Autopsy Doomsday - Diabolical Dogs Downed by Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

BB43A1E5-30A7-4770-A80E-F0AD3AF62F52.jpeg BB43A1E5-30A7-4770-A80E-F0AD3AF62F52.jpeg
Sweet, Bont, Macrea, Treloar, Libba, Smith and Lipinski

BB43A1E5-30A7-4770-A80E-F0AD3AF62F52.jpeg

Attachments

• DA22521C-08DB-4049-BBF5-DB8B8363F4BF.jpeg
    DA22521C-08DB-4049-BBF5-DB8B8363F4BF.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
Bad luck guys, I have a soft spot for the Doggies.

Not sure how much Bevo is involved in list management, but I do feel for him given the unbalanced nature of the list he's working with, with so many good mids but not many good KPPs. He's kinda hamstrung and makes it tough to coach.

Libba was great tonight back in the middle where he should be, but can't blame Bevo for putting Bailey Smith in there as he's a young gun. The issue is the team has so many good mids that realistically some need to be played out of position, which isn't really good for the team or individual player.

Then the KPPs...Cordy and Gardener are pretty average and the team has no second ruck/forward. This means that basically the only way the Dogs look good and win is if there is speed on the ball and the midfield is dominating. As soon as they game slows down and becomes a contest the lack of good KPPs really hurts. Puts a lot of pressure on the midfield as they can't just break even, they have to be right on top, all the time.

I think the list manager has a bit to answer for, which could include Nick Austin who is now at Carlton (though he's done pretty well for us getting Saad, Williams, Cerra, Hewett and Young). In an ideal world, trading a few mids for some good KPPs would really balance out the team and make it stronger imo.

When we aren't on top through the middle we look 2nd rate. Haven't really had the chance to address list issues the last 2 drafts with all of our picks gobbled up by Jamarra and Sam Darcy

I blacked out momentarily during an early morning jog. Failed to warm up properly :$. But, being young at the time, never thought it was serious, just got up and went home. No issues since 🤞
The first symptom of my neurological illness occurred in late 2014 when I fainted in our living room. I fell and hit my head on our TV shelving in doing so. I went to the ER and was told I was dehydrated and to drink more water and to add more salt to my diet to combat low blood pressure. Of course I was 62 at the time but it took over four years for my illness to be actually diagosed. I've fainted a few times after I moved back here but not since I was put on meds to increase my BP four years ago. Fainting is very scary. I'm glad that Hayden will have the best care possible.

He does the same thing every time, at bounces he runs straight in jumps early into the opponents body, then he is trying to tap as he's falling back to the ground at his lowest point allowing his opponent an easy tap. at throw ins he makes body contact early again, the result often being he gets bumped off the line and allows the opponent a tap or walk away.

i cant believe this is how they want him to ruck, these tactics are more likely his choice to minimise injury and pain, but arent good for winning

100 x this. He’s often back on the ground by the time the ball comes down.

He’s got height, mobility and athleticism - if he’s ever going to make it as a ruck he needs to play to his strengths. He got pushed out of the ruck by De Koning ffs, he’s never going to be a physical threat.

You know, I think I have read every word Che ever had printed. I know I have read every word of Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky, Goldman, Bakunin.... et al

I am not as good at crafting words but will try to make somewhat of a coherent case

All revolutions will have something like a misfired shot hitting the wrong target or crisis of faith, they are always tested. The established order will fight as hard as it can to maintain control. Before the Cuban revolution was successful, Che was an isolated rebel eating donkey meat in the hills, barely surviiving.

Yet that band of rebels changed and continuues to influence world politics

Sisters, Brothers, Comrades... do not lose faith in the revolution... they take time

Having said that we do not really have the luxury of time and we may want to hurry the F@*K up

I will say I loved being back at the footy. Despite losing I really enjoyed just being there and watching footy live and alive again. Well done to carlton fans turning up. I hated every single one of you insufferable, gloating....

To put it terms we can all understand our lack of developing or in fact any KPDs is akin to the situation of the Cuban Symphony Orchestra in the time of Che Guevara’s rule. Che loved his brass section, some say it was the best brass section in the world. Even so he kept recruiting more and more brass musicians to the exclusion of all others, particularly in the keyboards section. They did ok but at some stage you get to Tchaikovsky’s piano concerto on the playlist and boy they sucked. Big time.
I love this - but am compelled to say that an orchestra doesn’t have a keyboard section. For a Tchaikovsky piano concerto, the pianist is the soloist so not part of the orchestra. And in the occasional orchestral works that do involve a piano in places, the pianist is part of the percussion section because it is a percussive instrument (based on hammers striking).

Thank you and don’t fret, I’m well out of here

Alex Keath is either short of a gallop, playing injured, or both. He wasn't even playing this poorly in his first games for Adelaide when he naturally looked a bit hesitant and lost. His form has been more or less consistent and on an upward trajectory in the 70-odd games he's played that it's so bloody bizarre that he's played so poorly to mean that you can infer that his two pre-season injuries are still affecting him, because it's a lot more logical explain for his form to just randomly drop off a cliff.

We have to hope it doesn't last, because it leaves us bloody exposed if it does.

Hes got a newborn at home. Might be sleep dep.

100 x this. He’s often back on the ground by the time the ball comes down.

He’s got height, mobility and athleticism - if he’s ever going to make it as a ruck he needs to play to his strengths. He got pushed out of the ruck by De Koning ffs, he’s never going to be a physical threat.
Timmy's ruck contests are often frustrating but I wouldn't give up on him completely in that regard. Last week against Gawn he contested way better so if he can do it for one game he can do it in every game.

Timmy's ruck contests are often frustrating but I wouldn't give up on him completely in that regard. Last week against Gawn he contested way better so if he can do it for one game he can do it in every game.
He is valuable around the ground. Clear as day we need a second ruck for between 20% and 50% of the ruck work amd Tim to rest forward.

Martin when fit can assist in the ruck but that is all.

Keeping Sweet suggests he can support forward and ruck yet in the VFL he rarely rucked. Perplexed at what we are actually doing in an area we have been exposed and were again

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely no excuse for that midfield effort in the first half. No accountability and only happy to run one way. Our backs had no chance.
What a joke that we have the same problems 6, 7 years on. And now they are even worse. Our game plan is still based on a small forward line like Brad Johnson, Adam Cooney, etc etc. I fear JUH and Darcy will never reach their full potential with this game plan.

We are slow. Over the years, many here have called out that speed doesnt matter as long as you have quick ball movement. Well that doesn't do squat when you don't have the ball. We dont catch anyone, we don't cover ground quickly, we don't make space for others, we don't get easy goals. Leg speed has a lot to do with that.
Definitely need some more pacy mids to be able to close down oppo mids easy exits from centre clearances

I want a decent footy journo in the presser to put the coach on the spot, and ask him WTF he thought he'd achieve tonight? WTAF was our plan to stop 3 Blues talls, why weren't we prepared for Blues to hit us hard, and why not throw something left of centre into the mix when we were being smashed, as Hansen probably knew or guessed everything else.
4 years with one average ruckman. Martin is done & always injured. Play Sweet all year. Let him develop and have a run at it.

At least he competes and is a tap ruckman who likes contact. We must play 2 big units - it will ensure we can make our forward half something opposition need to worry about - English, JUH, Nauts and a bit of Bont. It looked like short people on Thursday.
s**t selections and crap structure.
Backline was never gunna beat their key big forwards. That team and forward structure will never stand up in finals.
Beveridge needs to be challenged to change the parts that aren’t working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 years with one average ruckman. Martin is done & always injured. Play Sweet all year. Let him develop and have a run at it.

At least he competes and is a tap ruckman who likes contact. We must play 2 big units - it will ensure we can make our forward half something opposition need to worry about - English, JUH, Nauts and a bit of Bont. It looked like short people on Thursday.
Backline was never gunna beat their key big forwards. That team and forward structure will never stand up in finals.
… and putting Cordy and Hannan in centre bounce ruck contests is under 10 crap. The coach rarely responds to what is unfolding during a game. He rarely restructures anything and it lfvhe does respond it is always way too late. I can’t understand why he plays Naughton so deep when he is often out of the contest for way to long. You need your best players IN THE GAME as often as possible.

Bring back Hanson as senior coach.

I don't think Naughton is selfish mate - Not for the first time he almost seriously injured himself throwing himself at the footy. He's been given the role of being the main man and with that comes some responsibility to take the big shots.

I love this - but am compelled to say that an orchestra doesn’t have a keyboard section. For a Tchaikovsky piano concerto, the pianist is the soloist so not part of the orchestra. And in the occasional orchestral works that do involve a piano in places, the pianist is part of the percussion section because it is a percussive instrument (based on hammers striking).

Thank you and don’t fret, I’m well out of here

Wow. That was proof that alternate universes exist......

I get the feel it's a confidence thing, but what would I know! :tearsofjoy:

I get the feel it's a confidence thing, but what would I know! :tearsofjoy:
Looking Up Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Some good points but would suggest you watch Sweet at VFL level before you wish him to play AFL all year. Sweet IMO is an average tap ruckman and a liability around the ground so if he rucks for say 50% of the time what would he do for the remaining 50%?

For 10 years Carlton has built its side. Across all of the key positions they are set. Cripps a gun and smart trading has filled in around them.

Our KPD has always been a vulnerability. It's a gaping hole now.

At the draft, I want a full hand (six picks) with at least two KPDs.

KPPs take years to develop. McKay and Curnow are in their 6th year of footy.

Outside that you have a list that can contend, so surely Dogs look to trade in mature KPPs to challenge for a flag now.

... and making the tackles , really should have had 4-5 goals last year

Future super bright for this kid
Ugle-Hagan's stats show zero tackles. No physical contact with Carlton defenders. He had 6 disposals, only Baily Williams had fewer, 5. 2 marks. He kicked 1 goal (snap in the first few minutes when the ball fell loose in front of him) and 2 behinds for the rest of the game, there's no way he could have scored 4-5 goals. I made a point of watching the forward line for most of the final quarter. Bont is wasted as a deep forward, Naughton was active, chased, ran hard well up the ground, made position all over the forward line. Your man drifted, jogged after defenders with the ball, no urgency whatsoever. He played like a lost soul, had zero impact. He may well end up being as good as you predict but showed nothing in the Carlton game to encourage that view.

Ugle-Hagan's stats show zero tackles. No physical contact with Carlton defenders. He had 6 disposals, only Baily Williams had fewer, 5. 2 marks. He kicked 1 goal (snap in the first few minutes when the ball fell loose in front of him) and 2 behinds for the rest of the game, there's no way he could have scored 4-5 goals. I made a point of watching the forward line for most of the final quarter. Bont is wasted as a deep forward, Naughton was active, chased, ran hard well up the ground, made position all over the forward line. Your man drifted, jogged after defenders with the ball, no urgency whatsoever. He played like a lost soul, had zero impact. He may well end up being as good as you predict but showed nothing in the Carlton game to encourage that view.
I was content with Marra's output, thought he did okay. He did lay a couple really good bumps (including flattening one of the Carlton defenders), so I can't agree with you saying there was no physical contact. If he was paid that mark when Naughton got the free, he very likely would've finished 2.2 which is a decent return for a developing 2nd/3rd tall forward, especially considering he missed a pretty easy one he'd usually slot, so arguably should've finished with 3 goals. He's far from Naughton currently, but I thought he went alright and am quite optimistic about his future

KPPs take years to develop. McKay and Curnow are in their 6th year of footy.

Outside that you have a list that can contend, so surely Dogs look to trade in mature KPPs to challenge for a flag now.
We did with Bruce and Keath. We need(ed) another mature KPD - now, but also leading into the trade period last year. That's why so many are frustrated. Keath needed a mature partner last year, and with Bruce out for months more, we either need a mature tall alongside Naughton, or push English forward to assist. That means a decent ruck option to pinch hit - We are lacking that one too.

He had 3 scores so there is 3 possible goals. Then the mark that was paid as a free kick to Naughton makes 4. There was another snap that he fluffed which is 5. I think that’s what the poster was getting at.

From your viewing why is Bont wasted deep forward? Is it lack of forward craft, leading patterns, etc. or is your comment that he’s wasted there relative to what he brings to the midfield?

I was content with Marra's output, thought he did okay. He did lay a couple really good bumps (including flattening one of the Carlton defenders), so I can't agree with you saying there was no physical contact. If he was paid that mark when Naughton got the free, he very likely would've finished 2.2 which is a decent return for a developing 2nd/3rd tall forward, especially considering he missed a pretty easy one he'd usually slot, so arguably should've finished with 3 goals. He's far from Naughton currently, but I thought he went alright and am quite optimistic about his future
That Naughton-free-kick mark was a beauty, floated across the front of the pack and grapped it at full stretch, Royce Hart-esque, there's no doubt he has exquisite talents. I didn't notice the 2 bumps but did the indifferent last quarter. I suppose it's glass half full/empty. On Thursday's effort he's not worth his place and nowhere near future rave reviews.

Last edited:
That Naughton-free-kick mark was a beauty, floated across the front of the pack and grapped it at full stretch, Royce Hart-esque, there's no doubt he has exquisite talents. I didn't notice the 2 bumps but did the indifferent last quarter. I suppose it's glass half full/empty. On Thursday's effort he's not worth his place nowhere near future rave reviews.
His reputation is currently inflated by his status as number 1 draft pick, no doubt. I'd like to see him stick his tackles more and hold onto marks at full stretch (I counted at least 3 dropped overhead marks, could've been more). For now though, at least while Bruce is out, I'm happy to see him retain his spot. It's better than relying on Cordy and Hannan as our only other tall targets if Naughton is in a bad spot or on the bench

Remove this Banner Ad

Back