Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In R21 1991, we beat Carlton in the U19s 47.33.315 to 1.7.13, a staggering (and beautiful!) 302 points.

is anyone across any details on who played, goalkickers etc? it was the last year of u19s and we went on to lose the GF to NM. Presumably Sav Rocca played in the Carlton game and I recall Sam Pang saying he got overlooked for the GF but may have played in that game also.
Is that why Pang appears to hate us?

In R21 1991, we beat Carlton in the U19s 47.33.315 to 1.7.13, a staggering (and beautiful!) 302 points.

is anyone across any details on who played, goalkickers etc? it was the last year of u19s and we went on to lose the GF to NM. Presumably Sav Rocca played in the Carlton game and I recall Sam Pang saying he got overlooked for the GF but may have played in that game also.
From the Rd. 24 Football Record:
1607741942072.png

I think that's 19 players named, so fair chance Pang didn't play. Shayne Bennett went on to play MLB in America.

Under-19s Players L-Q | Collingwood Forever (collingwoodfc.com.au)
1607742125786.png

Grand Final Record - Collingwood U19's squad:
1607742475062.png
Grand Final:
1607742999480.png

Last edited:

33 behinds geezuz!

From the Rd. 24 Football Record:
View attachment 1027066

I think that's 18 players named, so fair chance Pang didn't play. Shayne Bennett went on to play MLB in America, I believe.

Under-19s Players L-Q | Collingwood Forever (collingwoodfc.com.au)
View attachment 1027067

Grand Final Record - Collingwood U19's squad:
View attachment 1027068
Thanks for the quick response. Given the score i thought someone may have snared 20 or more. Looks like only 2 of those in GF list, from what i can remember, went onto play AFL.

Thanks for the quick response. Given the score i thought someone may have snared 20 or more. Looks like only 2 of those in GF list, from what i can remember, went onto play AFL.
Yes, looks like only Rocca and Hassall, though Anthony McGregor played senior football for Fitzroy. So a surprisingly low number. North Melbourne's Grand Final team/squad had Archer, McKernan, Damien Hardwick, Craig Ellis (Bulldogs) and quite a few others who played senior football for someone.

Yes, looks like only Rocca and Hassall, though Anthony McGregor played senior football for Fitzroy. So a surprisingly low number. North Melbourne's Grand Final team/squad had Archer, McKernan, Damien Hardwick, Craig Ellis (Bulldogs) and quite a few others who played senior football for someone.
We certainly lost something with the demise of u19s and then then reserves. I guess that would have been the era of reduced list sizes following that. As you mentioned the record, i looked at one a few weeks earlier (still have most) when we beat Melbourne and Carlton U19s beat Essendon so I guess they may have had few regulars that week.

We certainly lost something with the demise of u19s and then then reserves. I guess that would have been the era of reduced list sizes following that. As you mentioned the record, i looked at one a few weeks earlier (still have most) when we beat Melbourne and Carlton U19s beat Essendon so I guess they may have had few regulars that week.
Yes, some mighty tough decisions would have had to be made at the end of 1991 for clubs to work out who (of the underage players) they were going to keep, as there must have been a limit to how many of them could be listed. I think players as young as 14 were able to be kept, but not totally sure about that age. Plenty of good ones would have got away from clubs at that time - e.g. I'm pretty sure that Leppitsch was tied to Hawthorn but they let him go.

I had seen that Carlton had won that Essendon game a few weeks prior to playing us, but this is in the Rd. 23 Record:
1607744802345.png
Rd. 22 Record:
1607744955176.png
So they were having a bad patch!

Edit: Looks like Pang wasn't too close to making the side for the GF:
1607745824480.png

For anyone not aware but interested in such things, you can view/download a copy of the Football Record (from 1912-2018) via SLV online: Digitised collections — find & browse (slv.vic.gov.au)

Last edited:

The best part of going to the footy was watching the Under 19's and then the reserves, topped of with watching the seniors.

Ive always been taught, and called them Snot Blocks.
Does not take away the creamy custardy deliciousness in any way shape or form.
They were always my Dad’s favourite but I never heard him call them that

Yes, some mighty tough decisions would have had to be made at the end of 1991 for clubs to work out who (of the underage players) they were going to keep, as there must have been a limit to how many of them could be listed. I think players as young as 14 were able to be kept, but not totally sure about that age. Plenty of good ones would have got away from clubs at that time - e.g. I'm pretty sure that Leppitsch was tied to Hawthorn but they let him go.

I had seen that Carlton had won that Essendon game a few weeks prior to playing us, but this is in the Rd. 23 Record:
View attachment 1027084
Rd. 22 Record:
View attachment 1027085
So they were having a bad patch!

Edit: Looks like Pang wasn't too close to making the side for the GF:
View attachment 1027086

For anyone not aware but interested in such things, you can view/download a copy of the Football Record (from 1912-2018) via SLV online: Digitised collections — find & browse (slv.vic.gov.au)
Thanks - wasnt aware the records were online. Its great to know. And yes the wheels certainly fell of that carlton team. And a couple of future pies in that hawks team i think: Scott Crow and John Barnett.

As for Pang he always jokes he was left out so he could be fresh for the replay if there was a draw. Only played 6 games from that link u sent earlier so makes sense he wasnt close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks - wasnt aware the records were online. Its great to know. And yes the wheels certainly fell of that carlton team. And a couple of future pies in that hawks team i think: Scott Crow and John Barnett.

As for Pang he always jokes he was left out so he could be fresh for the replay if there was a draw. Only played 6 games from that link u sent earlier so makes sense he wasnt close.
Phillip Murton is another of those Hawk U19's who ended up at Collingwood a few years down the track, though he only played Reserves for us, having played Seniors at Hawthorn.

As for the Football Record being online, it's a fantastic resource for sure. They were made available usually pretty soon after they'd been released, but all that changed once "Hutchy" got his hands on it, and from (and including) the 2018 Grand Final edition haven't been made available. He obviously is in it to make money, but I can't see why an issue that's two years old now can't be on the site!

Very conflicted on this one.
While there is no doubt he has done the wrong thing, and must be prosecuted, I wonder if he would have been remanded in custody if he was not Aboriginal?

Very conflicted on this one.
While there is no doubt he has done the wrong thing, and must be prosecuted, I wonder if he would have been remanded in custody if he was not Aboriginal?
I'm not sure that has anything to do with it? More likely that he's being punished as its the second time he has breached quarantine in WA on top of doing the same in Qld.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with it? More likely that he's being punished as its the second time he has breached quarantine in WA on top of doing the same in Qld.
Besides, he is not just any aborigine, he is an AFL player. I think he is too high profile to be jailed purely on the basis of his indigenous background.

Well, I'm not so sure.

who's that? Testing my memory, Carlton captains who were premiership players of recent times...

Need to dig up those old sepia prints. Might be something on microfiche at the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back