Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, random question, this one is for the ‘list make up’ folks. From what I’ve read, we have two list spots to fill but we’ve only got Jack Briskey training with us. Any word on what’s the deal with our other spot? Do we need to fill it before the season, or can we go in with a vacancy for the mid-season draft?

Hey folks, random question, this one is for the ‘list make up’ folks. From what I’ve read, we have two list spots to fill but we’ve only got Jack Briskey training with us. Any word on what’s the deal with our other spot? Do we need to fill it before the season, or can we go in with a vacancy for the mid-season draft?
We can hold on to a list spot (or even both of them) until the mid-season rookie draft (June 2) if we wish. We have until March 9 to take a player (or two) in the pre-season.

Have read over some threads where posters have referred to their/one/an opinion.

This article is a good read on 'just my opinion and not/entitled to it'.

We can hold on to a list spot (or even both of them) until the mid-season rookie draft (June 2) if we wish. We have until March 9 to take a player (or two) in the pre-season.
Okay cool, thanks. So whether it’s now or later, we are obliged to list two more players?

Last edited:
Have read over some threads where posters have referred to their/one/an opinion.

This article is a good read on 'just my opinion and not/entitled to it'.

That’s an interesting thought experiment ...

... and a symbol of where the world is in this age where we feel the need to protect ourselves from dangerous ideas.

IMO it breaks down quickly when considering systems of belief / religion, or matters of subjectivity and aesthetic, or gut feel and instinct (by their very definition can’t be argued), yet life teaches us that we should pay close attention to them.

The video is such symbol of these crazy times ...

... masked girl dancing in empty streets to some cheery cheesy music. And oh, those black vehicles in the background are taking part in a military coup.

(True, this was Myanmar this week)

Last edited:
The video is such symbol of these crazy times ...

... masked girl dancing in empty streets to some cheery cheesy music. And oh, those black vehicles in the background are taking part in a military coup.

(True, this was Myanmar this week)

Surely that's just their version of Aerobics Oz Style?

Does anyone know whether the Collingwood AFLW team/club is run completely separately from the AFL team? For instance, are there 2 marketing departments etc? If not, why is it that the AFLW team does not receive the same attention? For instance, simple stuff like player bios. They don’t even have a bio on each player. Surely that would take minimal time and effort to put that up.
Maybe it should have been part of the report.
We know who’s fault this is.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know whether the Collingwood AFLW team/club is run completely separately from the AFL team? For instance, are there 2 marketing departments etc? If not, why is it that the AFLW team does not receive the same attention? For instance, simple stuff like player bios. They don’t even have a bio on each player. Surely that would take minimal time and effort to put that up.
Fuggen lazy Skips!!!!!!!

It’s all a bit vague but I think they just expand the FD depth of the AFL team. The limited funding allowances for VFL, AFLW, and VFLW might allow (for example) 1 addition staff person in marketing, an extra masseuse, and that type of thing. Bolster the overall support to the AFL side without breaching the FD tax threshold. But that’s just my uninformed guess. Be nice if someone who actually knew would explain it.

I would expect the marketing department was cut deep, really deep, with the onset of Covid and the mass sackings that happened across all clubs.

The AFLW team has its own set of coaches and dedicated admin staff at the club. But there are crossovers between the senior men and women. e.g. Maxy has a role in the AFLW (not exactly sure what that is, but he's part of the staff at the games), and Roughy is doing some coaching with the girls. The club's marketing department covers all our teams.

AFLW teams at all clubs are run on a different program to the AFL - different season, different training sessions, more limited club contact etc. This is all stipulated by AFL HQ, who keep it strictly controlled. I think this is also due to the fact that most of the girls have work commitments outside the clubs, and cant be at the clubs' beck and call. They need (you know) to eat and keep a roof over their heads, with the highest salary in a three tier payment system being $33k and the lowest $21k. I wonder what Tarni Brown is being paid, compared to her brothers. A tenth? A fifteenth?

Re your point about the girls not receiving the 'same attention', it all comes down to money and capacity. The club has a limited budget for these things, and the money generated by the AFLW competition is tiny and would not come close to funding the 'attention' that the men get. That's the reality.

On the bolded, if you mean Eddie, for all his faults I dont think we can blame him for this. Its all run out of AFL HQ.

Things are better than they were in 2017, when the competion was launched, and will be better again in five years. The competition is still in its infancy, and baby steps are being taken. I understand that for the AFLW salaries, but I think we'll get there.

I also note that some of the dinosaurs naysayers on here who predicted in 2017 that the women's competition wouldn't last have all gone to ground...

Re your point about the girls not receiving the 'same attention', it all comes down to money and capacity. The club has a limited budget for these things, and the money generated by the AFLW competition is tiny and would not come close to funding the 'attention' that the men get. That's the reality.

+ fair chance that AFLW players have more rights to say “I don’t want to have my profile on the footy club website” and the club / competition being understanding of that.

I also note that some of the dinosaurs naysayers on here who predicted in 2017 that the women's competition wouldn't last have all gone to ground...

There have been a few “I was against the AFLW at first but now ...” which is nice to see.

The AFLW team has its own set of coaches and dedicated admin staff at the club. But there are crossovers between the senior men and women. e.g. Maxy has a role in the AFLW (not exactly sure what that is, but he's part of the staff at the games), and Roughy is doing some coaching with the girls. The club's marketing department covers all our teams.

AFLW teams at all clubs are run on a different program to the AFL - different season, different training sessions, more limited club contact etc. This is all stipulated by AFL HQ, who keep it strictly controlled. I think this is also due to the fact that most of the girls have work commitments outside the clubs, and cant be at the clubs' beck and call. They need (you know) to eat and keep a roof over their heads, with the highest salary in a three tier payment system being $33k and the lowest $21k. I wonder what Tarni Brown is being paid, compared to her brothers. A tenth? A fifteenth?

On the bolded, if you mean Eddie, for all his faults I dont think we can blame him for this. Its all run out of AFL HQ.

Things are better than they were in 2017, when the competion was launched, and will be better again in five years. The competition is still in its infancy, and baby steps are being taken. I understand that for the AFLW salaries, but I think we'll get there.

Thanks for filling me in Vicky. The last sentence of me being a little facetious 😊.
I assumed there would be crossover in aspects such as marketing including digital. I think something as simple as an hour or so spent to ensure all players have a bio is not too much to ask. After all they represent the Collingwood Football Club and in it’s important at for us (and our young daughters) to develop a greater affinity with the players. My 12 year old daughter asked me about Lin yesterday. Unfortunately I could tell her nothing other than she is a ‘new player’. I think these little things which are easy to do, but have a great impact should be done.
And also, I’m sure as a young player it’s important for them to feel a sense of pride and importance in being able to see we are all really interested in who they are.
Again, I’m not suggesting a complete makeover. I’m just really surprised as a big club we obviously could be a lot more professional here, rather than have it seem that things like player profiles are unfinished.

+ fair chance that AFLW players have more rights to say “I don’t want to have my profile on the footy club website” and the club / competition being understanding of that.
I’m not suggesting info on their personal lives.
Maybe something like the position they play, what we are expecting from them on the field in the year ahead, what they are good at (ie speed, skills etc) and possibly where they came from. Just standard stuff which I’d be shocked was an issue for them

Thanks for filling me in Vicky. The last sentence of me being a little facetious 😊.
I assumed there would be crossover in aspects such as marketing including digital. I think something as simple as an hour or so spent to ensure all players have a bio is not too much to ask. After all they represent the Collingwood Football Club and in it’s important at for us (and our young daughters) to develop a greater affinity with the players. My 12 year old daughter asked me about Lin yesterday. Unfortunately I could tell her nothing other than she is a ‘new player’. I think these little things which are easy to do, but have a great impact should be done.
And also, I’m sure as a young player it’s important for them to feel a sense of pride and importance in being able to see we are all really interested in who they are.
Again, I’m not suggesting a complete makeover. I’m just really surprised as a big club we obviously could be a lot more professional here, rather than have it seem that things like player profiles are unfinished.

Fair points

I’m not suggesting info on their personal lives.
Maybe something like the position they play, what we are expecting from them on the field in the year ahead, what they are good at (ie speed, skills etc) and possibly where they came from. Just standard stuff which I’d be shocked was an issue for them

The AFLW website and app provides some insights into the various clubs and their players.

I have just switched to a new laptop and have annoying panels down the sides instead of the full forum page. Anyone know how I can get rid of them?
In case this problem hasn't been sorted out it just sounds like the width of the page needs to be adjusted (Change width!):
1612665883585.png
This is down near the bottom of the page.

It is very easily fixed, though for me it quite often changes by itself to the narrow look. I find that rather annoying and don't know why it keeps happening!

In case this problem hasn't been sorted out it just sounds like the width of the page needs to be adjusted (Change width!):
View attachment 1053036
This is down near the bottom of the page.

It is very easily fixed, though for me it quite often changes by itself to the narrow look. I find that rather annoying and don't know why it keeps happening!
It has narrowed about 35% without me doing anything! Thanks for the tip. I changed width as you suggested but it has only moved a fraction. Still, I am 50% better off than I was yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back