the situation atrociously but now neither have covered themselves in glory. It's an ugly footnote to days which should be celebrated.

Sorry mate I disagree I have no time for Malthouse.........he made his own bed.

Truth is I haven’t even seen a replay of the 2010 GF and I lived a dream that day.

Sorry mate I disagree I have no time for Malthouse.........he made his own bed.

Truth is I haven’t even seen a replay of the 2010 GF and I lived a dream that day.

I can remember the good days when MM was very respected and he righted the ship which I'm grateful for. The way he departed and handed over was shocking but Buckley could have maintained his dignity over the situation and simply responded no comment when pressed on his feeling on him. That would have said everything and gave the media and MM no fodder. He did everything right until he took the bait in that interview and unloaded. Very unlike him.

I can remember the good days when MM was very respected and he righted the ship which I'm grateful for. The way he departed and handed over was shocking but Buckley could have maintained his dignity over the situation and simply responded no comment when pressed on his feeling on him. That would have said everything and gave the media and MM no fodder. He did everything right until he took the bait in that interview and unloaded. Very unlike him.

Let’s agree to disagree on this one.

Personally I think Bucks has been too conservative on this. The truth will set you free.

Ash Barty congratulations

In another post you said that no one thought Buckley was in the wrong. I beg to differ. If we go back to the threads in here and public opinion at the time and afterwards when it was still raw, there were plenty who thought Buckley was devil. There weren't that many reports about the way he was treated during the two years and I know for a fact that a few journos had a bit more to disclose. Holding off on the dirt of MM may have served two purposes.

1) A coaching great being the sacrificial lamb so that a Collingwood playing great can be fast tracked into the coaching job is a story that can be aimed at slamming Collingwood and Ed. Laying even part of the blame on MM for the 'bloodshed' that followed doesn't help the Evil Collingwood and FIGJAM narrative.
2) MM was still in the game in the media and there was always a chance that he'd get another coaching gig. We have all seen his petulant behaviour towards journos he doesn't like. I wouldn't be surprised if journos decided that some access to MM was better than stuff all. Imagine what MM would have been like towards journos or media outlets who questioned his professionalism and character during the time of the succession plan and afterwards.

As for Buckley maintaining his dignity? He was stripped back to bare metal during his first few years by anyone with an axe to grind or a story to sell. From a media and opposition perspective, it fit in very well with the FIGJAM narrative. It even had an effect on the way the supporters viewed him and the club.
I'd argue that finally coming out and saying "Nah * it, I'm done taking all of the heat for the mess" is a way of restoring some of the dignity lost during the whole episode. Slowly over the years, Buckley has opened up more about his thoughts on the games the media plays and now he has finally called out MM who in the name of vengeance, played games with Collingwood and the media. Taking hits for the team is overrated and it didn't help Buckley much in the first few years. This won't hurt him and I suspect that quite a few in the AFL world are nodding their heads and thinking "It's about time".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Help needed!

Does anyone know why there is a lot of white space after my posts? I dont put it there. If you look at the above posts, some posters have the same problem while others dont.

Its not a biggie, but very annoying.

Last edited:
Help needed!

Does anyone know why there is a lot of white space after my posts? I dont put it there. If you look at the above posts, some posters have the same problem while others dont.

Its not a biggie, but very annoying.
Not really much help but I noticed that the ones without the white space have a signature in their post, try it and see if changes.
Edit: I don't have a signature and no white space so my suggestion is wrong.:(

i was reading about Kevin Durant in the NBA - btw a very strange name for a basketballer. I was pondering on whether he should take the risk of returning for the finals. On one hand, he is risking his career, as we all know about the long-term problems of calf injuries for older sportspeople. However, on the other hand, he could earn himself millions in the future, trading on the "saviour effect" of coming back and turning around the fortunes of his team.

I was wondering what choice I would make. Would I say to the team that I just dont feel up to it, even when I had recovered. The truth is, of course, that the team owners would ditch him in 2 minutes if he does come back and spark long term calf problems....

I would tend to tell them that I'm not up to it. I think I read somewhere that he's on the market at the end of the year and it's too great a risk.

i was reading about Kevin Durant in the NBA - btw a very strange name for a basketballer. I was pondering on whether he should take the risk of returning for the finals. On one hand, he is risking his career, as we all know about the long-term problems of calf injuries for older sportspeople. However, on the other hand, he could earn himself millions in the future, trading on the "saviour effect" of coming back and turning around the fortunes of his team.

I was wondering what choice I would make. Would I say to the team that I just dont feel up to it, even when I had recovered. The truth is, of course, that the team owners would ditch him in 2 minutes if he does come back and spark long term calf problems....

I would tend to tell them that I'm not up to it. I think I read somewhere that he's on the market at the end of the year and it's too great a risk.

So he ends up getting up for today, and breaks down nastily after only playing about 10 minutes. Didn't miss a single shot from 3 point range while he was out there. He probably makes just enough impact in that burst considering his team ends up winning by just 1 point to extend the series to a game 6.
Seems to have earned some respect today from sports fans all around the world.

So he ends up getting up for today, and breaks down nastily after only playing about 10 minutes. Didn't miss a single shot from 3 point range while he was out there. He probably makes just enough impact in that burst considering his team ends up winning by just 1 point to extend the series to a game 6.
Seems to have earned some respect today from sports fans all around the world.

Yeh I saw that. I didnt really consider that scenario. I suppose the situation wasn't as dramatic as I said initially. It was only a torn calf muscle. A serious hamstring injury might have been more long term. And he certainly gained a lot of slaps on the back for his efforts. I thought it was easter sunday...

Along with The Mayne’s, they are having a girl as well.

Happens in threes they say Soups......did you want to tell us something? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back