Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went out for a coffee this morning. Listening to the ABC in the car - Perth - and Fremantle people calling up and saying Ross should be sacked. Fyfe is not a good captain. etc etc. Reading the local West Australian over coffee. Lots of sack Ross stuff in it. etc etc.

Interesting to note that the paper ran a prominent column detailing a number of complaints from no-names from the internet. Not prominent former WA footballers but just local Joes who griped on the net. Jim James from Innaloo says Ross should be sacked etc etc etc....

This is news? This means something? I could find a dozen people online who have said that ET has visited earth.

Funny thing is that about half a dozen weeks back they were calling Ross Lyon a genius. I dont read the West much, being the mouthpiece of the rich, but I'm sure they assembled a number of opinions of people off the net, heaping praise on Ross. I'm sure some idiot wanted to lock in Ross for the next half century.

Has everyone lost their minds?. I know i have.

Gold Coast asking for the number one draft pick. I’m happy for this to happen on the condition that the club is relocated to Tasmania.
It’s a joke that they think they can ask for a hand out. And guess what? I bet the AFL give them pick 1. An 18 year old kid isn’t going to help them.

It’s a joke that they think they can ask for a hand out. And guess what? I bet the AFL give them pick 1. An 18 year old kid isn’t going to help them.
The AFL will give them what they want. They have to, otherwise they would have to admit that having a team on the Gold Coast is a huge mistake.

Euthanasia is a valid concept for GC.

Just kill it dead.

Nobody cares about them.

Euthanasia is a valid concept for GC.

Just kill it dead.

Nobody cares about them.
It's obviously a vastly different competition now to what it was back in the old days (when clubs could get by just running the odd chook raffle!), but it took Hawthorn until their 33rd year (1925-57) before they played finals for the first time.

Whatever it takes to get Gold Coast going, it will have to be done. They get decent enough crowds at Carrara as it is, and when they can finally start winning games and moving up the ladder, hopefully a few more locals will get behind them. The AFL no doubt considers it vital that there's two teams in both NSW and Queensland, and a game played in those states (usually) every week. The Suns have some very fine young talent on their books already (e.g. King, Lukosius, Rankine - unfortunately Rankine hasn't played yet due to injury), and getting a couple more very early picks could be just what they need to get them going at last. They have to stop losing quality players to other teams, so if the team can start improving it just might be enough incentive to keep this latest crop of young prospects happy.

If my team was near the bottom and in line to be pushed back a spot (if such an early priority pick was granted) in the draft I wouldn't be too happy, but the overall good of the competition has to come first, so I think it really is time they got serious about helping Gold Coast improve.

Last edited:
It's obviously a vastly different competition now to what it was back in the old days (when clubs could get by just running the odd chook raffle!), but it took Hawthorn until their 33rd year (1925-57) before they played finals for the first time.

Whatever it takes to get Gold Coast going, it will have to be done. They get decent enough crowds at Carrara as it is, and when they can finally starting winning games and moving up the ladder hopefully a few more locals will get behind them. The AFL obviously considers it vital that there's two teams in both NSW and Queensland, and a game played in those states (usually) every week. The Suns have some very fine young talent on their books already (e.g. King, Lukosius, Rankine - unfortunately Rankine hasn't played yet due to injury), and getting a couple more very early picks could be just what they need to get them going at last. They have to stop losing quality players to other teams, so if the team can start improving it just might be enough incentive to keep this latest crop of young prospects happy.

If my team was near the bottom and in line to be pushed back a spot (if such an early priority pick was granted) in the draft I wouldn't be too happy, but the overall good of the competition has to come first, so I think it really is time they got serious about helping Gold Coast improve.
You’re being sensible.

If I had to plan for their future success, id certainly set their young players as the foundation.

I’d change their jumpers to make it a more classic look.

Support their coach, build and step forward year on year.

Any extra picks in the draft should come after the first round in my view.

You’re being sensible.

If I had to plan for their future success, id certainly set their young players as the foundation.

I’d change their jumpers to make it a more classic look.

Support their coach, build and step forward year on year.

Any extra picks in the draft should come after the first round in my view.
It will be interesting to see how Tony Cochrane fares with his rather aggressive approach! Throwing around comments like "I will become a 6000-pound gorilla on this" just may backfire! He's not exactly known for being subtle, and he is probably seen as being not that much of a "football person". Still, I think Gold Coast have a good case for the (very) early pick this time. They were given something rather half-arsed last year and it hasn't made any difference to their situation.

While people will still find things to whinge about (low-scoring, crowd behaviour etc.), the competition is in incredibly good shape. We had 5 games in this last round with crowds of 50,000+. While I haven't bothered checking too thoroughly, I would be staggered if that isn't an all-time record. Carlton vs. Melbourne (17th vs. 16th) drew over 55,000. That to me is quite astonishing. We are seeing that teams well down the ladder can beat those at the top (North Melbourne may well be the in-form team of the moment, yet they're sitting 10th!), there are so many upsets and so many close games. Even Carlton are showing genuine signs of improvement!! In terms of the strength of the competition it is probably in the best shape it's been in, at least in the modern era.

I think in this case the AFL needs to be generous (and the other clubs grin and bear it), and help get the Suns firing at last!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL will give them what they want. They have to, otherwise they would have to admit that having a team on the Gold Coast is a huge mistake.

Why will the AFL just give them what they want? They wanted a priority pick last year as well and all they got was priority access to a couple of VFL types.

Why will the AFL just give them what they want? They wanted a priority pick last year as well and all they got was priority access to a couple of VFL types.
What’s the alternative?

What’s the alternative?

I think they've got enough quality kids, added 9 1st round picks in the last 3 drafts (Bowes - 10; Brodie - 9, Scrimshaw - 7, Ainsworth - 4, Powell - 19, Lukosius - 2, Rankine - 3, King - 6, McLennan - 23). I'd be ecstatic if we'd added 1/2 of them. I think they need some reliable senior role players to support the development of those kids. Maybe an end of 1st round pick that they have to trade to bring in someone like that.

I had a weird dream last night.

For some reason I dreamed that Darcy Moore was working as a jockey during the summer and was doing quite well.

In the dream I kept wondering how in the hell a bloke who is 2 metres tall and weighs over 100kg could get down to the weight required to ride in the races.

I need Saintly Viewed to interpret this dream for me.

For some reason I dreamed that Darcy Moore was working as a jockey during the summer and was doing quite well.

In the dream I kept wondering how in the hell a bloke who is 2 metres tall and weighs over 100kg could get down to the weight required to ride in the races.

Orientation or location of your belly-button lint statuette is clearly not right, throwing off your feng shui.

Moore will ride Kennedy like a banshee.
He’ll be the darling of our race to the Cup.

Possibly a Jumps Jockey and that is one weird dream Kirby

I barely dare ask but...was there a pony involved?

Orientation or location of your belly-button lint statuette is clearly not right, throwing off your feng shui.

I can recalibrate or replace your belly button lint sculpture for a suitable fee.

I accept carrots, sugarcubes, oats, belly button lint, Swiss francs, or tasteful leather gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back