Autopsy Doomsday - Diabolical Dogs Downed by Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

He had 3 scores so there is 3 possible goals. Then the mark that was paid as a free kick to Naughton makes 4. There was another snap that he fluffed which is 5. I think that’s what the poster was getting at.

From your viewing why is Bont wasted deep forward? Is it lack of forward craft, leading patterns, etc. or is your comment that he’s wasted there relative to what he brings to the midfield?
On the other had, he was lucky to get the 1st, right place, right time. Bont's too talented and influential to be left languishing in the goal square-forward 50 with the ball nowhere is sight for a quarter when the game's to be won. In the midfield, he's a constant threat.

His reputation is currently inflated by his status as number 1 draft pick, no doubt. I'd like to see him stick his tackles more and hold onto marks at full stretch (I counted at least 3 dropped overhead marks, could've been more). For now though, at least while Bruce is out, I'm happy to see him retain his spot. It's better than relying on Cordy and Hannan as our only other tall targets if Naughton is in a bad spot or on the bench
Cordy, in particular, does a lot away from the ball, grunt work. Bruce brought grunt and strength The coach has to weigh that up.

Marra's not showing aggression yet. He showed it in under 18s so I'm not too concerned.

Seems very jittery at times.
Marra stays in permanently, unless injured. Even when Bruce comes back in, Marra stays, people better get use to him.

Marra's not showing aggression yet. He showed it in under 18s so I'm not too concerned.

Seems very jittery at times.
Nobody expects him to be a Barry Hall, Dermot Brereton or Neil Balme. it's running hard to get to a position to tackle then laying a tackle, blocking to allow a team mate in a better position to mark, chase even if he thinks he can't get there before the defender disposes.

An incurable condition that sometimes afflicts former champion schoolboy forwards is that they are accustomed to being the go-to leaving the grunt work to others. At senior level, when they are not the go-to, they get lost. Perhaps that's Ugle-Hagan.

Cordy, in particular, does a lot away from the ball, grunt work. Bruce brought grunt and strength The coach has to weigh that up.

Cordy grunt work? Well I didn’t see any grunt work vs the Dees when played forward in round 1. I saw a guy who couldn’t keep up with no forward craft or nous. It’s backline or nothing for Cordy and even then it’s only because the cupboard is bare.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cordy grunt work? Well I didn’t see any grunt work vs the Dees when played forward in round 1. I saw a guy who couldn’t keep up with no forward craft or nous. It’s backline or nothing for Cordy and even then it’s only because the cupboard is bare.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How's the weather in the Old Dart, these days ? Watch more closely. Cordy doesn't give up in the expectation that the defender will get clear. If you've ever seen the video, indeed if you weren't there to watch it, James Cook took off after his full back running off to clear the ball, got a bad bounce, Cook caught up, tacked the FB, free kick, goal, 'Dogs win. Show it to Ugle-Hagan.

If you're concerned about Marra's output, consider that Logan McDonald had six touches and no score for Sydney last night, and Riley Thilthorpe was dropped for that Adelaide side that looked as bad as ever against Collingwood this afternoon. Meanwhile, Marra had a goal, a goal assist, and two behinds. That's not to say Marra is way ahead of either McDonald or Thilthorpe, but that these players will take time.

If you're concerned about Marra's output, consider that Logan McDonald had six touches and no score for Sydney last night, and Riley Thilthorpe was dropped for that Adelaide side that looked as bad as ever against Collingwood this afternoon. Meanwhile, Marra had a goal, a goal assist, and two behinds. That's not to say Marra is way ahead of either McDonald or Thilthorpe, but that these players will take time.
The results you speak of are so mediocre as to be be meaningless. Ugle-Hagan is supposed to be the ultimate rare talent, according to some, he isn't, nothing near it. He has exquisite talents, that doesn't translate into Franklinesque standing or anything like it. He's now 2 years into the system, Bailey Smith was a superstar at the same time.

Ugle-Hagan's stats show zero tackles. No physical contact with Carlton defenders. He had 6 disposals, only Baily Williams had fewer, 5. 2 marks. He kicked 1 goal (snap in the first few minutes when the ball fell loose in front of him) and 2 behinds for the rest of the game, there's no way he could have scored 4-5 goals. I made a point of watching the forward line for most of the final quarter. Bont is wasted as a deep forward, Naughton was active, chased, ran hard well up the ground, made position all over the forward line. Your man drifted, jogged after defenders with the ball, no urgency whatsoever. He played like a lost soul, had zero impact. He may well end up being as good as you predict but showed nothing in the Carlton game to encourage that view.

He had 3 shots and dropped at least 2 marks inside 50 so he certainly could've had 5 goals. It was a low tackle game and we had 8 players not lay a single tackle and 10 players had fewer pressure acts than JUH.

He certainly showed something.

He's now 2 years into the system, Bailey Smith was a superstar at the same time.

Bailey Smith was able to play NAB League in his draft year, JUH was not able to and on top of that the VFL season was cut short last year.
Bailey Smith is a midfielder, JUH is not.

This may be his second year in the system but he's certainly not had the same development options of the pre-covid era.

He had 3 shots and dropped at least 2 marks inside 50 so he certainly could've had 5 goals. It was a low tackle game and we had 8 players not lay a single tackle and 10 players had fewer pressure acts than JUH.

He certainly showed something.
Love your kindness, OG. Stats aside, he got nowhere near a tackle. He seems to think that all he has to do is to run foward and the ball will be presented lace out. He wandered around the forward the 50 in the last quarter without a clue what to do, my grandfather's home paddock orphan lamb had a greater sense of direction
Bailey Smith was able to play NAB League in his draft year, JUH was not able to and on top of that the VFL season was cut short last year.

This may be his second year in the system but he's certainly not had the same development options of the pre-covid era.
Smith has urgency, drive to be better, work rate and lacks Ugle-Hagan's sense of entitlement, whose body language shrieks kick it to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give you the Covid 2 years but when the ball's coming in or when it's in dispute, it's effort, not history. With the lad's talent, I hope he becomes as good as you and other predict, he hasn't shown and isn't showing, it.

The results you speak of are so mediocre as to be be meaningless. Ugle-Hagan is supposed to be the ultimate rare talent, according to some, he isn't, nothing near it. He has exquisite talents, that doesn't translate into Franklinesque standing or anything like it. He's now 2 years into the system, Bailey Smith was a superstar at the same time.

The second best forward of this generation kicked 13 goals from 10 games in his second season. Again, these players take time. Don't compare Marra to Franklin. It's lazy and unnecessary. Marra will be his own player, and he'll take a few years to come into his own.

The second best forward of this generation kicked 13 goals from 10 games in his second season. Again, these players take time. Don't compare Marra to Franklin. It's lazy and unnecessary. Marra will be his own player, and he'll take a few years to come into his own.
If you are talking about Franklin, that's not my comparison, that's the Press and supporters. Franklin played his first 2 years, in and out, as a half back or mid, which is where Ugle-Hagan should have been blooded, the way Cooney was eased in as a half forward. That said, if he's to play as a forward freak, then he's not up to it, yet, may never be. In the meantime, we are a man short in our second weakest position. The game is the team, not a possible freakish talent. The club went for decades excited by individual talents over team achievement. No more.

And Cam Faulkner was the next Andrew McLeod. These comparisons never augur well for a young player. In relation to JUH, I'd be happy to never hear the Buddy comparison again. Hopefully, Jamarra is 'keeping it real', but it does take a very strong personality to manage those types of expectations.

And Cam Faulkner was the next Andrew McLeod. These comparisons never augur well for a young player. In relation to JUH, I'd be happy to never hear the Buddy comparison again. Hopefully, Jamarra is 'keeping it real', but it does take a very strong personality to manage those types of expectations.
...if he has that strong character.

Love your kindness, OG. Stats aside, he got nowhere near a tackle. He seems to think that all he has to do is to run foward and the ball will be presented lace out. He wandered around the forward the 50 in the last quarter without a clue what to do, my grandfather's home paddock orphan lamb had a greater sense of direction

Smith has urgency, drive to be better, work rate and lacks Ugle-Hagan's sense of entitlement, whose body language shrieks kick it to me.
Is kicking it to the forwards our plan B? It could work!

Yes, a talent that due to the pandemic didn’t get much football, pre to being drafted and not much VFL last year. You are being a bit harsh on him.

Yes, a talent that due to the pandemic didn’t get much football, pre to being drafted and not much VFL last year. You are being a bit harsh on him.
Probably. Glimpses of his talent emerge for example that mark he took in the front of the pack but disallowed because of the free kick to Naughton,. He lacks urgency and waits for the ball to come to him rather than hunting it. I hope that he does become what his admirers predict. I have yet to see evidence of the work and attitude required to complement talent. At AFL level, everyone has talent.

Probably but if you watch him, glimpses of his talent emerge for example that mark he took in the front of the pack but disallowed because of the free kick to Naughton,. He lacks urgency and waits for the ball to come to him rather than hunting it. I hope that he does become what his admirers predict. I have yet to see evidence of the work and attitude required to complement talent. At AFL level, everyone has talent.
This is great reading for Doggies fans who know by now that you are wrong about everything.

Probably but if you watch him, glimpses of his talent emerge for example that mark he took in the front of the pack but disallowed because of the free kick to Naughton,. He lacks urgency and waits for the ball to come to him rather than hunting it. I hope that he does become what his admirers predict. I have yet to see evidence of the work and attitude required to complement talent. At AFL level, everyone has talent.
The suggestion that everyone has talent is too simplistic as very clearly it is in differing degrees. JUH and Will Hayes have different levels of talent. People are just pleased he appears to be heading in the right direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back