Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is genuinely in need of care, I hope he gets it and will be OK.
It may also be a handy way of excusing his wrongs and getting him out of the spotlight.
Could well be.

There was a post yesterday about how successful those that wore the #28 were. I did a bit of Googling and found the all-time Collingwood players list. I thought I'd check my Uncle's stats. I was surprised to find he was the 7th youngest to debut at 16 years 351 days. Unfortunately he did his knee later and his career was over before he turned 21. Guy Moore was his name, RIP.
I wish I could claim that a relative of mine had played for the club! He must have been unlucky in life (just 45 when he died), as he was in his football career.
1610598043834.png
Bill Twomey was actually 17 at that time, so they got that bit wrong!

1610594769858.png

1610595929888.png
He did manage a couple of Reserves games at some stage of that year, but perhaps he was still restricted to some extent, as he never played senior football for the club again (after Rd. 3).

1610598451885.png

He made/attempted a comeback with Preston in 1952:
1610598547413.png

1610598790187.png

VFA Project has him playing the Rd. 1 1952 game for Preston, but nothing after that: The VFA Project
He managed a goal in that game, but wasn't in the team the following week, so that may have been his last game?

AFL Tables - All Time Player List - Collingwood
1610593408935.png
I'm pretty sure this (AFL Tables) says he was the 11th youngest to debut for the club. For some reason it doesn't sort them in (quite) the correct order on debut age.

Your uncle obviously had plenty of ability, as he once booted 10 goals in a Reserves game (1947) and 5 in a crucial late-season (League) game against Melbourne. The team only managed 8 goals and lost, helping the Demons on their way to what ended up being one of the more extraordinary Premiership wins ever!

Edit: I just remembered that after some research into the matter and a discussion with the folks at the AFL, the DOB of Des Negri was changed (to 15/11/1923) a few months back, so he's no longer anywhere near the top of that list (debuting as an 18-year-old)! Guy Moore should now be the 10th youngest debutant for Collingwood! AFL Tables hasn't caught up with this, but it's been changed on Collingwood Forever, AustralianFootball.com and Wikipedia.

Last edited:
I wish I could claim that a relative of mine had played for the club! He must have been unlucky in life (just 45 when he died), as he was in his football career.
View attachment 1040431

View attachment 1040407

View attachment 1040417
He did manage a couple of Reserves games at some stage of that year, but perhaps he was still restricted to some extent, as he never played senior football for the club again (after Rd. 3).

View attachment 1040437

View attachment 1040438

View attachment 1040440

VFA Project has him playing the Rd. 1 1952 game for Preston, but nothing after that: The VFA Project
He managed a goal in that game, but wasn't in the team the following week, so that may have been his last game?

View attachment 1040398
I'm pretty sure this (AFL Tables) says he was the 11th youngest to debut for the club. For some reason it doesn't sort them in (quite) the correct order on debut age.

Your uncle obviously had plenty of ability, as he once booted 10 goals in a Reserves game (1947) and 5 in a crucial late-season (League) game against Melbourne. The team only managed 8 goals and lost, helping the Demons on their way to what ended up being one of the more extraordinary Premiership wins ever!
Fantastic, thank you so much. He was only 6ft but I remember he seemed like a giant to me as a young tacker.

Fantastic, thank you so much. He was only 6ft but I remember he seemed like a giant to me as a young tacker.
Please note the edited bit to my post from up the page a few spots, as it confirms that the DOB of Des Negri was altered recently (in the AFL's records), leaving Guy Moore in what should now be 10th spot (not 11th) on the list of all-time youngest Collingwood debutants!

View attachment 1040431

View attachment 1040407

View attachment 1040417

View attachment 1040437

View attachment 1040438

View attachment 1040440

View attachment 1040398

Edit: I just remembered that after some research into the matter and a discussion with the folks at the AFL, the DOB of Des Negri was changed (to 15/11/1923) a few months back, so he's no longer anywhere near the top of that list (debuting as an 18-year-old)! Guy Moore should now be the 10th youngest debutant for Collingwood! AFL Tables hasn't caught up with this, but it's been changed on Collingwood Forever, AustralianFootball.com and Wikipedia.
Thanks again. Knee cartilages must run in our family as I had both removed from my right knee when I was 21.

Is this you taking a walk GG?

That's bizarre B_W! I have never seen so many magpies together in a flock and these birds do look rather intimidating! My guys are again visiting as a pair in the morning for food and are obviously still feeding the baby, but there is only ever two of them! The largest group I have seen in this area is in Eildon street which runs behind Fitzroy St where a group of maybe 6 magpies hang out together, but never have I seen such large and menacing numbers as in this video.

That's bizarre B_W! I have never seen so many magpies together in a flock and these birds do look rather intimidating! My guys are again visiting as a pair in the morning for food and are obviously still feeding the baby, but there is only ever two of them! The largest group I have seen in this area is in Eildon street which runs behind Fitzroy St where a group of maybe 6 magpies hang out together, but never have I seen such large and menacing numbers as in this video.
Tippi Hedren is having conniptions after seeing that!

So he/Hawthorn have engaged a public relations firm?
First action is to put the client into a sympathetic situation.
Call me cynical, but I’ve seen this many times before.
I was cynical with Beam's mental health claims and am equally so with Patton's. It is all too easy to masquerade unsavory or predatory personal habits as mental health issues and attempt to win public sympathy rather than accept responsibility for poor behavioural traits and choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was cynical with Beam's mental health claims and am equally so with Patton's. It is all too easy to masquerade unsavory or predatory personal habits as mental health issues and attempt to win public sympathy rather than accept responsibility for poor behavioural traits and choices.
i had this argument with a mate of mine. Given how much cynicism their is around mental health what happens if the mental illness is real? i will always give the person who says they have the mental issues the benefit of the doubt, unless they have caused some heinous crime because in the end mental health is not something to play around with, its just as dangerous as any cancer or heart disease

i had this argument with a mate of mine. Given how much cynicism their is around mental health what happens if the mental illness is real? i will always give the person who says they have the mental issues the benefit of the doubt, unless they have caused some heinous crime because in the end mental health is not something to play around with, its just as dangerous as any cancer or heart disease
No doubt there are real mental health issues in the community.
But I remain cynical when highply paid AFL players, who do more psych tests before recruitment and when changing clubs, than you or I would see in our lifetimes Suddenly have a mental health issue.
It appears only when backed into a corner, by their own heinous actions, that these health issues surface.
Im cynical because experts have never raised these concerns in all the years the player is under scrutiny.

Didn't Dayne Beams commit a heinous crime?! What else could you call sitting on the sidelines pursuing a pseudo art career while contracted to play for the greatest team in the land?!

Former pies VFL player Marty Hore... who twice featured in the VFL team of the year... has done his ACL. That’s after missing all of last year with injuries.

Sadly for him, I think Melb will delist him when he’s out of contact. In that event, I would like to see him back on our VFL list. Very good intercept defender

Anyone heard its a done deal that Josh Kelly from gws is coming to us?

RFA at years end I think so I'd assume there'd be lots of speculation about him. Merrett as well.

Beams has quite clearly had mental issues and been medicated. I’m not sure how that is not obvious?

Why don’t prisoners wear black and white anymore?

Could have been our best chance to get Dusty Martin to the Pies matching outfits with his father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back